News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Iormlund on April 25, 2013, 04:51:58 PMNow it's up to 40%.

Jesus. So if I go to Malaga or Seville, almost half the people I see will be unemployed? I don't understand how a society can function like that. These dudes must be doing all kinds of off the books cash transactions with each other.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

It's worst in Huelva and especially Cádiz. And yes, there has to be all sorts of submerged economy, though bear in mind those numbers do not include people that went back to school or are receiving any kind of training so it goes both ways.

Many people down there work during tourist season and live off benefits or savings the rest of the year. And then there's PER, which is basically a subsidy for those who work a few weeks a year in agriculture.

The Larch

IIRC there are three Andalusian provinces (Cádiz, Huelva and Jaén) where unemployment is higher than 40%, the highest in all of Spain. The top 5 provinces by unemployment are all Andalusian. It must be a hellhole down there.

Iormlund

Yeah. It's bad enough here and it's half of that.

How did your situation work out, btw?

Neil

So when do the political streetfights start that will lead the Nazis or commies to power?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on April 26, 2013, 07:18:27 AM
Yeah. It's bad enough here and it's half of that.

How did your situation work out, btw?

I've been freelancing since last year.

Iormlund

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2013, 07:56:11 AM
So when do the political streetfights start that will lead the Nazis or commies to power?

Won't happen. Kids are used to rely on their parents well into their 30s (it was the only way to access a home). Can't have violence without them.

That being said, support for the commies has risen lately. OTOH nazis are still irrelevant.

Quote from: The Larch on April 26, 2013, 07:58:02 AM

I've been wondering if I should do my own thing if (when) I get laid off as well, but I can't see any chance of success in the current climate. How's that working out for you?

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on April 26, 2013, 09:11:10 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2013, 07:56:11 AM

Won't happen. Kids are used to rely on their parents well into their 30s (it was the only way to access a home). Can't have violence without them.

That being said, support for the commies has risen lately. OTOH nazis are still irrelevant.

Nazis are already in government. Or parading outside politicians' homes, depending on your side.  :P

Quote from: The Larch on April 26, 2013, 07:58:02 AM

I've been wondering if I should do my own thing if (when) I get laid off as well, but I can't see any chance of success in the current climate. How's that working out for you?

If you can manage to snatch foreign clients it can be doable. I've worked most of last year for Brits and this year for Dutchies.

KRonn

Wow, that's nasty unemployment in parts of, or most of Spain. How does Spain fare among other EU nations with unemployment? I assume Greece is worse but aside from that, are unemployment rates  getting better or worse overall in the EU?

The Larch

Quote from: KRonn on April 26, 2013, 10:36:30 AM
Wow, that's nasty unemployment in parts of, or most of Spain. How does Spain fare among other EU nations with unemployment? I assume Greece is worse but aside from that, are unemployment rates  getting better or worse overall in the EU?

No, I believe Spain's unemployment rate is the worst in all the EU by far. It has always been like that, our unemployment rates are atrocious since long before the crisis.

Zanza

Greece has recently overtaken you...

Data

@KRonn: unemployment is at a record high in the EU this month, so it's getting worse.

The Larch

Damn, can't even win at that anymore.  :mad: First Bayern, then Borussia, now this?

crazy canuck

What solutions are being proposed?

Within Spain, I mean.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2013, 11:17:09 AM

Within Spain, I mean.

Nothing. The government is trying to sell us that, since unemployment isn't growing so fast anymore their policies are a success.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on April 26, 2013, 11:25:54 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2013, 11:17:09 AM

Within Spain, I mean.

Nothing. The government is trying to sell us that, since unemployment isn't growing so fast anymore their policies are a success.

You have to admit, if you stick with the current policies long enough, it is only a matter of time before unemployment stops going up.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014