News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 16, 2012, 06:30:44 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 16, 2012, 01:26:46 PMSecond, the nature of government accounting means there are truly massive off balance sheet liabilities that are not being recorded. There are reasons not to record them: for example, the liabilities are based on laws that can be changed. However, as we have seen, countries seem more willing to default on debt obligations than adjust payment schemes to pensioners. These massive liabilities can be funded if economies stay healthy, but it is unrealistic to believe they can if economies tank. Hence we have the current situation in Spain.
All of your post's fair.  Do you think it's the cause of market concern about any of these countries (Greece, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Italy, Cyprus and Slovenia) - while countries like France and the UK are borrowing at negative interest rates?

I'm not an economist, and I haven't studied the books of these countries, but I think that is the answer. In finance, the standard for long term is generally considered 5 years. We aren't that far off from that in terms of when the crisis started. At a certain point, you have to look at a country like Spain and price in the possibility that this isn't a short term downturn but a new norm. Maybe not as bad as right now, but still bad.

Places like the US and the UK obviously benefit from having their own currency, but also by being close to the only games in town. Imagine you are a multi national with $50 billion in cash. All you want to do is keep the money safe for a future use. You don't get deposit insurance. Are you going to put the money in a European bank? That seems a bit risky. I'd also be uneasy about putting it all in a US bank like JP Morgan at the moment. At the end of the day the safest option you may have are the most secure soveriegn debt issuances, which is going to create a lot of demand for them and very low rates.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on July 16, 2012, 07:01:02 PM
Imagine you are a multi national with $50 billion in cash. All you want to do is keep the money safe for a future use. You don't get deposit insurance. Are you going to put the money in a European bank? That seems a bit risky. I'd also be uneasy about putting it all in a US bank like JP Morgan at the moment. At the end of the day the safest option you may have are the most secure soveriegn debt issuances, which is going to create a lot of demand for them and very low rates.
The German multinationals like Siemens, Volkswagen, Daimler etc. have founded their own banks with banking license and all and park their money with the ECB.

Iormlund

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

We're the champions! :yeah:

Graph shows renting costs to household income for younger folk. With utilities and related costs, it goes up to 85%.

Neil

How is that possible?  Aren't there a bunch of empty houses built during the construction boom?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

1) High youth unemployment -- a result of dual labor market -- means young people make very little.
2) Most jobs are in expensive cities (Madrid, Barcelona and so on).
3) Renting market is severely dysfunctional due to excessive tenant protection.

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on July 27, 2012, 08:19:49 AM
1) High youth unemployment -- a result of dual labor market -- means young people make very little.

you know what I want to tell about state interventionalism :P

Martim Silva

Over here the troika is at odds with the government.

The highborns want to cut wages on everybody, to make up from the cuts that were considered unconstitutional by the courts, and hike VAT to 27% of stuff like milk.

The troika is arguing that, instead of stiffiling any hope of growth with those measures, they should dramatically increase property tax.

This is horrifying the highborns, who own extensive estates - I mean, that means they'll have to pay something, instead of putting the burden of deficit reduction squartely upon the shoulders of the poor. The government can't have any of THAT.

The tug between the two continues. Who will be the winner?

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on July 27, 2012, 08:19:49 AM
2) Most jobs are in expensive cities (Madrid, Barcelona and so on).
Wouldn't it make more sense for the young people in Spain to turn to crime than to go on in that system?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Martim Silva on July 27, 2012, 12:28:47 PM
Over here the troika is at odds with the government.

The highborns want to cut wages on everybody, to make up from the cuts that were considered unconstitutional by the courts, and hike VAT to 27% of stuff like milk.

The troika is arguing that, instead of stiffiling any hope of growth with those measures, they should dramatically increase property tax.

This is horrifying the highborns, who own extensive estates - I mean, that means they'll have to pay something, instead of putting the burden of deficit reduction squartely upon the shoulders of the poor. The government can't have any of THAT.

The tug between the two continues. Who will be the winner?
Is property tax collected at the national level in Portugal?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martim Silva on July 27, 2012, 12:28:47 PM

If you prefer to pay your taxes through higher rents rather than higher milk prices I have no problem with that.  If while doing so you delude yourself that you've won a resounding victory over the feudal lords I'm still indifferent.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2012, 01:28:46 PM
Is property tax collected at the national level in Portugal?

It is paid to the local authorities, who then transfer a large % of it to the central government (the exact amount is determined by the state, with different provisions for each area of the country, in order to make it cheaper to have land/houses in the undeveloped interior than in the developed cities.

Quote from: Admiral Yi
If you prefer to pay your taxes through higher rents rather than higher milk prices I have no problem with that.  If while doing so you delude yourself that you've won a resounding victory over the feudal lords I'm still indifferent.

The percentage amount a landlord may increase a rent is set by the State at the end of the year; it cannot be raised willy-nilly by the landlords.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martim Silva on July 27, 2012, 02:12:46 PM
The percentage amount a landlord may increase a rent is set by the State at the end of the year; it cannot be raised willy-nilly by the landlords.

Then I take it all back.  That truly would be a resounding victory over the feudal lords. :cheers: