News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

School bully gets what he deserves

Started by Valdemar, March 15, 2011, 06:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on March 16, 2011, 10:57:19 AM
Bullying is inevitable. No matter what kind of draconian "zero tolerance" policies are enacted, bullying will always exist (not only in schools but also perhaps more importantly in workplaces) as long as we don't invent some sort of behavioural modification chip.

People must work in a very different kind of environment than those I've been exposed to - I don't think I've ever been exposed to anything that would constitute bullying at any job I've worked at. In fact, I am pretty sure anyone threatening anyone else with violence would be very quickly fired.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2011, 12:58:22 PM
Bullying is inevitable. No matter what kind of draconian "zero tolerance" policies are enacted, bullying will always exist (not only in schools but also perhaps more importantly in workplaces) as long as we don't invent some sort of behavioural modification chip.

People must work in a very different kind of environment than those I've been exposed to - I don't think I've ever been exposed to anything that would constitute bullying at any job I've worked at. In fact, I am pretty sure anyone threatening anyone else with violence would be very quickly fired.
One of the very few people at my work who I know of being fired was fired for a confrontation that happened away from work, during happy hour.  Once the rumors got to the manager, the instigator was gone.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2011, 08:59:36 AM
and pretty quickly developed a strategy for dealing with it - basically over-react to the first person screwing with me
:yeahright:

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2011, 01:02:34 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2011, 08:59:36 AM
and pretty quickly developed a strategy for dealing with it - basically over-react to the first person screwing with me
:yeahright:

I am not claiming it was the *right* way to deal with it, just that it worked. Until it got my ass kicked - but that kind of worked too.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Slargos

We're obviously working from different definitions. Isn't there an american catch all phrase for both verbal and physical harassment?

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on March 16, 2011, 01:20:58 PM

We're obviously working from different definitions. Isn't there an american catch all phrase for both verbal and physical harassment?

I don't think I've ever worked anywhere where verbal harassment to the extent that it could be called "bullying" is tolerated either. But maybe we do mean different things...

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2011, 01:25:53 PM
Quote from: Slargos on March 16, 2011, 01:20:58 PM

I don't think I've ever worked anywhere where verbal harassment to the extent that it could be called "bullying" is tolerated either. But maybe we do mean different things...

It's a common problem in health care in both Sweden and Norway. Primarily in female-dominated workplaces I think.

Berkut

Actually, I would say I see verbal bullying while officiating...I am often surprised how much some people are willing to put up with...

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2011, 01:30:16 PM
Actually, I would say I see verbal bullying while officiating...I am often surprised how much some people are willing to put up with...

Well, duh... if you wear a striped shirt you get to bully all you want.

:P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Yeah, the Scandinavian understanding of bullying is a bit different than what I think Americans, Canadians and Brits mean when they talk of bullying.

When the Anglosphere speak of bullying, there seems to be more emphasis on violence part of the interaction. The "classic scenario" as it were seems to centre around one or two mean people with a coterie sycophants picking on a victim, escalating to violence to back up their dominance.

In Scandinavia (and I think in Japan too) the fundamental dynamic is understood to be less about the violence per se (not to say that there's no violence or even less violence) and more about being excluded from the social group. The classic bullying scenario is the one where "everyone in the class" continually derides the victim and almost compete amongst themselves in coming up with creative ways to humiliate them; it can involve violence but doesn't have to. The main thing is to never let the victim forget that "you're not one of us."

It might have something to do with the relatively more homogenous society and slightly more collectivist inclinations in Scandinavia, that social exclusion is more at the fore.

My point is that the kind of thing a Scandinavian tends to think of first when speaking of bullying - the repeated subtle and not so subtle ways that members of the group cut out and pick on one mutally agreed victim - carries over more easily to the adult workplace than the Anglo conception of bullying which I think is more along the lines of "I'm going to socially and physically demean you and you're going to take it because if you don't I'll beat you up out by the bike racks."

In Scandinavia, at least in my experience, the "beat you up bully" is more likely to find himself the target of bullying as the peer group as a whole decides they're unacceptable. This doesn't mean less bullying, however, nor solves the problem of the socially weak kid being bullied.

Legbiter

In school fights pinning someone down or giving them bloody noses would usually suffice. Except that one time when I beat semi-unconscious Mr. Big with his own drink bottle.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Camerus

I dunno.  Here in Canada I've definitely encountered a lot of material on "workplace bullying", and it mostly all dealt with the verbal kind.  That the physical kind was unacceptable was pretty much a given.

Warspite

@Jacob: from my experience in American and British schools, verbal bullying was very much considered equivalent to violent bullying.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2011, 01:45:58 PM

In Scandinavia (and I think in Japan too) the fundamental dynamic is understood to be less about the violence per se (not to say that there's no violence or even less violence) and more about being excluded from the social group. The classic bullying scenario is the one where "everyone in the class" continually derides the victim and almost compete amongst themselves in coming up with creative ways to humiliate them; it can involve violence but doesn't have to. The main thing is to never let the victim forget that "you're not one of us."

Hey, that sort of sounds like the way we Languishistas treat each other continually. Especially when it comes to Slargos.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius