News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Take-Out and tipping

Started by vinraith, April 12, 2009, 03:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: vinraith on April 13, 2009, 08:24:05 PM
He's talking about the tendency of some wait staff to... extract biological retribution against people that don't tip to their satisfaction.
I thought that would be too obvious to spell out, but thanks for helping when it turned out otherwise.

Yes, I was of course talking about a not-so-legal but hard-to-detect retribution against those considered to be bad tippers.  It could be anything from just giving intentionally terrible service, to something clearly illegal.  Incidentally, those are exactly the same consequences that await those who don't bribe when bribes are expected (something I'm very familiar with from my former country).

Siege

I tip because my wife makes me to.
If it were for me, I wouldn't tip nobody.
If a waiter wants to make money, should get a real job.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Fireblade

Quote from: Siege on April 13, 2009, 10:35:53 PM

that's because you're a cheap ass kike.

Siege

Quote from: Fireblade on April 13, 2009, 10:38:34 PM

that's because you're a cheap ass kike.

Nope, I don't mind paying for services rendered.
Paying tips looks to me like extortion.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

Quote from: Siege on April 13, 2009, 10:45:05 PMNope, I don't mind paying for services rendered.
Paying tips looks to me like extortion.

uhhhh but the waiter DID render a service.  Do you think your food teleports to your table, or the cooks telepathically know what you want?

Maybe this is how things work in Israel, I dunno.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Brazen

I usually tell delivery guys to keep the change - £20 on an £18 delivery, for example, or bung 'em a couple of quid if it's nearer a round sum. I don't stress about it if I don't have the change or can't afford any extra.

katmai

Quote from: Brazen on April 14, 2009, 05:22:02 AM
I usually tell delivery guys to keep the change - £20 on an £18 delivery, for example, or bung 'em a couple of quid if it's nearer a round sum. I don't stress about it if I don't have the change or can't afford any extra.

:thumbsup:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

I dunno, tipping always seemed to me to be something in the nature of a social convention rather than extortion - unless something is badly out of wack, you tip for service at a restaurant. It isn't written on the bill but it might as well be. I never for a second even considered that the waiter would spit in my food if I don't tip - unless it is a place I go every day, they'd have to have the memory of a vengeful elephant to remember my lack of tip, for one thing, since they would only find out I didn't tip after the meal was over (and for another, I'd only not tip if the service was shit, and if so I'd probably not be back).

What I find slightly questionable is the slow upward creep over time of what is expected for average service.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: vonmoltke on April 13, 2009, 09:14:59 PM
No, I don't see the point of expecting a certain percentage almost regardless of service.

The percentage I give varies by service.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2009, 08:08:23 AM
I dunno, tipping always seemed to me to be something in the nature of a social convention rather than extortion - unless something is badly out of wack, you tip for service at a restaurant. It isn't written on the bill but it might as well be. I never for a second even considered that the waiter would spit in my food if I don't tip - unless it is a place I go every day, they'd have to have the memory of a vengeful elephant to remember my lack of tip, for one thing, since they would only find out I didn't tip after the meal was over (and for another, I'd only not tip if the service was shit, and if so I'd probably not be back).
Agree with all of this. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

:lol: :lol:  Way to represent, Siegy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall