News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: stjaba on May 02, 2012, 12:25:26 PMIn 2006, I stayed in Colombus, Georgia for the UF-Auburn game. As far as I could tell, in Columbus there are three kinds of businesses: pawn shops, strip clubs, and liquor stores.  :hmm:

Columbus is highly parasitic on Fort Benning (you forgot the army surplus stores), but the worst parts are all on the west side, and especially in Phenix City, Alabama.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: ulmont on May 02, 2012, 01:23:03 PMPhenix City, Alabama.

Which seemingly consists of a quick stop gas station with adjoining barber shop and an elderly black woman selling okra from a roadside shack.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

stjaba

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 02, 2012, 01:27:04 PM
Quote from: ulmont on May 02, 2012, 01:23:03 PMPhenix City, Alabama.

Which seemingly consists of a quick stop gas station with adjoining barber shop and an elderly black woman selling okra from a roadside shack.

I think there was a Piggy Wiggly supermarket in there too.

grumbler

And Ohio's AD, Gene Smith, is a moron (part 1,362,912):
Quote"That's a good way to say it: We're kind of too big to fail," Smith said
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7881076/are-ohio-state-buckeyes-too-big-fail

Smith thinks that "too big to fail" is a good thing!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Have you seen him? He is too big to fail.  :lol:

Valmy

Yeah College Baseball has had lower seeds host for decades when the #1 seeds had bad facilities and the like.  It is not like College Football will become the first sport ever to have higher seeded teams host post-season games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

stjaba

Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2012, 12:56:04 PM

You establish the criteria (pro baseball does it, for instance)...

What on earth are you talking about? There is no such thing in pro baseball, at least at the major league level.

Quote from: valmy
Yeah College Baseball has had lower seeds host for decades when the #1 seeds had bad facilities and the like.  It is not like College Football will become the first sport ever to have higher seeded teams host post-season games.

True, but in college baseball we're talking about preliminary rounds, not national championship semi-finals. Also, I think it's a fair assumption that home field advantage is less of an issue in baseball compared to football. I mean home field advantage in college football is huge. That's why I posted earlier that no school in its right mind would turn down the opportunity to host a home game.

Lastly, there's a lot of paranoia in the media and among non-BCS schools that that the BCS schools/big time programs and BCS are conspiring to screw over non-BCS schools. Remember when people complained that Boise State was playing TCU in the Fiesta Bowl a few years back, like it was some sort of conspiracy to not let Boise and TCU play BCS teams?

At least based on that history, imagine the uproar and bitching if a game was moved from #2 seed Boise to #3 seed Florida. While the potential to cause controversy and uproar by itself isn't a good reason to not do something, one of the motivations in switching to a playoff system is fairness. Letting some teams host but not other teams host goes against the principles of fairness.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: stjaba on May 02, 2012, 10:41:07 PM
What on earth are you talking about? There is no such thing in pro baseball, at least at the major league level.
Well, there are people who think that there is.  In fact, they are as dogmatic about there being a minimum stadium requirement as you are that there is not.  But I'll accept your dogmatic answer, since it doesn't matter.  College baseball certainly does, and this is college sports we are talking about.

QuoteTrue, but in college baseball we're talking about preliminary rounds, not national championship semi-finals.
We are talking about the first round of the college football tournament.  Half the baseball games were played at home sites, half at neutral sites.  Just like is proposed for football.

QuoteAlso, I think it's a fair assumption that home field advantage is less of an issue in baseball compared to football. I mean home field advantage in college football is huge. That's why I posted earlier that no school in its right mind would turn down the opportunity to host a home game.
Yes, home field advantage is huge, and no one would turn it down if they had the choice.  Duh!  :D

QuoteLastly, there's a lot of paranoia in the media and among non-BCS schools that that the BCS schools/big time programs and BCS are conspiring to screw over non-BCS schools. Remember when people complained that Boise State was playing TCU in the Fiesta Bowl a few years back, like it was some sort of conspiracy to not let Boise and TCU play BCS teams?

At least based on that history, imagine the uproar and bitching if a game was moved from #2 seed Boise to #3 seed Florida. While the potential to cause controversy and uproar by itself isn't a good reason to not do something, one of the motivations in switching to a playoff system is fairness. Letting some teams host but not other teams host goes against the principles of fairness.
It is perfectly fair to set a minimum facilities standard for hosting a college football playoff game.  Teams that can't host in their own stadiums will have to make arrangements, or give up on hosting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Also, I think it's a fair assumption that home field advantage is less of an issue in baseball compared to football.

I don't think that's true in the pros.  I don't know enough about college baseball to say about the situation in college, but in college football, a huge part of the home-field advantage is that major programs are going to schedule weaker teams as home games, and the weaker teams are going to take those games for the pay.  It's not uncommon for a major college football power to play 8 home games and only 4 road games, and half those home games will be against patsies.

MadImmortalMan

The most unfair part of the BCS bowls is that they're never north. They're always in the SPF 50 towns. It's unfair to teams like Ohio State and Notre Dame, teams that are built for the snow and the wind and the 4-yard nose-bending gain, to always have to go south to win titles. So we fix that right now.

Therefore, 1 and 2 will play at their home stadiums in the semis.

Oh shit that's great.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 05, 2012, 02:12:36 AM
Therefore, 1 and 2 will play at their home stadiums in the semis.

Oh shit that's great.

No kidding.

Ed Anger

QuoteIt's unfair to teams like Ohio State and Notre Dame, teams that are built for the snow and the wind and the 4-yard nose-bending gain,

The Spread in the 'shoe.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

stjaba

Quote from: dps on May 04, 2012, 09:40:21 PM
Also, I think it's a fair assumption that home field advantage is less of an issue in baseball compared to football.

I don't think that's true in the pros.  I don't know enough about college baseball to say about the situation in college, but in college football, a huge part of the home-field advantage is that major programs are going to schedule weaker teams as home games, and the weaker teams are going to take those games for the pay.  It's not uncommon for a major college football power to play 8 home games and only 4 road games, and half those home games will be against patsies.

Adjusting for strength of schedule, home field advantage  in college football is worth about 3.5 points, which is definitely meaningful. http://www.cfbtn.com/2009/08/myth-of-home-field-advantage.html