News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UK clamps down on non-EEA immigrant chefs

Started by Brazen, March 14, 2011, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

QuoteUK takeaway jobs ban for immigrants from outside EEA

Migrants from outside the European Economic Area will no longer be allowed to work in the UK as chefs in takeaway restaurants, the government has said.

The ruling comes after the Migration Advisory Committee (Mac) was asked to review the country's skill shortages.

A similar ban will apply to workers such as hairdressers, beauty salon managers and estate agents from April.

The number of skilled migrants not from the European Economic Area is being capped annually at 21,700.
Sheep shearers

The Home Office has already announced that only graduate-level non-European Economic Area (EEA) workers will be allowed to apply to come to the UK.

Now it has reduced the list of jobs where there is a skills shortage in the UK to eight occupations, including senior care workers, sheep shearers and pipe welders, following advice from the the UK Border Agency's Mac.

Chefs will need to have graduate-level qualifications, with a minimum of five years' experience in an equivalent role, and need to earn at least of £28,260 per year after their accommodation and food.

Those from outside the EEA wanting to work in fast food outlets and takeaways will not be allowed in to the UK at all.

Immigration Minister Damian Green: "These changes will allow firms to bring in people with necessary skills without migrants becoming the first resort to fill a wide range of available jobs.

"This government is also determined to get people back to work and provide business with the skills they need from the British workforce - reducing the need for migrants at the same time as we reduce their number."

The government wants to cut net migration from about 200,000 a year to tens of thousands by 2015.

The EEA comprises countries in the European Union and European Free Trade Association.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12733899

Re: the bolded part, I don't know ANYONE who earns that much after accommodation and food, much less chefs.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

£28,260? Wow, that's a lot.
Cutting down on takeaway workers- good, that does seem to be an area where lots of dodgy immigrants dwell. Its low grade work any idiot can do too, perfect for some of our masses of unemployed.
But how many chefs earn over 28k? We're stopping chefs from even mid-range restaurants here, only letting in the masters.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

:lol: Right, but it's America that's all racist and shit.  My lunch of leftover black bean burrito was almost certainly cooked by an 'undocumented' Mexican, and I don't mind one bit. :)

Brazen

Having suffered Chinese and Indian food made by white people in somewhat less multicultural parts of the UK, we're dooming ourselves to meat in funny-coloured gravy.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 10:38:29 AM
:lol: Right, but it's America that's all racist and shit.  My lunch of leftover black bean burrito was almost certainly cooked by an 'undocumented' Mexican, and I don't mind one bit. :)

Is it really racism that is driving this? After all, individuals from outside the UK but in the EEA can still come in.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2011, 10:43:16 AM
Is it really racism that is driving this? After all, individuals from outside the UK but in the EEA can still come in.
We don't have that many Latvian and Norwegian takeaways.

Josquius

[conspiracy theorist]
See, this is all part of the tory's attempts to stratify society into a ruling class and a under class. Tomorrow only the richest of the rich will be able to enjoy foreign cuisine. The day after that maybe only they'll be allowed to see foreign films. The day after that travel abroad. The day after that know these foreign countries even exist. The masses will exist in ignorant squalor, solely to toil for the gratification of our masters.
[/conspiracy theorist]

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 10:38:29 AM
In times of unemployment being too low I'm all for immigration too. In times of high unemployment and a shaky economy though...I would rather it be done by a Brit instead of adding another person to the country.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Are India and Pakistan in the EEA, I wonder? :hmm:

Brazen

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 10:49:12 AM
Are India and Pakistan in the EEA, I wonder? :hmm:

Are you suggesting that UK doesn't have Indian and Pakistani citizens?

Anyway, Jos's comments is more in the vein of where I thought this was coming from.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

The point I was (apparently badly) trying to make, or at least hint at, is that you know if something like this was implemented in the US, everyone would be screaming 'AMERICA RACIDISTIC!'

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 10:56:33 AM
The point I was (apparently badly) trying to make, or at least hint at, is that you know if something like this was implemented in the US, everyone would be screaming 'AMERICA RACIDISTIC!'
You already don't let immigrants come to work in such jobs do you?
██████
██████
██████

Caliga