News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sovereign debt bubble thread

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 10, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Government control and dependency?  I think that bridge has already been crossed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

citizen k

QuoteA Hint From Draghi on the Euro?

Submitted by Bruce Krasting on 08/02/2012

So Mr. D spoke and said nothing at all. Those that expected a "big stick" from the boss at the ECB are very disappointed. The initial market reaction to this dud is a down move in equities and the Euro while Italian and Spanish yields soar. Given the high expectations Draghi set the market up for, I can't imagine a worse outcome.

I read through the (very carefully worded) press release looking for something. There are few sentences that have me wondering. The first comes from the summary section where Draghi says:

decisive and urgent steps need to be taken to improve competitiveness

Okay, that sounds nice. But what does Draghi mean when he says "competitiveness"? Does he mean between Spain and Germany? Maybe.

One way to achieve the competitiveness that Draghi seeks, is to further punish the Spanish economy, and push unemployment higher (it's now 24%) in a desperate attempt to push unit labor costs down. That would be an insane approach. Spain is already on its knees. Pushing the economy further into depression is not going to help at all. Also, a process like this would take years before the pain is converted into some gain.

Draghi used the word "decisive". To me, this word implies something that might be considered a "game changer". A multi year depression is not decisive, It is slow death. It is also politically unacceptable. Spain (and Italy) are not going to accept that they must have a depression to save France and the rest of northern Europe.

A step that would be "decisive" would have to be on the currency front. This gets us back to the talk of bringing back the Peseta (and the Lire), or some form of two tiered Euro. But I don't think Draghi was suggesting that there would be a Euro breakup at this time in history. He was very clear on this when he said:

The euro is irreversible.

He also confirmed (to me) that there ways no "Euro breakup" in his mind when he made clear that the ECB/SMP would be buying more Spanish bonds at some point in the future. If there were a two-tiered Euro, the portfolio losses at the ECB/SMP would be enormous. The losses would be larger still if more purchases are made.

I conclude from all this that the probability of some kind of currency reshuffle within the Euro Zone is not in the cards at this time. But I'm still confused how Draghi thinks he can achieve the "urgent" improvement in competitiveness. There might be a clue from Draghi in the press release. I thought these words were odd:

Downside risks (to the economy) also relate to possible renewed increases in energy prices

Huh? What's this about? Does Draghi know something about energy prices that I don't?

In the statement, Draghi makes it clear that the Euro area is slowing. He also is no dope, he knows full well that the USA, S. America, India and most of Asia are also slowing down. There is nothing in the global economic mix today that would suggest that energy prices are going to rise anytime soon. So why would he make a point about it? Even more curious is why he would repeat his warning in the next paragraph when he speaks about the risk of rising inflation:

Upside risks pertain to further increases in indirect taxes, owing to the need for fiscal consolidation, and higher than expected energy prices over the medium term.

What is the one thing that Draghi could do that would cause energy prices within the Euro Zone to rise? The answer is he could cheapen the Euro versus the dollar. Absent a global increase in the price of crude, the only thing that would cause energy prices to rise in the EU would be a significant depreciation of Euro versus the dollar (and the Yen).

If Draghi was really serious about the "competitiveness" issue, then he would certainly be looking for a cheaper Euro that would "decisively" and "urgently" address a fundamental flaw of the Euro. It is dramatically overvalued.

We know that the Germans hate all the monetary options that Draghi would like to use in his war with the bond markets. Things like more bond buying, LSAPs and QE are not going to happen because of German opposition. However, the titans of German industry would jump for joy at the prospect of a 20% devaluation of the Euro. Merkel is up for reelection and she desperately needs those titans on her side. She also needs to have some improvement in the domestic economy. More workers making BMWs and VWs are just the ticket for Angela.

There is one other piece in this puzzle. What would the USA have to say about a plan that would cheapen the Euro versus the buck? On that score, I do wonder about the meeting last week that Timmy Geithner had on an island in the middle of the North Sea with those EU "deciders."

If the Euro were to weaken it would be a body blow to the US economy. It would be exactly the type of situation where the US Fed would act. A "decisive" effort to depreciate the Euro would give Bernanke the excuse he needs to put a big QE package on the table.

I was very surprised that Ben chose to "do nothing" yesterday. I wonder if this is not all being orchestrated behind closed doors. Ben needs the ECB to act first, and then he will quickly follow suit with an action plan of his own. This could happen between the scheduled meetings.

Is this far-fetched? I admit it is, but I don't see any other options on the table. A significant change in the EURUSD rate is not out of the question.

I would not be long the Euro for a bit, just in case.

MadImmortalMan

With Bernanke and Draghi both at MIT together, maybe we should just ask MIT what to do.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Or Mitt.  He has a secret plan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

A lot of people seem to be interpreting Draghi's comments today as an implied threat to outvote/overrule the Bundesbank. Which is interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

How could Draghi push the Euro down? :unsure:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2012, 08:09:46 AM
A lot of people seem to be interpreting Draghi's comments today as an implied threat to outvote/overrule the Bundesbank. Which is interesting.

Nothing implied about it.  He called out Weidmann by name and said he was in a minority of one.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 03, 2012, 09:31:42 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2012, 08:09:46 AM

Nothing implied about it.  He called out Weidmann by name and said he was in a minority of one.
I am sure Asmussen shares Weidmann's concerns. They were the architects of Germany's crisis response from the start.

Iormlund

:huh:
I wasn't aware that Germany had a response to the crisis.

I wish we had one of those.  :(

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on August 03, 2012, 10:23:45 AM
Berlusconi owned newspaper:

Will the readership interpret that as an insult or an endorsement?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2012, 11:33:03 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 03, 2012, 08:18:47 AM

By increasing its supply.

So far he's only been able to supply money to banks, that use it to deleverage so it doesn't enter the economy.

If, OTOH, he managed to monetize troubled debt the Euro would go up rather than down, since the current market is already pricing a messy end to the common currency.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2012, 11:33:03 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 03, 2012, 08:18:47 AM

By increasing its supply.

Which he can only influence indirectly.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on August 03, 2012, 12:38:42 PM
So far he's only been able to supply money to banks, that use it to deleverage so it doesn't enter the economy.

A big chunk was used by banks to buy sovereign debt.

Article in the Economist on Spanish regional debt: debt/regional GDP ratios range from 10 to 20%.