Fuck you, Dora the Explorer. Ed's Playa Hater thread

Started by Ed Anger, March 12, 2011, 04:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 14, 2011, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2011, 04:38:55 PM
I think the idea is that the kids already know Italian.

So the show is being used to teach them English...

Here, the show is mostly *in* English, but introduces words and phrases in Spanish. The idea it seems is to introduce English-speaking kids to Spanish.

I presume that the beef with the Italian version is that it is assuming that the kids speak English and 'trying' to teach them words & phrases in Italian.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

That and a giant pedophile arrow likes to follow little girls and their pet monkeys around.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2011, 05:08:37 PM
Here, the show is mostly *in* English, but introduces words and phrases in Spanish. The idea it seems is to introduce English-speaking kids to Spanish.

I presume that the beef with the Italian version is that it is assuming that the kids speak English and 'trying' to teach them words & phrases in Italian.

That sounds like a rather odd choice for Italian television programming.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2011, 05:08:37 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 14, 2011, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2011, 04:38:55 PM
I think the idea is that the kids already know Italian.

So the show is being used to teach them English...

That's just stupid, why wouldn't they dub it so that it does the opposite?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 14, 2011, 03:49:15 PM
I'm not the strict one.  :)

Hopefully you're strict with the boy, at least.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I ran into my first geek car window stickers. Fucking nerds.

Since I forgot to take the damn picture, an internet example:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive