News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

So, MbM your basic argument is that yes, Texas is a thief and scoundrel, but Nebraska should not be bitching about it because they are just wanna-be thieves and scoundrels?

And why would any of that matter to dps? He said it rubs HIM the wrong way, not that it rubbed Nebraska or A&M the wrong way, right?

It is not a "PR program", it is a fact. Texas gets the lions share of the revenue in the Big-12, and the other schools are there to support them. Just because some of the other schools hoped to fuck over yet other schools as part of that deal doesn't make it any better to those watching from the outside - it makes it worse.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2011, 11:26:00 PM
So, MbM your basic argument is that yes, Texas is a thief and scoundrel, but Nebraska should not be bitching about it because they are just wanna-be thieves and scoundrels?

No, no one is a thief or scoundrel.  Where would you get that idea?

QuoteAnd why would any of that matter to dps? He said it rubs HIM the wrong way, not that it rubbed Nebraska or A&M the wrong way, right?

I'm curious where the idea even came from in the first place.

QuoteIt is not a "PR program", it is a fact. Texas gets the lions share of the revenue in the Big-12, and the other schools are there to support them. Just because some of the other schools hoped to fuck over yet other schools as part of that deal doesn't make it any better to those watching from the outside - it makes it worse.

No, they really don't, or didn't, and that's another thing that's interesting to read, because it's something that really started getting thrown around when Nebraska left.  It's one of those things that got repeated over and over again until it became a "fact," as you say.  It's like Oklahoma and TAMU don't exist or something.  Yeah, that would probably be pretty nice, but they do. 

Anyhow, the revenue in the Big 12 was set up generally like this:  Half was split equally.  The other half was spread out based on the number of TV appearances (football and basketball), so the more the team is on TV, the bigger the chunk of cash from that other half they make.  OU and Texas tend to make most out of that because they're on TV the most (especially Texas with the basketball team not sucking anymore).  They don't get all of it though, and the other Big 12 teams that otherwise get almost no airtime benefit from playing OU and Texas.  The extra money Texas makes is from donations and trademarked "brand" stuff, tickets, and now the LHN.   If Texas had tanked like Nebraska, they, like Nebraska, wouldn't have been on TV as much, and so they wouldn't have gotten as much money from the second pile.   They would still have gotten their "brand" money though (although probably not quite so much), so it wouldn't have hurt them as much, I wouldn't think.  Instead, Texas went on this decade long ten win tear and won a national championship and all that, so that now, even the Louisiana Lafayette "game" is on TV many years.

There wasn't a "Texas" clause, where the Longhorns get X amount or percent or whatever, and the rest is somehow divided up.  There kind of is now though, I think, although it's a "Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M" clause, where they make more $$ than the other seven schools (although that went along with the other schools making more coin than they were previously).  I don't really know a whole lot about the new deal, which seems to be fine, since it appears it isn't going to be around much longer.  :P

http://b2.caspio.com/dp.asp?appSession=070232122937834&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=desc&CPIorderby=College 

I think that's 08 - 09.  Sort by whatever you want.  A pretty cool/surprising one is "contributions and donations."  T. Boone Pickens has put Oklahoma State at the top of that list by a fair amount.  Private schools, of course, don't have their numbers on there, and Navy is oddly missing.  You would probably be most interested in "NCAA and Conferences."  Check out Kansas (it's because of their basketball program, which is a damn goldmine for that school).  There's also a link to expenses that is fairly interesting.  I wonder what UT spends $16,000,000+ under "gameday" on.

You can get to individual colleges/universities from here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=4722523

Here's another link with some different numbers.  It's 07-08, source is the Omaha World-Herald:  http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/2094/how-the-big-12-teams-rank-in-revenue-sharing-funds

In this one, Texas makes the most in the conference, as far as conference revenue goes, by ~$400,000, with a difference of ~$3.1 million between (1)Texas and (12)Baylor.  lol EVIL TEXASS LONGWHORNS! 

Nebraska, Colorado, and now possibly TAMU left for more money, not because Texas is this evil, controlling force that dominates the Big 12 and forces everyone to do their bidding.  Nebraska and TAMU fans, and in some cases, administration types, felt the need to try to get public opinion on their side and used Texas and their massive budgets as a kind of scapegoat.  Colorado bailed because a) a shitload of $$, b) the PAC is a really good fit for them, and c) they didn't want the Texas legislature to somehow force Baylor into what should be their spot.  No need for terrible burnt orange boogeymen with them.  It was more of a stoned "Duuuude we're leaving," and everyone was pretty much cool with that.  Except probably Baylor.

Jesus christ I just stubbed my little toe and tore half the nail off.  That fucking hurts.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on August 12, 2011, 09:05:10 PMIt's just that the way the conference seems to be "rigged" in favor of Texas rubs me the wrong way.

