News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

What does it take to usurp the crown of England? I have 7 English Dukedoms and rule 75-80% of the country.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 03:53:54 AM
What does it take to usurp the crown of England? I have 7 English Dukedoms and rule 75-80% of the country.
I think lots of piety and you both need to be at peace.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 19, 2012, 04:01:00 AM
Haven't really been paying attention to piety. What's the best way to build that score up?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on February 19, 2012, 03:10:06 AM
Do you realize they still get claims, just not inherit?

R you positive on that?

Besides, it is a secondary question. Once bishops, they lose their -50 relationship hit for being claimants, that's for sure. Which makes all the difference you need.

Josquius

Uh, the empire is impossible. He keeps storming in demanding half of my provinces when I'm busy being a good christian and muslim bashing :(
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 02:01:30 AM
If you stay in the Empire you'll have a better chance of becoming Emperor one day. I'd stay in.

Depending upon the crown authority of the HREmperor, the game is boring as fuck.  Then again, if "interesting" is getting gangraped by Germans... seriously, unless you're joined by several other large components of the Empire, the HRE will keep sending death star armies at you and attrit you, and will never give in because (surprisingly for a Paradox AI) they know the gains you make are only temporary.

I wish I knew where they get their stacks of levies from.  I think 70% of Italy was only able to field 8,000 troops total with mercenaries of about 5000-6000, dependent on funding.

Also, I just quit because your vassals know you're fucked if you refuse their outrageous, retarded demands, like instituting elective monarchy. :bleeding:

It's just frustrating to have to fight TWO wars of independence against the Emperor, after winning one, just because you have one title that you hold in his name, and ten or twelve that you hold independently. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2012, 04:03:42 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 19, 2012, 04:01:00 AM
Haven't really been paying attention to piety. What's the best way to build that score up?

Not fuck courtiers.  I always have a load lying around.  I actually don't know why.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

I have been giving this some thought and kind of figuring that the HRE wasn't that much different IRL was it?

It kind of got hit severly with the whole investiture debate with the Pope, and the events regarding that topic should be more forceful against the Empire I think, but otherwise, what's happening is that you can't do in-fighting in the Empire unless the Emperor is weak. You can't become independent unless you amass the mightiest coalition known in history (and even then it's iffy) but that independence in the game means totally renouncing your HRE membership, and AFAIK that didn't happen except for some Italian territories. So we can't really except to see Bavaria and Saxony do it now, can we? Even Bohemia didn't do it IIRC.

Also what the HRE does is sending stacks of doom after any non-member trying to grab some loot from within it's borders. Now that is unhistorical in a strictly direct sense, but in practical effects it amounts to no real annexations of HRE territory by outside powers which again should be quite alright for the period, and it is achieved much better than in EU3.

And the HRE appears to have internal life. Don't forget, when you see it in shambles then suddenly reunited, it is not always a case of failed independence attemps, more likely it is a succession crisis or a plot firing off, this is something you can easily check by the way.

So I am not saying I will not end up modding the laws concerning the HRE for sure, but I am content for now.

Fireblade

You know, a lot of people going ZOMG HRE IS OP probably think of it as always being like it was when Napoleon ended it, "neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire". I'm not an expert on German history (because it's boring as fuck), but it didn't really become a practically worthless title until either the 15th or 16th centuries.

I suppose it's possible that the HRE could have ended up like France as a strong, centralized absolutist monarchy, if things had turned out differently.

Fireblade

Quote from: Tamas on February 19, 2012, 02:29:06 AM
Very interesting option, church career for your brethren is.

It is keeping my growing Catalan Aragon managable, but always on the brink of the abyss. I curbed the initial side branches of the dynasty by populating the freshly liberated bishopries with my brothers and cousins. And then instituted male-only inheritance to make it all more streamlined. That was working very well until my king died in his early 41s leaving only one 14 years old heir after him, who had to stare at the possibility of being the last of his dynasty. Needless to say I hunted down a know lustful chick for wife, and now have a baby son, but it is still iffy.

But all things considered, I now value free investiture much more. Too much males around the direct succession line? Bishop-nominating time!

I had to go to Church investiture for awhile because my faggot ass brother, the King of Galicia, got all pissy because I kept offing his heirs. <_<

My first King of Leon had like 3 legit and 2 bastard sons, and now King Esteban is turning out to be as horny as daddy and knocking up Duchess Agnes d'Aquitaine every other year. Shit, I already had to toss my second oldest brother into gaol and keep him in the obliette, he should know what happens when you don't pull out (constant civil war).

Being Imperator totius Hispanie AND Duke of Aquitaine? Keeping THAT little empire together is going to be fun.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Fireblade on February 19, 2012, 08:55:20 AM
You know, a lot of people going ZOMG HRE IS OP probably think of it as always being like it was when Napoleon ended it, "neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire". I'm not an expert on German history (because it's boring as fuck), but it didn't really become a practically worthless title until either the 15th or 16th centuries.

I suppose it's possible that the HRE could have ended up like France as a strong, centralized absolutist monarchy, if things had turned out differently.

iirc, the HRE was a power until it lost the Investiture-issue with the pope, which is around the same period that a Sicilian Norman was emperor.

Liep

I just tortured my imprisoned daughter to death. I don't know why.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Drakken

Quote from: Liep on February 19, 2012, 10:07:01 AM
I just tortured my imprisoned daughter to death. I don't know why.

Do you have the Cruel trait?