News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Take-Out and tipping

Started by vinraith, April 12, 2009, 03:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2009, 01:20:04 AM
It's not the amounts involved that cause resentment, it's the fact that it's bribery.  The implied threat behind the tipping is the issue.  No one likes being threatened, even if the threats can be dealt with easily.

You've got to be joking.
and the horse you rode in on

alfred russel

Quote from: vonmoltke on April 13, 2009, 07:24:51 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 12, 2009, 09:59:02 PM
I hardly think that wait staff are overpaid right now. And if we are either going to pay either in the form of a tip or through increased meal cost, we are better off paying through tips to keep our servers on their toes.

Since their employer is forced to make up the difference between their wage plus tips and the federal minimum wage, I don't see the point.

Of tipping? I expect that most waiters do much better than minimum wage, which is probably why you have a better grade of employee at decent restaurants than at McDonald's.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

It's not the amounts involved that cause resentment, it's the fact that it's bribery.  The implied threat behind the tipping is the issue.  No one likes being threatened, even if the threats can be dealt with easily.

I guess it is a bribe, in the same way I have to bribe Target to give me a pair of socks. Target has a sign in the front that if I don't pay I will be prosecuted, whereas if I don't tip, a restaurant may turn away my business next time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

vinraith

Quote from: alfred russel on April 13, 2009, 06:36:34 PM

I guess it is a bribe, in the same way I have to bribe Target to give me a pair of socks. Target has a sign in the front that if I don't pay I will be prosecuted, whereas if I don't tip, a restaurant may turn away my business next time.

He's talking about the tendency of some wait staff to... extract biological retribution against people that don't tip to their satisfaction.

FunkMonk

In which case, if I find out I've been the victim of Tipping Rage, I extract bloody vengeance by getting their ass fired.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: vonmoltke on April 13, 2009, 07:24:51 AMSince their employer is forced to make up the difference between their wage plus tips and the federal minimum wage, I don't see the point.

Nobody's forced to come up with the difference between federal minimum wage and the cost of living for a given area, that's the point.
Experience bij!

vinraith

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 13, 2009, 08:30:28 PM
In which case, if I find out I've been the victim of Tipping Rage, I extract bloody vengeance by getting their ass fired.

Of course, but then again if it were easy to detect these people would have been weeded out of the business a long time ago.

alfred russel

Quote from: vinraith on April 13, 2009, 08:24:05 PM

He's talking about the tendency of some wait staff to... extract biological retribution against people that don't tip to their satisfaction.

I'm sure there are people that spit in food because they don't like their tip, or because they don't like overweight people, minorities, blondes, or just being at work that day. Considering that the tip is usually given after the opportunity to spit has passed, I'd be much more concerned about a spitting incident for ordering something complicated that isn't on the menu.

vinraith

Quote from: alfred russel on April 13, 2009, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 13, 2009, 08:24:05 PM

I'm sure there are people that spit in food because they don't like their tip, or because they don't like overweight people, minorities, blondes, or just being at work that day. Considering that the tip is usually given after the opportunity to spit has passed, I'd be much more concerned about a spitting incident for ordering something complicated that isn't on the menu.

Obviously this is principally an issue at places you frequent, not restaurants you encounter while traveling.

alfred russel

Quote from: vinraith on April 13, 2009, 08:35:10 PM

Of course, but then again if it were easy to detect these people would have been weeded out of the business a long time ago.

Maybe they are. Excluding stories on television, neither a current nor former waiter/waitress has ever told me that he/she spit in someone's food.

vinraith

Quote from: alfred russel on April 13, 2009, 08:40:38 PM

Maybe they are. Excluding stories on television, neither a current nor former waiter/waitress has ever told me that he/she spit in someone's food.

I don't claim to know one way or another about the issue, I'm just clarifying that it's what DG is talking about when he refers to "bribery."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: alfred russel on April 13, 2009, 06:30:49 PM
Of tipping? I expect that most waiters do much better than minimum wage, which is probably why you have a better grade of employee at decent restaurants than at McDonald's.

No, I don't see the point of expecting a certain percentage almost regardless of service.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 13, 2009, 08:31:10 PM
Quote from: vonmoltke on April 13, 2009, 07:24:51 AMSince their employer is forced to make up the difference between their wage plus tips and the federal minimum wage, I don't see the point.

Nobody's forced to come up with the difference between federal minimum wage and the cost of living for a given area, that's the point.

That's true of any job.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on April 13, 2009, 08:40:38 PM

I worked in a McDonalds for 5-6 months when I was a 17 and I never saw anything like that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fireblade

Quote from: Caliga on April 12, 2009, 04:17:08 PM
This is why I don't patronize Sonic.

Lol, I've never tipped the Sonic carhops.

Unless I was drunk and the girl is hot.  ;)