Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stjaba

Quote from: ulmont on October 04, 2011, 02:51:26 PM
Quote from: stjaba on October 03, 2011, 11:26:40 PM
Quote from: ulmont on October 03, 2011, 12:22:28 PM
Brantley's not going to play.  LSU will romp to victory.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7052076/florida-gators-coach-john-brantley-not-expected-play-lsu-tigers-source-says

Even if Brantley was playing, I don't think UF would have much of a chance. Anyways, the main reason I'm going is to visit New Orleans. If the Gators do ok, it will be a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Why are you going to Baton Rouge to visit New Orleans?  They're 90 miles apart with sweet fuck-all between them.

It's a combined road-trip. Visit New Orleans Friday. Go to the game in Baton Rouge on Saturday, go back to New Orleans after the game. Come back to Gainesville on Sunday. In the scheme of things, a short detour is nothing when you're already driving 533 miles.

And I was partially speaking in jest- I am interested in going to both the UF-LSU game, and seeing New Orleans.

Valmy

How do you guys like Muschamp so far?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on October 04, 2011, 08:53:05 PM
See, you guys wonder why I fuck with Texas.

Posts bitching about Texas get responses.

Posts whining about how bad Arizona is...nothing.

Fuck Texas and the cow they rode in on!
Sadly, Arizona is like Wyoming.  Hell, they even used to be in the same conference.

No reply is needed for either.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on October 04, 2011, 10:03:23 PM
Sadly, Arizona is like Wyoming.  Hell, they even used to be in the same conference.

No reply is needed for either.

Oh come on now Wyoming is playing Aggies this week.  I expect a massive choke allowing Wyoming to win.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2011, 10:31:33 PM
Oh come on now Wyoming is playing Aggies this week.  I expect a massive choke allowing Wyoming to win.

Hm.  Utah State and Texas A&M have both shown impressive choking abilities.  Does New Mexico State do the same thing?  What other "Aggies" are there?

dps

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 04, 2011, 09:25:48 PM
I will change the mood:

Fuck the Gamecocks.

Why bother?  They have Garcia to do that to themselves.

FunkMonk

Quote from: dps on October 05, 2011, 10:35:20 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 04, 2011, 09:25:48 PM
I will change the mood:

Fuck the Gamecocks.

Why bother?  They have Garcia to do that to themselves.

May he be their QB forever.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Looking more like Mizzou will split.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/05/mizzou-sec-not-ready-to-make-relationship-public/related/
QuoteMizzou, SEC not ready to make relationship public
Posted by Ben Kercheval on October 5, 2011, 7:16 PM EDT

Or, for you kids out there, it's not "Facebook official" yet. It probably won't be for some time. If at all.

When news broke last night that Missouri's Board of Curators gave chancellor Brady Deaton the power to explore all conference affiliation options, the general consensus became that the move was the first step for the Tigers to leave the Big 12 for the SEC.

But, until the dotted line is signed, you can only measure realignment news in varying degrees of probability. Deaton's decision to step down as chairman for the Big 12 Board of Directors coupled with removing himself as the head of the re-adopted Big 12 expansion committee points to the idea that Deaton and Missouri could be trying to separate themselves from the Big 12′s front office.

But is the SEC on the horizon for Mizzou? SEC athletic directors met in Birmingham today to discuss scheduling, and two AD's —  Mississippi State's Scott Stricklin and Florida's Jeremy Foley — said the sole purpose was to figure out how to make a 13-member (not 14) conference work.

"We didn't talk any 14-team schedules. It was all focused on the 13-team model," Stricklin said.

If anything, Stricklin's statements might have been Mike Slive-mandated after Tennessee AD Dave Hart blurted out that the SEC would not stop at 13 members.

Missouri is also admittedly taking its time to explore its conference options. As crazy as it might sound, it could be that the SEC is not the school's first choice. A source with knowledge of the situation explained to the Associated Press:

Missouri hoped to join the Big Ten last year but the league instead chose Nebraska. The university official said the Big Ten remains Missouri's top choice but that conference "has no interest."

"That's what's left," the official said, referring to the SEC.

Missouri has options — that much appears certain. If they didn't, the Tigers would have been ready to grant their first and second-tier TV rights to the Big 12 as soon as the conference agreed to split the revenue equally, nor would the BOC meeting have taken four hours.

Which option Missouri will choose remains to be seen, but it feels like staying with the Big 12 is lower on the list.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

TCU to the Big XII (according to "sources").  :bleeding:-ish

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32536916

Hopefully toad football won't collapse after their nice recent run.  Don't know about basketball, but their baseball hasn't been awful in recent years either.

E:  No other Texas schools are being considered though, so the SWC won't be back.  You can't get gold Trans-Ams anymore though, so it just wouldn't have been the same anyway.

Valmy

I like the move.  It isn't super dooper but the Mountain West is the only conference we can get new schools right now.  TCU has proven their worth over the past decade.

I think it signals that the 'let's get back to 12' faction has won out in the Big 12 and we can expect more invites soon.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2011, 11:15:14 AM
I like the move.  It isn't super dooper but the Mountain West is the only conference we can get new schools right now.  TCU has proven their worth over the past decade.

This is basically a raid on the Big East, not the MWC.  TCU was already gone from the MWC after this season, and it really seemed like bridges were burned there with that whole scheduling thing (not to mention...well...TCU bailing in the first place), so they weren't going to go back I wouldn't think.   They could still get some BE schools and the Mormons without having to take like...Colorado State and Boise or whatever. 

PDH

The time is set - Wyoming to the Big XII
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 06, 2011, 11:20:09 AM
This is basically a raid on the Big East, not the MWC.  TCU was already gone from the MWC after this season, and it really seemed like bridges were burned there with that whole scheduling thing.   They could still get some BE schools and the Mormons without having to take like...Colorado State and Boise or whatever. 

In my mind the Mountain West had/have four potentially big time programs: BYU, Utah, TCU, and Boise.  Now the big boys are grabbing them up.  In any case if TCU was actually a member of the BE right now the Big 12 could not take them because they have a two year exit clause in that league.

If Boise was not a trucker school in the middle of nowhere they would probably be gone now to.

Of the BE schools the obvious one the Big 12 should be interested in is Louisville.  But again they  would have to wait two years.

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on October 06, 2011, 11:23:25 AM
The time is set - Wyoming to the Big XII

Wyoming needs to get to a BCS game first :P

Though BYU never did come to think of it.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2011, 11:24:04 AM
In my mind the Mountain West had four potentially big time programs: BYU, Utah, TCU, and Boise.  Now the big boys are grabbing them up.  In any case if TCU was actually a member of the BE right now we could not take them because they have a two year exit clause in that league.

They're supposedly going to have to pay the Big East some $$, but since they haven't started playing there yet and all that, they're not going to have to wait.  The MWC was already counting them as gone, while the Big East had them as an upcoming member.  This hurts the Big East.....shit this hurts them quite a bit.  How many football teams are left there now?  Six?

QuoteIf Boise was not a trucker school in the middle of nowhere they would probably be gone now to.

Well yeah.  I'd actually be in favor of the Big XII taking them, regardless of academics, if they made removing the blue field a condition of joining.  I hate that field that much.

QuoteThough BYU never did come to think of it.

BYU did do a thing in 84 though.