News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Yet another New PC thread

Started by Seen, April 06, 2009, 07:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seen

Crisis scripish. With my poor P4 hardly hanging on with scuba gear keeping it going the hint was clear, time for a radical update.

After not less than a year of postponing and seriously contemplating upgrading day by day since November (i7) im on my D-day. Almost a year I was leaning for the i7 but with stats showing it only gets massive boosts for video editing. Something i dont do at all so I went 180 and go for 'bang for the buck' Phenom. Before I make the final call Im calling for your expertise :D

Quote#     Product                                                        Price                   
   AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition    € 194,90       
   Cooler Master Centurion 590 Zwart    € 59,-       
   Cooler Master Silent Pro M600    € 84,90       
   Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4    € 96,43
   Kingston HyperX KHX8500D2K2/4G    € 46,95       
   Samsung SH-S223F    € 16,74       
   Samsung Spinpoint F1 DT HD103UJ, 1TB    € 74,75       
   Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW    € 239,-    
   Sapphire HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E    € 212,95    
   Scythe Mugen 2 - SCMG-2000    € 32,25    
   Total    € 1.057,87

Prices are for this date but of course ask and demand. Im still not sure about the power supply and harddrive. But critique on other segments are welcome as well. Im contemplating upgrading to ddr3 and amd3 next year for cheap so I want to have enough power to get crossfire/sli than.

What are the experts thoughts? :)

Berkut

Anandtech did a test of the Phenom II X3, and found that it performed pretty much identically with the X4 in gaming applications.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Do I really have to say it?

Apart an extremely important part, it looks fine.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Seen

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2009, 08:01:27 PM

Say it!

Or do you mean the above mentioned performance issue?

Berkut, do i need to google or are you going to give a link? ;)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Seen on April 06, 2009, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2009, 08:01:27 PM

Say it!

For the love of hod, don't give in and buy an ATI card.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2009, 08:13:43 PM

For the love of hod, don't give in and buy an ATI card.

I had two (old) ATI cards and a couple nVidia ones. I have to say I had plenty trouble with ATI, but everything was fine when I had nVidia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

I've used both NVidai and ATI at various times. Some of them had problems, some did not. I hav never seen any indication that one was more likely than the other, and every reputable review site says the same thing.

Buy whichever one offers the best deal at the price point you want to spend.

0 rows returned

Barrister

I've had issues with a couple of different ATI cards, but no issues with the couple of NVidia cards I've used.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2009, 11:49:39 AM
I've had issues with a couple of different ATI cards, but no issues with the couple of NVidia cards I've used.

You use a Mac though, so your opinion is largely worthless.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 07, 2009, 11:54:05 AM

:unsure:

All but one of those cards were in PCs.  And the 8800GT in my Mac is made by NVidia just like any other NVidia card.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2009, 01:18:04 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 07, 2009, 11:54:05 AM

:unsure:

All but one of those cards were in PCs.  And the 8800GT in my Mac is made by NVidia just like any other NVidia card.

Yeah, but you use a Mac, so your opinion is largely worthless.

0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

The only card I've ever had that showed up to my house DOA was an NVidia card made by BFG, but the others I've had have worked fine IIRC, as have all the ATIs.  One thing about that NVidia card was their customer support absolutely blew.  I've never talked to any of the various ATI customer support types, so I can't comment on them, but fuck BFG.

QuoteBuy whichever one offers the best deal at the price point you want to spend.

Do this.  That 4890 is getting good reviews, so I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get one if it fits your needs, and it's the one you want.

Seen

I never had problems with Ati. Where does the big hate come from? Its competitor GeForce GTX 275  will only be out in EU from 14th april onwards and not widespread available even than. Besides I waited long enough so time to decide before that time. The GTX 260 looks interesting (I would get 2 of those than) but I have no clue which motherboard capable AMD will work nicely with full SLI for around a 100e.