20 Year Old becomes Sheriff of lawless Mexican town

Started by Darth Wagtaros, March 15, 2011, 06:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39760545/ns/world_news-americas/

QuoteA 20-year-old criminology student has been named the chief of police in  one of the most dangerous municipalities in Mexico's violence-wracked  northern state of Chihuahua.

Marisol Valles Garcia, the only person to accept the post, took charge  of public security for Guadalupe Distrito Bravo on Monday, according to  radio station network Notisistema. The district has a population of  9,148 residents, according to newspaper La Jornada, and comes with at  least one police car and two pairs of policemen, Notisistema reported.

The state of Chihuahua has borne the brunt of spiraling drug-related  violence that has left around 28,000 dead throughout Mexico in the last  four years. Guadalupe's former mayor was assassinated in June, and local  police have been kidnapped and murdered. At least eight people were  slain in the last week alone in Guadalupe, news.com.au reported.

She has not discarded the possibility of creating a cycling police force, according to Notisistema.                 

Poor kid will be toast within a month.  :mad:
PDH!

Caliga

That article is a little behind the curve.  IIRC she's already quit and since fled norte. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Yeah, she's missing, and last heard hiding in the US trying for political asylum.  Looks like college students ain't so dumb after all.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

This woman fled to the US, seeking asylum. Unsettling that this is going on in Mexican towns. There are more reports in the news of lawless towns, taken over by drug cartels. Scary stuff, and brutal for the Mexican people caught up in it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20039436-504083.html

March 4, 2011 4:01 PM
Marisol Valles Garcia flees Mexican town after becoming police chief, says report

(CBS) Marisol Valles Garcia, who was called Mexico's bravest woman after becoming police chief of the small Mexican town of Praxedis, has reportedly fled and is seeking asylum in the United States.

A relative told Agence France-Presse on Thursday that Valles Garcia, 21-year-old mother and student, "received death threats from a criminal group that wanted to force her to work for them," and that she "went to the United States along with two relatives and will seek asylum."

However, an official from the town of Praxedis, which is across the border from Fort Hancock in Texas, denied that their police chief was leaving.

Town secretary Andres Morales told the El Paso Times that Valles Garcia had asked for some personal days off to tend to her child, but is expected to be back at work on Monday.

As for the reports of her seeking asylum, "Right now, these are rumors," he said.

After the police chief of Praxedis was kidnapped in 2009, and his head deposited outside the police station a few days later, no one stepped up to fill his shoes until Valles Garcia agreed to fill the vacancy.

"I took the risk because I want my son to live in a different community to the one we have today. I want people to be able to go out without fear, as it was before," Valles Garcia said during her swearing-in ceremony last October.

Valles Garcia's departure comes just a few months after Erika Gandara, the only law officer in the border town of Guadalupe, was kidnapped, her whereabouts still unknown.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 15, 2011, 09:00:17 AM
That article is from October 20th Wags.
And she is toast.  My prediction came true. 

What can I say, I am not Timmay with the news spammin'.
PDH!

derspiess

Quote"I took the risk because I want my son to live in a different community to the one we have today..."

Pretty clever way to accomplish that.  Put yourself in an extremely dangerous situation, flee to the US requesting asylum, stay in the US indefinitely.  There you go: different community.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2011, 12:22:09 PM
What, no Jaron joke yet? :(

Speaking of which, I took this pic the other day in the Target parking lot down in Florence (KY for those unfamiliar):

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 15, 2011, 11:51:13 AM
And she is toast.  My prediction came true. 

What can I say, I am not Timmay with the news spammin'.

I'm just amazed it took 4 hours for the Timmy crack.  I was expecting it as soon as I saw the past-sellby thing going on this morning. ;)
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

So Wags has taken to resurrecting old news stories I guess.   :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?