After two decades of watching the conference fingerbanging Nebraska and Oklahoma year after year, it's refreshing.  No less annoying, but a little more refreshing.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2011, 11:26:00 PM

You have any facts to back that one up?  What did Texas steal if they are thieves?  Nothing?  Oh right...

QuoteAnd why would any of that matter to dps? He said it rubs HIM the wrong way, not that it rubbed Nebraska or A&M the wrong way, right?

It is not a "PR program", it is a fact. Texas gets the lions share of the revenue in the Big-12, and the other schools are there to support them. Just because some of the other schools hoped to fuck over yet other schools as part of that deal doesn't make it any better to those watching from the outside - it makes it worse.

Yeah Texas got 10.3 million out of 103 million.  It was a slightly larger share but hardly a giant majority or "the lion's share".  In any case I have always been against that and it really makes no sense given the TV revenues have been so small given to the horrible TV contracts the Big 12 traditionally has signed.

Really from a Texas point of view it makes no sense.  Sure they get a few more million dollars but it would be 8.5 million if it was split evenly like I would like.  I mean why not foster some good will?  However the idea that somehow Texas needs this 1.8 million so desperately (out of...143 million dollars in revenue) so much they created this giant machiavellian scheme where they screw over everybody else just strikes me as beyond ridiculous.  Texas doesn't need to do that they made their money via merchandising and ticket sales and alumni donations not the conference.

How exactly are they screwing over everybody?  I mean besides the 10.3 million instead of getting 8.5 million which, granted, sucks but is hardly some sort of nazi-esque scheme of evil like you are spinning.  What "facts" are you looking at?

And I am pretty sure A&M and Nebraska are leaving for reasons that have to do with their own best interests.  For one the Big 10 and SEC have far superior leadership with far superior resulting TV contracts and so forth.  A&M, in particular, needs something to give them a recruiting edge against Texas and Oklahoma and they think this could put them over the top.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 12, 2011, 09:05:10 PM
I don't like the ACC because of the way they raided the Big East a few years ago. 

My anti-Big 12 feelings are a lot less strong, because they're a lot less personal.  It's just that the way the conference seems to be "rigged" in favor of Texas rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah the TV contracts are slanted towards the more popular schools but more to the point the league management is horrible.  The TV revenue split does suck yeah.  But "rigging" suggests something alot stronger.  But anyway the way things are going right now there might not be a league for too long.  Fuck Texas should have just gone to the PAC 16.  Epic fail.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Texas should have gone to the PAC-whatever, then the MWC would still have several more good teams...

I blame Texas for that.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

QuoteThe Big Ten Conference will pay each of its members a record $22.6 million this year. The increase is due in part to increased revenue from the Big Ten Network.

These payouts do not include Nebraska, which did not join the league until July 1. Nebraska will not receive a full share until 2017, according to an NU official.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the conference's TV network paid its schools $7.9 million each. According to information from the University of Illinois, that's up 21 percent from last year's $6.5 million.

The Big Ten distributes money to its members equally based on a revenue sharing system.

That is how you divide the money. Although it galls me to see Indiana get that much. Fucking Hoosiers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2011, 06:38:46 PM
QuoteThe Big Ten Conference will pay each of its members a record $22.6 million this year. The increase is due in part to increased revenue from the Big Ten Network.

These payouts do not include Nebraska, which did not join the league until July 1. Nebraska will not receive a full share until 2017, according to an NU official.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the conference's TV network paid its schools $7.9 million each. According to information from the University of Illinois, that's up 21 percent from last year's $6.5 million.

The Big Ten distributes money to its members equally based on a revenue sharing system.

That is how you divide the money. Although it galls me to see Indiana get that much. Fucking Hoosiers.

I dare you to say that out loud. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2011, 06:39:49 PM

I HATE INDIANA FOOTBALL. there.

OMG! THEY ARE RUNNING THE PISTOL! QB sacked -10 yards.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2011, 06:45:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2011, 06:39:49 PM

I HATE INDIANA FOOTBALL. there.

OMG! THEY ARE RUNNING THE PISTOL! QB sacked -10 yards.

Not type it out loud. :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2011, 06:48:47 PM

:rolleyes:

Sigh, you people are getting on my nerves this evening.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2011, 06:51:12 PM

I'm only one person.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2011, 06:55:43 PM

I'm only one person.

There is Beeb, good guy lawyer

and Beeb, Winnipeg Jets prick

Eddie Teach

When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way, from your first cigarette to your last dying day.  :homestar:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2011, 06:57:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2011, 06:55:43 PM

I'm only one person.

There is Beeb, good guy lawyer

and Beeb, Winnipeg Jets prick

Don't you dare say ill about the Winnipeg Jets. :mad:

Yet again - I'd think you guys would cut someone some slack when THEIR FAVOURITE SPORTS TEAM IN THE WORLD comes back from the dead...

...and has an awesome new logo to boot.