News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2012, 04:26:22 AM
You are clearly doing something wrong. In my game as England, which I abandonned around 1250 because it was getting too boring and I did not really feel like expanding on the continent, I only really had to deal with massive revolts of the kingdoms/areas conquered by a King after that King died. Once I went through this, on following generations only new acquisitions revolted but the old ones stayed loyal.

You are either over expanding or just not using the earlier revolts to reshuffle your kingdom so it is more orderly and loyal.

I know what happened, my vassals were getting a -80 hit to relations due to me having too many duchies and being over the demsne limit and all revolting in the few days that elapsed before me managing to hit the pause button. The earlier revolts mean that every single nobleperson in my realm was put there by the previous king or the present one. Once the long reign and defended my claim and gave me my land bonuses disappear and are replaced by that -80 hit for a few seconds they revolt.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

I suggested for a feature like this to be added in a patch:

QuoteNew feature suggestion: Pilgrimmages
Here's a suggestion for a possible patch - adding a triggerable event (the way tournaments, hunts or feasts work right now), allowing the ruler to go on a pilgrimmage.

There could be several locations available (e.g. "Go on a local pilgrimmage" "Go on a pilgrimmage to Rome", "Go on a pilgrimmage to Jerusalem"), and would require the ruler (and the target of the pilgrimmage) possibly not to be at war.

Once triggered, the event would allow you to take your vassals with you, pay for the trip etc. and then involve a number of mini-events happening on the way, such as robbers, storms, possibility of being captured and the like. During the pilgrimmage, the ruler would be considered to be located in the court of the ruler of the place where the pilgrimmage is heading (I know this is not optimal, but probably representing the progress through different provinces is too much of a hassle), with obvious possible negative effects (e.g. embarking on a pilgrimmage to muslim-controlled Jerusalem would involve a risk of the emir of Jerusalem imprisoning the ruler etc.)

The reward would be lots of Piety and possibly some extra bonuses (e.g. giving a Crusader-like trait or Zealous etc.) and other potential bonuses. It would also be a way to get rid of Excommunication, Henry-at-Compostella style.

What do you guys think?

Go support it if you like it.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?589697-New-feature-suggestion-Pilgrimmages&p=13486493#post13486493

Habbaku

It'd probably help if you spelled pilgrimage correctly.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on February 23, 2012, 04:19:34 AM
My nephew the gay duke of Brittany died, I was his heir. I was running at high speed because I was a peace and was saving up cash to buy thos buildings that give me heavy cav.

Thanks for remind me--is there any way to mod the game speeds?  Like, extremely fast is about 200% too fast, but very fast is about 50% too slow.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 12:00:30 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 11:06:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 04:24:54 PM
Quote from: ulmont on February 22, 2012, 03:47:15 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 22, 2012, 03:44:30 PM
Truces work one way. The day after the white peace and you demobilize you can declare war on the guy who just attacked you without malus.

Holy Orders, btw, don't have to be demobilized between war declarations.  I can't remember if mercenaries do.

Mercs dont have to be either.

I don't understand why levies have to be stood down anyway.  Why would I not prepare an invasion force before invading?

But of course if my invasion force is holy orders and/or mercenaries I can mass them on the border no prob.  I don't get the reasoning.

I think the reasoning is so that you can't bum rush an AI nation by getting your troops all in place.

An AI reacting to the massing of an army on its border?  Too hard to code, clearly. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 04:04:34 PM
My nephew the gay duke of Brittany died, I was his heir. I was running at high speed because I was a peace and was saving up cash to buy thos buildings that give me heavy cav.

Thanks for remind me--is there any way to mod the game speeds?  Like, extremely fast is about 200% too fast, but very fast is about 50% too slow.

I'd like it to go even faster for me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 04:05:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 12:00:30 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 11:06:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2012, 04:24:54 PM
Quote from: ulmont on February 22, 2012, 03:47:15 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 22, 2012, 03:44:30 PM
Truces work one way. The day after the white peace and you demobilize you can declare war on the guy who just attacked you without malus.

Holy Orders, btw, don't have to be demobilized between war declarations.  I can't remember if mercenaries do.

Mercs dont have to be either.

I don't understand why levies have to be stood down anyway.  Why would I not prepare an invasion force before invading?

But of course if my invasion force is holy orders and/or mercenaries I can mass them on the border no prob.  I don't get the reasoning.

I think the reasoning is so that you can't bum rush an AI nation by getting your troops all in place.

An AI reacting to the massing of an army on its border?  Too hard to code, clearly. :P

For P'dox? Likely.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 23, 2012, 04:06:27 PM

I'd like it to go even faster for me.

Actually, I've a lot of moments when I wish it would.

Besides, the game pauses when you get your next king. Just push pause again before closing the window and you can tweak things before everyone else gets mad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Yeah - I really wish there was a speed 4.5 setting or so.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Speed 4 is a set speed, speed 5 is as fast as your machine can go.  There is too much of a gap there for most people.

Ideologue

Quote from: sbr on February 23, 2012, 05:24:11 PM
Speed 4 is a set speed, speed 5 is as fast as your machine can go.  There is too much of a gap there for most people.

Ah, that explains it.

I've got the Intel inside.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 05:32:23 PM

Ah, that explains it.

Whereas the core of my computer is from...2004/2005?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 05:33:19 PM

Ah, that explains it.

It's also a terrible design decision.  Speed 4 isn't quite molasses-slow, but it's pretty weak.  Whereas Speed 5 permits one's i7 to flash through a month in just a few seconds?  Nonsense.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 05:34:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 05:33:19 PM

Ah, that explains it.

It's also a terrible design decision.  Speed 4 isn't quite molasses-slow, but it's pretty weak.  Whereas Speed 5 permits one's i7 to flash through a month in just a few seconds?  Nonsense.

Agreed. Oh well, they couldn't get everything right.

JonasSalk

Married a princess of France who was the Duchess of Toulouse or something like that. I died, she died, the title went to my son. I am now playing the Queen of Portugal who owns all of Portugal plus the Duchy of Toulouse, which is headed by my half-brother (the only son my ruler had out of 9 children, and he was the last child, fathered at the age of 67), who is also my heir.

Viva Frortugal!
Yuman