News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Agree that calling it a tax is weaselific.

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on March 18, 2013, 10:27:31 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 18, 2013, 09:55:29 AM
Unless the biggest influence is a couple millions of average joe.
Not the case here. Most of the deposits are over the €100k mark, and most of those from Russia. That's likely why they stupidly tried to spread the pain to the little guy.
That's not stupid.  The people will vote them out.  The Russians would kill them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Channel 4 news reporter Faisal Islam is now in Cyrus and is treating some interesting stuff, this one part of a longer exchange/conversation :

Quote& no moral hazard dealt with by EU/ Berlin becoming responsible for confiscating people's savings for crime of sharing a bank with oligarch
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Guess Faisal didn't get the memo about Germany being opposed.

Iormlund

Even if Schauble/Merkel were opposed they agreed to the damned thing, and unlike some others they can't excuse themselves behind being under pressure since they are the ones holding the purse strings. So it is gross negligence at best.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 17, 2013, 01:55:36 PM
That would be my concern as well, Monday morning dawns with queues of anxious Spanish and Italian savers outside their banks........
It's madness. They've spent a year trying to calm down the banking sector in the periphery precisely, including planning deposit insurance and now, as a condition of a bailout, they can make governments seize part of your savings too.

Apparently the Eurozone FinMins had an emergency video conference today and are considering letting the Cypriots only take money from people with more than €20 000 deposited. But it still looks chaotic.

QuoteI don't really have an opinion. I understand the theory. But in reality, after so many years of crisis, are the holders government institutions and insolvent institutions backed by governments (basically, other banks)?
Yeah. My understanding is Cyprus was doing fine until the Greek haircut which wiped out their banks.

QuoteEven if Schauble/Merkel were opposed they agreed to the damned thing, and unlike some others they can't excuse themselves behind being under pressure since they are the ones holding the purse strings. So it is gross negligence at best.
They've the pressure of an election and the SPD making hay of bailing out Russian oligarchs.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Draghi holds the purse strings, but blaming Germany for every bad decision taken in Europe is good for your peace of mind, I guess...

Sheilbh

Daghi's room for manoeuvre is limited, he's done a lot that's helped though. But so far it's just words. His bluff hasn't been called yet.

I love the Cypriot central banker's called Panicos.

Also I wonder how this'll affect the debate or any future election in Italy. They're big savers after all.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Just for the record I don't blame Germany directly for any of this. It is fashionable to regard Germany as an economic powerhouse but after reunification they had a pretty tough couple of decades. They started a reform program about 10 years ago and are now reaping the benefits; it is only natural that they don't want yet more German money wasted bailing out southern Europeans.

The fault lies with the euro and the EU, the program of ever greater union has moved way beyond what most EU citizens want (at the moment). It is a case of more haste leading to less speed, European integration is receding into the far distance as all these resentments build up.

Legbiter

The Cypriot finance minister is flying to Moscow for "talks".  :lol:

Maybe he can sucker the Russians into bailing Cyprus out. Or at least play them and the EU against each other for better bailout conditions.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Iormlund

I don't just blame the Germans. Pierre Moscovici, for example, echoed today Schäuble's idiotic statement that how to distribute the levy is an internal matter. It is definitely not. Not when it violates deposit insurance and sets a precedent for all future bailouts.

How these complete dumb asses are in charge of a continent is something I'll never understand.

Neil

Isn't deposit insurance also an internal matter?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on March 19, 2013, 07:36:06 AM

Maybe he can sucker the Russians into bailing Cyprus out. Or at least play them and the EU against each other for better bailout conditions.

:lol: Its crazy to get into business with Russians.

Iormlund

Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2013, 08:09:24 AM
Isn't deposit insurance also an internal matter?

Sort of. It was harmonized via EU directive IIRC.

Iormlund

Quote from: Tamas on March 19, 2013, 08:10:40 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 19, 2013, 07:36:06 AM

:lol: Its crazy to get into business with Russians.

I hope he's got a good Geiger counter at hand. :contract: