News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I miss Close Combat

Started by vinraith, April 12, 2009, 03:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinraith

Anyone play these back in the day? I still own all 5 games. They had something I've been totally unable to find in a modern WW2 RTS: strategic context. The sense that your actions on the battlefield mattered in the larger campaign. None of this "story of soldiers" bullshit, I play strategy games for the strategy, not the fucking narrative.

Is there anything out there that's still like the old CC games? Something where if I lose a map I don't just have to replay it, I get pushed back?

CountDeMoney

Yeah, those were great games.

You know, Matrix rereleased them for better Windows compatibility if you're still interested.

Admiral Yi

I played the hell out of them.  No, haven't found a game like you've described.

CountDeMoney

vinraith

Interesting, thanks Seedy. Are those Matrix remakes any good? They're... rather pricey, but might be worth it if they were solid enough.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: vinraith on April 12, 2009, 04:27:48 PM
Interesting, thanks Seedy. Are those Matrix remakes any good? They're... rather pricey, but might be worth it if they were solid enough.

There's two schools of thought on that;  some reviewers like the fact that they're rereleases with just a couple more bells and whistles, and other reviewers are ZOMG WHY DONT I JUST PLAY THE OLD ONES THIS IS A RIPOFF

So, it sorta depends on your personality.  Actually, I was thinking about getting the modern one, just for fun.  I dunno, though.

vinraith

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2009, 04:32:53 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 12, 2009, 04:27:48 PM

There's two schools of thought on that;  some reviewers like the fact that they're rereleases with just a couple more bells and whistles, and other reviewers are ZOMG WHY DONT I JUST PLAY THE OLD ONES THIS IS A RIPOFF

So, it sorta depends on your personality.  Actually, I was thinking about getting the modern one, just for fun.  I dunno, though.

The modern one is apparently only isolated maps, no campaigns or operations. :(

I don't mind a proper remake of a great game as long as it's solidly constructed. I wouldn't want them to change much, and I can't get the old ones to run for shit, so maybe those would be worth my while.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: vinraith on April 12, 2009, 04:35:14 PMI don't mind a proper remake of a great game as long as it's solidly constructed. I wouldn't want them to change much, and I can't get the old ones to run for shit, so maybe those would be worth my while.

Sounds right up your alley, then.  I enjoyed the campaign ops aspect of them, particularly the Battle of the Bulge one.  Looks like they're really revamped the Eastern Front one, though, and incorporated a lot of successful mods from the community.
I don't know if any other Languishers have them, though.

Still, the best game ever with flamethrowers.  Nothing like lying in wait with a fire team, and hearing the targets scream.

FunkMonk

Played the original Close Combat many many moons ago. That and the Market Garden sequel are my favorite WWII games ever. CC3 with the Russian Front was great, but it didn't light my imagination the way the first two did.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

vinraith

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2009, 04:41:08 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 12, 2009, 04:35:14 PMI don't mind a proper remake of a great game as long as it's solidly constructed. I wouldn't want them to change much, and I can't get the old ones to run for shit, so maybe those would be worth my while.

Sounds right up your alley, then.  I enjoyed the campaign ops aspect of them, particularly the Battle of the Bulge one.  Looks like they're really revamped the Eastern Front one, though, and incorporated a lot of successful mods from the community.
I don't know if any other Languishers have them, though.

Still, the best game ever with flamethrowers.  Nothing like lying in wait with a fire team, and hearing the targets scream.

I spent an inordinate amount of time playing full Battle of the Bulge campaigns against my apartment-mate back in the early 2000's. Those were the good old days.

I got the eastern front one (3) last, and disliked how disjointed it was. I wonder what they've done with it and if it's any more cohesive.

vinraith

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 12, 2009, 04:41:37 PM
Played the original Close Combat many many moons ago. That and the Market Garden sequel are my favorite WWII games ever. CC3 with the Russian Front was great, but it didn't light my imagination the way the first two did.

Yeah, the Market Garden one was probably my all time favorite, though I liked the big campaign maps in 4 and 5 that let you attack where and when you wanted.

CountDeMoney

Now see, you've gotten me in the mood for this, dammit.

FunkMonk

Quote from: vinraith on April 12, 2009, 04:45:46 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 12, 2009, 04:41:37 PM

Yeah, the Market Garden one was probably my all time favorite, though I liked the big campaign maps in 4 and 5 that let you attack where and when you wanted.
The campaigns were great, but I think I prefer to be told what my objective is and then I go get it. I suppose I'd be better commanding a company than a division.  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: vinraith on April 12, 2009, 04:45:04 PM
I got the eastern front one (3) last, and disliked how disjointed it was. I wonder what they've done with it and if it's any more cohesive.
III had a pretty random story line but it also had the coolness of equipment upgrades a la Panzer General.  Plus the nicest graphics of the series.

Ed Anger

Loved the market garden one. Machinegunning Polack paratroopers was a blast.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive