News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UK clamps down on non-EEA immigrant chefs

Started by Brazen, March 14, 2011, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonasSalk

We let plenty of illegal aliens come in and so all sorts of jobs.  Most of them have a better grasp of English than Tyr after about a year or so.
Yuman

Josquius

Illegals coming in and doing jobs anyway are quite a different thing to people being officially allowed in and granted visas to do the jobs.
We do, and will even after this (more so probally), get lots of illegals in these jobs too.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 10:56:33 AM
The point I was (apparently badly) trying to make, or at least hint at, is that you know if something like this was implemented in the US, everyone would be screaming 'AMERICA RACIDISTIC!'

Wouldn't our equivalent be NAFTA? Kind of hard to claim racism if we limited jobs to individuals in NAFTA member states.

While I understand your point in general, I'm not entirely sure how it applies here.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 14, 2011, 11:04:56 AM
We let plenty of illegal aliens come in and so all sorts of jobs.  Most of them have a better grasp of English than Tyr after about a year or so.

In what sense are they illegal then?

Richard Hakluyt

I wouldn't say that immigrant chefs were a huge problem in the UK  :hmm:

This is playing to the gallery I think, trying to keep the right-wing of the Tory party happy; apart from anything else the effect on the immigartion figures will be negligible.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2011, 11:08:02 AM
The point I was (apparently badly) trying to make, or at least hint at, is that you know if something like this was implemented in the US, everyone would be screaming 'AMERICA RACIDISTIC!'

Wouldn't our equivalent be NAFTA? Kind of hard to claim racism if we limited jobs to individuals in NAFTA member states.

While I understand your point in general, I'm not entirely sure how it applies here.

NOt exactly.  Under Schengen anyone from a number of countries can freely enter the UK and work there.

Obtaining a NAFTA work visa is scarecely easier than entering the US any other way.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Gups on March 14, 2011, 11:37:22 AM

Pretty much every sense of the term.  We don't officially let them in.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2011, 03:22:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2011, 11:08:02 AM

NOt exactly.  Under Schengen anyone from a number of countries can freely enter the UK and work there.

Obtaining a NAFTA work visa is scarecely easier than entering the US any other way.

Alright so then there really isn't an equivalent that someone could cry racism about...<_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Brazen on March 14, 2011, 10:40:09 AM
Having suffered Chinese and Indian food made by white people in somewhat less multicultural parts of the UK, we're dooming ourselves to meat in funny-coloured gravy.

So back to tradition, eh? ;)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

Speaking of imports, can we send Piers Morgan and Martin Bashir back to their English hellhole from which they came?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2011, 03:31:16 PM
Quote from: Gups on March 14, 2011, 11:37:22 AM

Pretty much every sense of the term.  We don't officially let them in.
Quote from: JonasSalk on March 14, 2011, 11:04:56 AM

And it's not like legal immigrants are banned from working as chefs

Warspite

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 14, 2011, 03:20:42 PM

This is playing to the gallery I think, trying to keep the right-wing of the Tory party happy; apart from anything else the effect on the immigartion figures will be negligible.

I disagree - at least anecdotally, the new restrictions on work permits being issued has hit several of my friends here who are a damn sight higher up the employment pecking order than a takeaway chef. I think a number of large financial firms in particular will be increasingly miffed that they can no longer pick the best candidates from across the world to work in their London offices: this is an important consideration for them, considering most British applicants have relatively woeful mathematical skills.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Richard Hakluyt

Interesting, I was hoping that they wouldn't be so foolish as to prevent foreign experts from working here. We have too many low-skilled Pakistanis and Eastern Europeans coming in, clearly the solution is to prevent highly-qualified Yanks, Canadians and Aussies coming over.........I think I need one of those face-palm pics..........

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 15, 2011, 11:38:53 AM
Interesting, I was hoping that they wouldn't be so foolish as to prevent foreign experts from working here. We have too many low-skilled Pakistanis and Eastern Europeans coming in, clearly the solution is to prevent highly-qualified Yanks, Canadians and Aussies coming over.........I think I need one of those face-palm pics..........

Your welcome.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 14, 2011, 03:20:42 PM
UK Border Force informs me that takeaways harbour a lot of illegals, but this is targeting the merely under-qualified :hmm: