News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

She's 35, a mp since 2002. So basically everything she will have ever done is being a politician. Atleast she wasn't a lawyer for 30 years before. :puke:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 16, 2013, 12:15:23 PM
She's 35, a mp since 2002. So basically everything she will have ever done is being a politician. Atleast she wasn't a lawyer for 30 years before. :puke:

SHE'S CUTE. All that matters.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadImmortalMan

Profession    Sociologist

No thanks.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 16, 2013, 12:10:47 PM
How about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristina_Schröder

:licklips:
Bah, she is not cute. And she is really unpopular in Germany, way too conservative for a mainstream politician. She will never be German chancellor.

The realistic alternative to von der Leyen is Thomas de Maizière.

But Merkel is by far the most popular politician in Germany and short of some freakish scenario, she'll be reelected in September to rule Europe Germany for another four years.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on April 16, 2013, 01:15:09 PM
But Merkel is by far the most popular politician in Germany and short of some freakish scenario, she'll be reelected in September to rule Europe Germany for another four years.
The most popular politician, or just party leader? After eight years that's extraordinary :mellow:

How is her popularity within the party though?
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

She is the most popular politician among Germany's top politicians. There is a regular poll with government members and some opposition politicians (party, faction leaders and top candidates). She has been number one for years.

Her party is extremely loyal. No way an internal revolt can threaten her.

Iormlund

Meanwhile, in Orwellian Spain, our beloved leaders are congratulating themselves for curbing unemployment the day a new record is reached. We're up to 27.16% unemployment (not counting "students"). Almost 2 million families have no breadwinner.

Bluebook

At what point of unemployment does a society cease to function? Anyone knows?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Bluebook on April 25, 2013, 03:21:55 PM

I think the US and Germany had comparable unemployment during the Great Depression.  c. 33%

I don't think you can say there's a certain unemployment rate at which all societies are certain to fall apart.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Bluebook on April 25, 2013, 03:21:55 PM

At the point at which the bastille is stormed.

Iormlund

Rescuing a post from Tamas from a way back ...

Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2012, 02:54:05 PM
How can the end of the euro as a currency be considered? It would eliminate decades of progress in European integration, as the failure of the common currency would be interpreted by the masses as the failure of the EU as a project.

Spain now more euro-esceptic than the UK.

MadImmortalMan

Wow that's a big swing. I wonder how Portugal compares. I no longer know any pro-euro Portuguese. They all changed their minds. Even the ambassador, who I spoke with just the other day.

Also, 9% unemployment before the crisis hit is still crazy high in my mind. I think if it were here, 25% unemployment would be a bigger destabilizing factor since we're just not used to that shit.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

I guess that if you're making a union you shouldn't make it retarded.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 25, 2013, 04:38:12 PM
Also, 9% unemployment before the crisis hit is still crazy high in my mind. I think if it were here, 25% unemployment would be a bigger destabilizing factor since we're just not used to that shit.

There's a big geographical component to unemployment here. Mostly the further south you live, the more unlikely it is to have a job. Back in the good old bubble days unemployment here in Aragón was something like 3%. Now it's over 20%. In Andalucía it must have been well over 10% back then. Now it's up to 40%.