News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

By the way would it have killed them to link up the attractive and ugly traits with portraits there were...I don't know...attractive and ugly?

I've seen an absolute dog with the attractive trait and one of the most good looking women in the game with the ugly trait.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2012, 04:34:29 AM
By the way would it have killed them to link up the attractive and ugly traits with portraits there were...I don't know...attractive and ugly?

I've seen an absolute dog with the attractive trait and one of the most good looking women in the game with the ugly trait.

How do you propose they did it? The portraits are made from dozens of elements which are supposed to be inheritable. How do you propose teaching the system to make sure on top of that these pictures are pretty or ugly? Are you that dumb?

HisMajestyBOB

Maybe they're attractive/ugly from the neck down?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on February 21, 2012, 07:12:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2012, 04:34:29 AM

How do you propose they did it? The portraits are made from dozens of elements which are supposed to be inheritable. How do you propose teaching the system to make sure on top of that these pictures are pretty or ugly? Are you that dumb?

:huh: By coding it?

Or do you realise that & want a full explanation on how someone would code that?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Ok, you are an idiot too, gay fox.

I am not talking about how to code it, but that if you make a face from a number of random features, it is not possible to say which one will be "ugly" and which one will be "pretty" without going through millions of possible combinations, one by one, because you cannot code the system to recognize what's ugly and what's pretty. Especially as probably your "ugly" or "pretty" is going to be different from mine on top of that.

Grey Fox

Isn't there a little irony in you using gay as an insult?

It's a design approach. It doesn't have to be random, the images that form the protrait can be categorize in multiple ways. Sure, it's highly subjective what ugly/pretty is but it can easily be done.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Quote from: Martinus on February 21, 2012, 09:08:27 AM
Ok, you are an idiot too, gay fox.

I am not talking about how to code it, but that if you make a face from a number of random features, it is not possible to say which one will be "ugly" and which one will be "pretty" without going through millions of possible combinations, one by one, because you cannot code the system to recognize what's ugly and what's pretty.
Not true, it's a simple machine learning problem. Of course it's arguable whether it's worth it.

QuoteEspecially as probably your "ugly" or "pretty" is going to be different from mine on top of that.
This is a bigger issue.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on February 21, 2012, 09:11:44 AM
Of course it's arguable whether it's worth it.

Yeah and it is definitely not.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

You could always use a ugly overlay (kind of like the scars for maimed characters). Attractive would be harder. maybe a cocky smile with a sparkle, like they do in cartoons :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on February 21, 2012, 10:45:20 AM
You could always use a ugly overlay (kind of like the scars for maimed characters). Attractive would be harder. maybe a cocky smile with a sparkle, like they do in cartoons :lol:
Symmetrical smooth features, unblemished skin, huge tracks of land, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 12:14:55 AM
Why should the game encourage you to keep such...anachronisms together?

Anachronisms?

QuoteImperator totius Hispaniae is a Latin title meaning "Emperor of all Spain". In Spain in the Middle Ages, the title "emperor" (from Latin imperator) was used under a variety of circumstances from the ninth century onwards, but its usage peaked, as a formal and practical title, between 1086 and 1157.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperator_totius_Hispaniae

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2012, 11:05:45 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 21, 2012, 10:45:20 AM
Symmetrical smooth features, unblemished skin, huge tracks of land, etc.
That's harder with the system they have in place. i'm sticking to my shiney smile idea :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017