News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I miss Close Combat

Started by vinraith, April 12, 2009, 03:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2009, 05:19:24 PM
Loved the market garden one. Machinegunning Polack paratroopers was a blast.

Kraut faggot.  I should machinegun your white-on-black counters.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2009, 05:29:23 PM

Kraut faggot.  I should machinegun your white-on-black counters.

They have higher combat factors. A back 2.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Mortar squads were my favorite. Laying massive amounts of smoke and then ordering Lt Jackson's platoon to charge ahead into MG42s was sublime.  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ape

Hah, I reinstalled CC V the other day, was a blast, after my Osttroops ran out of ammunition I oredered them to bayonet charge those pesky yankee paratroopers, felt like a real nazi then using those untermensch Georgians as expendable cannonfodder.  :menace:

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2009, 04:18:41 PM
Vinny,

You may be interested in the upcoming release, Officers.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/367/details/Officers

It's been out in Russia for a year or two, and over here for a couple months. Seems to get decent reviews (it's basically a Sudden Strike game with logistics added), but single player seems limited to a U.S. campaign.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: vinraith on April 12, 2009, 03:54:28 PM
Anyone play these back in the day? I still own all 5 games. They had something I've been totally unable to find in a modern WW2 RTS: strategic context. The sense that your actions on the battlefield mattered in the larger campaign. None of this "story of soldiers" bullshit, I play strategy games for the strategy, not the fucking narrative.

100% ditto (though I actually started with CC2).  God knows how many hours I logged with CC3 with the RealRed patch. 

CC3, 4, & 5 were the only games outside of EU2 & 3 that I made it a point to buy the first day they were released.

I'm planning on installing CC3 on my little netbook for some old school mobile gaming.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Yeah, in CC2 if you had an MG42 set up in just the right spot you could pretty much massacre anything that came in front of you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall