Gingritch: I boffed her because I'm such a hard-working, patriotic person

Started by Malthus, March 10, 2011, 04:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on March 10, 2011, 06:01:22 PM
Quote from: Slargos on March 10, 2011, 05:43:03 PM
Are you willing to quote a source on that last that isn't Braveheart?  :hmm:

Would you be willing to accept an interview with Mel Gibson?

Well, if it involved that gentleman's views on Jews, I think there would be a receptive audience.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

I never would have voted for Nootie anyway, but if I would have considered it that absurd quote by him (assuming it wasn't taken totally out of context) likely would have changed my mind. :lol:

Actually, come to think of it... it sounds like something Clinton would have said. :hmm: :wub:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2011, 05:57:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2011, 04:58:13 PM
Actually I love Newt.  He's an ideas man, and there are too few of them in politics.  But his personal life is an absolute train wreck.
He's a poser.  He's an ideas man of politics like Bernard Henri-Levy's an ideas man of modern philosophy. 

But a lot less tan and physically fit.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I liked the concept of the Contract With America.  Not the particulars, of which I remember none, just the notion that "here's a list of things we promise to do if you elect us."

DGuller

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2011, 07:06:09 PM
I liked the concept of the Contract With America.  Not the particulars, of which I remember none, just the notion that "here's a list of things we promise to do if you elect us."

Looking it up - they did pretty good for Congress doing a lot of what they said they would.  However a lot of the bigger profile items were vetoed, or struck down in the courts.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2011, 07:43:51 PM
Looking it up - they did pretty good for Congress doing a lot of what they said they would.  However a lot of the bigger profile items were vetoed, or struck down in the courts.
Can't fault them for that.

DGuller

citizen k

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2011, 05:06:18 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 10, 2011, 05:02:18 PM
His ideas are mostly bad though. I can't stand him - total partisan hack - cares more about winning than about being right or helping his country. And a complete hypocrite, lying, no ethics piece of shit.

I'm not sure that's completely right.  He is hyper-partisan, to be sure.  But to say he cares more about winning than being right or helping his country?  No - he pushes ideology first and foremost.  He isn't a "do whatever it takes to win" guy.

Yeah, it sounds more like Karl Rove.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2011, 07:22:02 PM
Who is going to arbitrate the breach of contract issues?
The voters, obviously.

edit: Wait a minute.  "Is going to?"  Like, in the future?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2011, 07:52:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2011, 07:22:02 PM
Who is going to arbitrate the breach of contract issues?
The voters, obviously.

edit: Wait a minute.  "Is going to?"  Like, in the future?
That's not really an arbitration, though.  That's more like failure to renew contract.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2011, 07:55:31 PM
That's not really an arbitration, though.  That's more like failure to renew contract.
:huh:  I don't get it.  Are you trying to make the point that the Contract With America wasn't really a contract?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2011, 08:06:20 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2011, 07:55:31 PM
:huh:  I don't get it.  Are you trying to make the point that the Contract With America wasn't really a contract?
Yes. :contract:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien