News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Orban has pulled Vox into his new group, previously they were part of ECR.

I'm surprised about how successful Orban's being at building up his group. I guess it makes sense for the other CEE nasty parties to coalesce, but I would have thought a party like Vox would rather associate with the more "accepted" Meloni than Orban. But what do I know. Vox isn't even particularly pro-Russian (they have been hedging their bets re: Ukraine).

Tamas

I suspect massive bribes, possibly aided by Russia.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on July 06, 2024, 07:29:15 AMI suspect massive bribes, possibly aided by Russia.

:o You don't say!

Tamas

Orban on his way to the Turk Council meeting from Mosco, dropped by Azerbaijan to as he said "pay his respects" to the Azeri president for "bringing peace to hundreds of thousands in the Caucasus region. We hope we will manage to do the same soon in Europe".

Josquius

That's curious. As horrid as the Azeris are they aren't exactly on Russias good list.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Orban gave an interview to a pro-Putin Swiss paper, made a whole James Bond story out of how his secret Moscow trip was organised (lol right), he effectively said he had to ask his foreign minister in secret because his telecom lines are bugged by "the other big boys"

He also said he will have another surprise visit somewhere on Monday.

Meanwhile the EU's foreign commission-something released a press release saying Orban is not representing the EU at the Turk Council.

They will deeply regret giving him the 6 month presidency because Orban is visibly enjoying being king of the EU (doesn't matter that he really isn't, it's what he imagines and how he is acting)

Sheilbh

They didn't give it to him, it rotates. It's Hungary's turn.

I'd think it was negligent if western agencies aren't all over the Hungarian government.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2024, 06:15:49 AMThey didn't give it to him, it rotates. It's Hungary's turn.

:rolleyes:  I know that. But if they managed to find a way to take it away from the UK they could have found a way to take it away from Hungary.

Sheilbh

The UK renounced it voluntarily. They said they were leaving so wouldn't be appropriate for the UK or EU. I don't think there's a way to take it away from a country. You're in the club or not.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2024, 06:15:49 AMThey didn't give it to him, it rotates. It's Hungary's turn.

I'd think it was negligent if western agencies aren't all over the Hungarian government.

Should have called a six month recess :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Rumour is, his next stop is China, landing tomorrow morning. Essentially he is acting as (I guess he is) President of Europe, and makes a show of giving head to every significant dictator.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on July 07, 2024, 11:14:47 AMEssentially he is acting as (I guess he is) President of Europe.

He actually isn't, there's no such office. The presidency is held at a country level, not at a personal level. Technicality, I know.

Zanza

If some potentates are willing to humour him, so what?

Tamas

Ugh, we are in trouble... Orban told a German paper that "no serious person thinks Russia would attack NATO". Last time he said something similar after visiting Putin was about Russia never attacking Ukraine, and he said it early February 2022...