News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

I'll agree that bonds should be junior yo uninsured deposits, however that scenario is unlikely. Grandma and Grandpa won't have €200k in deposits. Unless Cyprus is exceptional within Club Med the lion share of their savings - if they have any - will be in real estate.

PJL

Looks like the shit is already hitting the fan in the Asian markets. Euro is down 1.5 cents on the dollar. Next few days are definitely going to be interesting.

mongers

Quote from: PJL on March 17, 2013, 05:08:12 PM
Looks like the shit is already hitting the fan in the Asian markets. Euro is down 1.5 cents on the dollar. Next few days are definitely going to be interesting.

I for one will be withdrawing all of my savings, first thing Monday; I'll need a substantial small wallet to take them away in.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

I'm in the nearest Swiss Francs ETF as soon as the market opens.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2013, 12:57:06 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 17, 2013, 12:29:30 PM
What a terrible way to do things...apparently Cyprus depositors were insured up to 100k. If you are going to allocate losses to the depositors, they should first go to the uninsured, and then (if needed) to the insured.

Agree with this part.  It sounds to me like breech of contract by the government. 

It's breech of the public trust more than breech of contract, I'd say, at least in legal terms.

Though it does show just what a government's word on something is worth. 

Richard Hakluyt

Throughout the EU there is a government guarantee for small deposits. Typically about 100k Euro. Most people assumed that this meant that their deposits were safe. But the deposit guarantee does not cover a tax on deposits.

According to this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21825981 Germany and the IMF wanted to respect ".....the deposit guarantee for accounts up to 100,000" but were overruled by the other players.

Tamas

Yeah it seems terribly stupid. If this fact sinks in for the EU public, some serious bank runs can commence.

Legbiter

Why risk a systemic contagion over the relative pittance it costs to backstop the Cyptriot banks? Plus why not torch the bondholders or unsecured deposits over the minimal guarantee instead of ripping off the small fry? The Russian oligarch money will flee Cyprus ASAP regardless of which way they choose so better burn them good now.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on March 18, 2013, 09:32:54 AM
Why risk a systemic contagion over the relative pittance it costs to backstop the Cyptriot banks? Plus why not torch the bondholders or unsecured deposits over the minimal guarantee instead of ripping off the small fry? The Russian oligarch money will flee Cyprus ASAP regardless of which way they choose so better burn them good now.

because the "state is in the economy to protect the citizens" is the biggest scam of this last two centuries. They are there to protect the interests of whoever can influence the politicans. And that's not Average Cypriot Joe with his tiny deposit.

Grey Fox

Unless the biggest influence is a couple millions of average joe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 18, 2013, 09:55:29 AM

yeah. Then you get what WE have, and what  Chavez did.

Iormlund

Not the case here. Most of the deposits are over the €100k mark, and most of those from Russia. That's likely why they stupidly tried to spread the pain to the little guy.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on March 18, 2013, 09:52:47 AM
because the "state is in the economy to protect the citizens" is the biggest scam of this last two centuries. They are there to protect the interests of whoever can influence the politicans. And that's not Average Cypriot Joe with his tiny deposit.

Quote from: Tamas on March 18, 2013, 10:03:58 AM

yeah. Then you get what WE have, and what  Chavez did.

Tamas you can't have it both ways.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 18, 2013, 04:26:08 AM
According to this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21825981 Germany and the IMF wanted to respect ".....the deposit guarantee for accounts up to 100,000" but were overruled by the other players.
Wait, I thought we are behind every bad move of the Eurozone?

dps

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 18, 2013, 04:26:08 AM
Throughout the EU there is a government guarantee for small deposits. Typically about 100k Euro. Most people assumed that this meant that their deposits were safe. But the deposit guarantee does not cover a tax on deposits.

That almost makes it worse.  Instead of just saying, "Hey, we're not going to completely honor those guarantees" it amounts to saying, "Well, technically, we're honoring the guarantees, but we're going to screw you over anyway. Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah".