News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Are we sure that the "short reign penalty is counted from the character's first liege-ship, and not from the time he took the current office" new feature works? Because I have my doubts.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2013, 02:43:28 PM
Are we sure that the "short reign penalty is counted from the character's first liege-ship, and not from the time he took the current office" new feature works? Because I have my doubts.

It's neither of these. It counts for each vassal separately, from the moment he started to be a vassal of this character.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2013, 07:37:39 AM
I really need a male heir.  The wife ain't doing her job.

Are you using "have a son" ambition? I think it increases the chances of pregnancy.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 20, 2013, 02:49:29 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2013, 02:43:28 PM

It's neither of these. It counts for each vassal separately, from the moment he started to be a vassal of this character.

oh crap

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 20, 2013, 02:58:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2013, 07:37:39 AM
I really need a male heir.  The wife ain't doing her job.

Are you using "have a son" ambition? I think it increases the chances of pregnancy.

Tried that and I knocked her up.  Then the bitch went nuts.  The whole Empire is riding on that boy.  She's over forty now so I may try to divorce her and get a new wife.  Problem is, she keeps having vassals try to take her throne.  I had to get involved three times to prevent that from happening.  Good News is that the Golden Horde went Catholic so I can marry into them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

Finally decided to update CKII and bought a bunch of DLCs - the last one, the roman one, music and portraits - yet after exiting and re-launching I still cannot play republics.  Are there special settings that need changing before they become available?  Some cache to delete and so forth?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Woot!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?660274-Republic-of-Ragusa

QuoteIt is insulting for me as a Croat to make it part of Serbia. Engine wise, you can make it a republic under Byzantium, later Venice as it was in real life. Ragusa situation was unique and that makes it worthy of historic accuracy and gameplay value.

QuoteI does not insult any of that, it insults ppl who died defending Croatia from Serbs in 1990s. This is a virtual slap to everyone who defended the city during the siege in 1991.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on January 22, 2013, 05:07:04 PM
Finally decided to update CKII and bought a bunch of DLCs - the last one, the roman one, music and portraits - yet after exiting and re-launching I still cannot play republics.  Are there special settings that need changing before they become available?  Some cache to delete and so forth?

G.

Not really. Playable republics on any given map should show on the right side of the selection screen.

Martinus

By the way, I really dig the new system with title names changing with the owner.

As Byzantium (Alexiad start), I conquered the Duchy of Djuklia and it became Duchy of Diocletia. :nerd:

Btw, in my Byzantium game I made a mistake of creating the Despotate of Greece early on. Now I have to pretty much suck the guy's cock all the time, as he is powerful enough to singlehandedly make any faction a threat to my rule (by the way, if you have many kids, the +20 bonus for giving them to your vassals for training per kid is a great help).

So far he managed to reduce crown authority once and replace my Komnenos Emperor with another Komnenos great uncle - I agreed and reloaded as the new guy is much better, trait wise, but it is a pain.

That being said, my Byzantium controls now the Despotates of Sicily, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Wallachia, Greece, Armenia and Anatolia so the guy's prominence should decrease.

My Emperor is 60, though, and he only has three daughters, the oldest of them being 7, so I am bracing already for a bumpy ride. Fortunately, the imperial coffers overflow with gold, so I will be buying my vassals' loyalty left and right.

garbon

Yes I unfortunately had the Despotate of Taurica form in my game which causes endless troubles. Though good news was Despot didn't actually have most of Crimea (his holding originally was Thrace and then Thracesia - failed to anticipate his inheritance :blush:) so the Despots  have also spent a lot of time being back stabbed by his vassals.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather deal with 10 Despots than 100 Douxoi (?) as I can much more easily assassinate any that manages to get a claim on the Imperial Crown (it took me a while to realize that giving Despotates away to my brothers and younger sons was not such a great idea after all  :homestar: ) but it gets hairy if even one of them starts to hate you for some reason.

For example, right now, my Chancellor and Spymaster are pretty much on a constant mission to the court of the Greek Despot (a Doukas), one making sure he likes me, and the other making sure he does not think about joining any factions. The dude also gets to tutor my two younger sons, has gold gift sent his way and is an Antipatos.

But the plus side is a 20k strong army being raised with one click.

garbon

Yep that's all true. Really I've found the issue comes in when you get a female ruler or one with an exceptional amount of negative traits. Then the shit can hit the fan unless you are prepared.

Martinus

By the way, as the Byzantine emperor, I really like the new dynamics brought to the game by the merchant republics. The Mediterranean is dominated by Venice, Pisa, Genoa and Ancona (with Venice having managed to actually get Apulia and several cities in Sicily before I conquered everything else, so we will eventually come to blows in each other). For now I am allied to Venice who keeps sending me cash gifts and has built trading posts in most of Greece, while asking me to embargo Genoa and Pisa (the Genoese used to control Neapolis and Benevento, but were kicked out of there by glorious imperial armies when they were gang-raped by Venice and Pisa).

I'm also allied by marriage to the Holy Roman Emperor (who managed to subjugate Poland), while Hungary and Rus are my other two powerful Northern neighbours.

I pretty much kicked the Turks out of Armenia and Anatolia, and my Eastern Despots are strong enough to now carry their own regional wars in Georgia. Syria/Mesopotamia is divided between several minor Sultanates, and Faatimids are reduced to Egypt.

Tamas

Patch is out tomorrow, changelog is up. My favourite part (beside a long list of bugfixes):

The Muslim Invasion CB now requires either a foothold in or border with the target kingdom

Martinus

I love that my gay relatives will no longer bug me to find them a spouse.