News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Yet another New PC thread

Started by Seen, April 06, 2009, 07:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Seen on April 06, 2009, 07:53:04 PM
Almost a year I was leaning for the i7 but with stats showing it only gets massive boosts for video editing. Something i dont do at all so I went 180 and go for 'bang for the buck' Phenom.

Where did you hear this?  The Nehalem microarchitecture is significantly better than its predecessor in multiple areas, the biggest one being memory bandwidth.

Berkut

Anandtech has a new Systems Buyer Guide up for midrange systems.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

I bought a rahter nice 22" LCD monitor a couple years ago, which I expected to last me a rather long time.

But the new 1900x1200 resolution monitors look really nice. The Anandtech article recommends a 26" model for about $300.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I have a 24" version of that resolution, and it's very fine for me. Larger than that and I have problems putting my speakers on my desk.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Seen

Quote from: vonmoltke on April 09, 2009, 06:53:02 PM
Quote from: Seen on April 06, 2009, 07:53:04 PM
Almost a year I was leaning for the i7 but with stats showing it only gets massive boosts for video editing. Something i dont do at all so I went 180 and go for 'bang for the buck' Phenom.

Where did you hear this?  The Nehalem microarchitecture is significantly better than its predecessor in multiple areas, the biggest one being memory bandwidth.
A dutch nerd forum but do remember a test where i saw the difference myself which made the 200 euro difference between the two systems not worth the performance difference. There was no doubt the i7 was better compared to the phenom just not at  % performance increase compared to price in games (or anything besides video). Ill ask the mod there to give me links to tests he based it on. Forgot mine  :blush: