Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2012, 11:29:08 AM
Won't let me see it.  What's the deal?

Weird anime inspired mod.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on February 21, 2012, 11:06:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 12:14:55 AM
Why should the game encourage you to keep such...anachronisms together?

Anachronisms?

QuoteImperator totius Hispaniae is a Latin title meaning "Emperor of all Spain". In Spain in the Middle Ages, the title "emperor" (from Latin imperator) was used under a variety of circumstances from the ninth century onwards, but its usage peaked, as a formal and practical title, between 1086 and 1157.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperator_totius_Hispaniae

Your evidence is a title that no one outside Spain recognized and was used by individuals to make their reigns seem more important even though they didn't really reign over all of Hispania?  I'm all for buying into hype and PR, but really?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 11:40:40 AM

Anachronisms?

QuoteImperator totius Hispaniae is a Latin title meaning "Emperor of all Spain". In Spain in the Middle Ages, the title "emperor" (from Latin imperator) was used under a variety of circumstances from the ninth century onwards, but its usage peaked, as a formal and practical title, between 1086 and 1157.

Your evidence is a title that no one outside Spain recognized and was used by individuals to make their reigns seem more important even though they didn't really reign over all of Hispania?  I'm all for buying into hype and PR, but really?
Yeah, but if you gain the crowns of Castile, Leon and Aragon then calling yourself that is no longer hype, it's fact.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2012, 11:58:11 AM

Anachronisms?

Yeah, but if you gain the crowns of Castile, Leon and Aragon then calling yourself that is no longer hype, it's fact.

Still would be missing Portugal and Andalusia. ;)

Anyway, like I said why should the game encourage such creations to be stable?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2012, 12:17:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2012, 11:29:08 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2012, 01:34:49 AM
Lol, looks like Lettow's taken up modding!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?588655-MOD-Kingdom-of-Gensokyo-Touhou

Won't let me see it.  What's the deal?

You don't want to know, trust me. I am telling you this as a friend.

It was pretty frightening and frankly just...odd.

Did make me laugh though in comparison to that endlessly long discussion about a galactic mod where there has been nothing created.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 12:05:29 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2012, 11:58:11 AM

Anachronisms?

Still would be missing Portugal and Andalusia. ;)

Anyway, like I said why should the game encourage such creations to be stable?
Okay, add Portugal.

Is the HRE particularly stable? I see it get embroiled in massive civil wars like everyone else and Spain was pretty stable once it formed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2012, 12:26:44 PM
Is the HRE particularly stable? I see it get embroiled in massive civil wars like everyone else and Spain was pretty stable once it formed.

In this game? Yes, I don't see the HRE collapsing very often. Even Byzantines manage to put it all back together.  On Spain - you're talking quite sometime outside the majority of this game's time period.  Society in 1100 was a bit different from 1492. :D

Valmy

It seems pretty pointless to create a Spanish Empire.  I mean once you unite Spain the whole point of calling yourself that, indicating you are bigger than the other Spanish Kings, would no longer exist.  Besides it is just absurd to have two Western Emperors, just like it is absurd to have a Russian Empire before Eastern Empire falls.

I am just going to stick to the historical Empires.  All four of them (I think there are only four: The Sunni Caliphate, the Shia Caliphate, the Eastern Empire, and the Western Empire) claimed universal authority which I think is what being an Emperor in this period was all about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Caliphates don't really make sense as an empire, not during our time period. They may have claimed universality but that was already broken.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 02:32:53 PM
Caliphates don't really make sense as an empire, not during our time period. They may have claimed universality but that was already broken.

It was just as broken as the claims of the Christian Emperors.

Tamas

While I have no intention of having a modded Spanish Empire, the difference between running a Spanish Empire, or 4 king titles on the peninsula, cannot be overstated.

If you have the 4 kingdoms, you probably have hell on earth as things stand now. You will have at least one duke per de jure kingdom title wanting it, and wanting it badly. That's like an added layer of adversial ambitions over the normally existing ones. I tried it with Hungary-Croatia-Denmark-Poland. Wasn't nice.

But if you have an Emperor title above them, you can distribute them, avoiding all that shit and still ruling all that land.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2012, 02:39:05 PM
But if you have an Emperor title above them, you can distribute them, avoiding all that shit and still ruling all that land.

Aka making it too easy to keep it all together.

That said I've yet to run into many problems with England/Wales/Leon/Portugal. Rarely do the rebellions fall in sync.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 02:46:19 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2012, 02:39:05 PM

Aka making it too easy to keep it all together.

yes