News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Prestige hits aren't really that big of a deal. Got that hit as Matilda for marrying my husband of a minor dynasty. In short order, I'd recovered from the hit and then some.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2012, 09:20:03 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2012, 09:16:16 PM
Is there a bride finder?
With marrying for love/stats being out in the game (a good move really) finding exactly the right noble lady seems it could be a difficult and annoying task....

:huh:

Yes. When was there ever marrying for love? You still can marry for stats (i.e. diplomacy!) but rank also matters as well (so as to avoid prestige hits, etc.).
In DV I fell in love with my neighbors 16 year old daughter and had a torrid affair with her. Her, stats were decent though nothing special. Still, after my wife comitted suicide a year later I married her.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

One of my dukes was imprisoned, but it doesn't seem like i can arrange his release.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on February 06, 2012, 12:11:15 AM
One of my dukes was imprisoned, but it doesn't seem like i can arrange his release.
Ransom?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

Didnt see a diplo option for that.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

Is there a bride finder?
With marrying for love/stats being out in the game (a good move really) finding exactly the right noble lady seems it could be a difficult and annoying task....

Yes. When was there ever marrying for love?

Ferdinand and Isabella, interestingly enough.  They actually eloped;  her father had arranged a marriage for her to the son of the King of Portugal.

Martinus

Is there a bride finder?

Uhm, there is a character finder:

http://www.gamespot.com/crusader-kings-ii/images/1594979/?full_size=1

Apparently, you can search for "adult", "unmarried", "female" and with a number of other options (religion, great house, your vassal or not etc.).  :huh:

Richard Hakluyt

Is there a bride finder?

Yes. When was there ever marrying for love? You still can marry for stats (i.e. diplomacy!) but rank also matters as well (so as to avoid prestige hits, etc.).

Henry VIII of England used to marry for love on a regular basis. Though he is not a great advert for the procedure  :hmm:

Drakken

Quote from: Martinus on February 06, 2012, 04:48:52 AM
Is there a bride finder?

Uhm, there is a character finder:

http://www.gamespot.com/crusader-kings-ii/images/1594979/?full_size=1

Apparently, you can search for "adult", "unmarried", "female" and with a number of other options (religion, great house, your vassal or not etc.).  :huh:

The round little blue button with two rings smack in the middle of the groom or bride-to-be's character screen is a little more useful for that.  :P

ulmont

A pretty severe problem with the way plots work out, AKA "why is every baby immediately offed by a random woman in the court?"

Quote from: Strudel Man [at SA]
Here's the problem I've noticed, related to the shortage of plots and ambitions.

The full list of ambitions/plots is as follows:

Gain a liege's title (base factor 50)
Change succession laws (base factor 100), 4 varieties
Lower crown authority (base factor 1)
Kill somebody (base factor 1)
Kill your spouse (base factor 10)
Become a councilor (base factor 100), 5 varieties
Amass wealth (base factor 100)
Become a paragon of virtue (base factor 50)
Become exalted (base factor 50)
Get married (base factor 100)
Marry a ruler (base factor 100)
Have a daughter (base factor 50)
Have a son (base factor 50)
Get a landed title (base factor 100)
Become the primary heir (base factor 50)

Which doesn't seem so bad, at first.  Particularly, the assassination missions are relatively few, with a small base factor.  But let's take a closer look.  First, strip out the goals only available to leaders, since most of your court isn't a ruler.

Gain a liege's title (base factor 50)
Change succession laws (base factor 100), 4 varieties
Lower crown authority (base factor 1)

Amass wealth (base factor 100)
Become a paragon of virtue (base factor 50)
Become exalted (base factor 50)

Still a fair selection.  But unless you deliberately deprive them, your dynasty is likely to get married and have children fairly swiftly, cutting out these missions.

List is looking a bit shorter now.  And several of these missions are unavailable to women...

'Become the primary heir' is an ambition that can only occur for people with claims if the current heir is significantly impaired in some way, or if the primary heir is female and the character in question is not.  Since we're looking at women anyway...

Whoops.  Turns out, married women in your court have, for the most part, literally nothing to do but plot assassinations.  'Kill your spouse' at least requires the character to significantly dislike their spouse, but the general assassination mission frequently (depending on traits and specific cause) only requires an opinion below zero.  And guess what the relationship of a newborn baby (with no traits and a low diplomacy) is to a random woman in the court?

Ed Anger

Gave the demo a whirl. Played the chick in Italy. Had no idea who the fuck my vassals were. Until they started plotting and threw them in a hole and took their titles. Ran well on my 6core/6GB machine.

Accumulated a shitload of gold at the end.

I liked it, I may get it after the first price drop.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 06, 2012, 03:00:40 AM
Is there a bride finder?

Yes. When was there ever marrying for love?

Ferdinand and Isabella, interestingly enough.  They actually eloped;  her father had arranged a marriage for her to the son of the King of Portugal.

WTF? I wasn't asking a history question. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on February 06, 2012, 07:43:16 AM
The round little blue button with two rings smack in the middle of the groom or bride-to-be's character screen is a little more useful for that.  :P

:yes:

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on February 06, 2012, 09:35:26 AM
A pretty severe problem with the way plots work out, AKA "why is every baby immediately offed by a random woman in the court?"

Haha. Sounds like married women - always trying to kill other people's babies!

HisMajestyBOB

I had fun with the demo, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to play much more than ~200 years before slowdown becomes a problem.

The game is definitely very promising.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help