News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 31, 2013, 07:06:06 AM
Slavs, Hungarians, and especially ROMAnians opening butthurt QQ threads on the CK2 forum is hilarious.

Ok what could the Slavs possibly be complaining about?  They have their own religion now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2013, 07:55:50 AM
Slavs, Hungarians, and especially ROMAnians opening butthurt QQ threads on the CK2 forum is hilarious.

Ok what could the Slavs possibly be complaining about?  They have their own religion now.

not enough details

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on May 31, 2013, 07:57:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2013, 07:55:50 AM

not enough details

Indeed, the same things they always complain about.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on May 31, 2013, 03:21:26 AM
I tried starting as Piast, the legendary founder of the Polish Piast dynasty, but for some reason the Polanie tribe is an unplayable Republic. WTF?  :huh:

The bigger question is why they would allow you to play a fictitious character in a supposedly historical game.
If they started in the 5th century, would they also let you start with the sea monster ancestor of the Merovingians?

Is there any evidence of an identifiable Polish state or principality in the 9th century?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 31, 2013, 09:08:09 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 31, 2013, 03:21:26 AM
I tried starting as Piast, the legendary founder of the Polish Piast dynasty, but for some reason the Polanie tribe is an unplayable Republic. WTF?  :huh:

The bigger question is why they would allow you to play a fictitious character in a supposedly historical game.
If they started in the 5th century, would they also let you start with the sea monster ancestor of the Merovingians?

Is there any evidence of an identifiable Polish state or principality in the 9th century?

Well they have to do something with those territories. Also isn't Rurik kind of legendary as well?

Besides, all they have start out in Poland area is a bunch of Polish cultured tribes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

I don't think anyone doubts that there was Varangian settlement of Russia.  I just don't know if anyone really believes there were functional polities in contemporary Poland.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on May 31, 2013, 10:23:08 AM
I just don't know if anyone really believes there were functional polities in contemporary Poland.

Well there wasn't anything particularly functional about the polities in Ireland but they get represented.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I don't think anyone doubts that there was Varangian settlement of Russia.

Of course I don't think I said that - though clearly if we want to discuss that, the two large Norse states they had probably weren't strong/so well established as represented.

Quote from: Queequeg on May 31, 2013, 10:23:08 AMI just don't know if anyone really believes there were functional polities in contemporary Poland.

They have to have something there and I don't see what's so wrong with having a slew of Slavic tribes.

Queequeg

Oh.  That seems reasonable, actually. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2013, 09:49:18 AM
Well they have to do something with those territories.

I take your point - you could use random West Slavic names but at that point why not just use the names we associate with known later dynasties.

Still it does point to one of the problems with having a 9th century start date on a map that includes all of Europe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 31, 2013, 10:28:40 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2013, 09:49:18 AM
Well they have to do something with those territories.

I take your point - you could use random West Slavic names but at that point why not just use the names we associate with known later dynasties.

Still it does point to one of the problems with having a 9th century start date on a map that includes all of Europe.

Yep, agree on both parts.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2013, 10:24:34 AM
I just don't know if anyone really believes there were functional polities in contemporary Poland.

Well there wasn't anything particularly functional about the polities in Ireland but they get represented.

They did have some very advanced law talking on Ireland, though. Whether that contributed or alleviated the disorder is up for interpretation. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

muhaha, I managed to get the ROMAnian "we ruled the world, like, forever" thread locked.

Razgovory

You know, when you do shit like that, for instance write ROMAnians it doesn't cause us to think of you very highly.

On a different note I managed to make a one province chieftan King of Norway.  Granted it's not the most valuable territory, but it looks good on a resume.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2013, 12:23:35 PM
You know, when you do shit like that, for instance write ROMAnians it doesn't cause us to think of you very highly.

Yep, typical balkan kid.