News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Be better if they simply mandated a green turf.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Butch Davis has been shitcanned at UNC. 

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/30920012

Quote"To restore confidence in the University of North Carolina and our football program, it's time to make a change," said Thorp. "What started as a purely athletic issue has begun to chip away at this University's reputation. I have been deliberate in my approach to understanding this situation fully, and I have worked to be fair to everyone involved. However, I have lost confidence in our ability to come through this without harming the way people think of this institution. Our academic integrity is paramount and we must work diligently to protect it. The only way to move forward and put this behind us is to make a change."

Seems...a little late in the offseason...

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 27, 2011, 05:41:31 PM
Butch Davis has been shitcanned at UNC. 

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/30920012

Quote"To restore confidence in the University of North Carolina and our football program, it's time to make a change," said Thorp. "What started as a purely athletic issue has begun to chip away at this University's reputation. I have been deliberate in my approach to understanding this situation fully, and I have worked to be fair to everyone involved. However, I have lost confidence in our ability to come through this without harming the way people think of this institution. Our academic integrity is paramount and we must work diligently to protect it. The only way to move forward and put this behind us is to make a change."

Seems...a little late in the offseason...

Yeah.  It's not like the Tressel situation, where right before he "resigned" it seemed like there was a new revelation coming every day.  There hasn't been anything new come to light at UNC in months, so if they wanted to fire him, they could-and should--have done it much sooner.  Apparantly, UNC has some new people on the board of trustees, so I guess they were the ones behind this.  But if that's the case, they moved quick, because they were just install this morning.

MadBurgerMaker

The Humanitarian Bowl has been renamed.  It will now be known as the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. 

It has sour cream and chives, looks like.  :lol:  I can dig it.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/idaho-potato-commission-becomes-title-sponsor-of-famous-idaho-potato-bowl-126718198.html

MadBurgerMaker

UTSA has sold more than 38,000 tickets so far for their first game.  With three weeks to go, they've revised their estimates and are looking at around ~50,000 at kickoff (they obviously want to sell the dome out, but that's 65,000 soooo).  More than 9,600 of those are season tickets, with the 10,000 number expected to be hit on Wednesday.   Apparently, when compared to the WAC, which they're not even in yet, these numbers are strong.  For example, Louisiana Tech set a record for season ticket sales this year with ~6,600 so far.  The record for first game attendance, which seems to have been set by USF, is ~49,000.

They've also made a little deal with Clear Channel to have all 10 of their games this season on some FM station I've never heard of (also live internet streaming), so that's nice I guess. 

Eddie Teach

I thought USF was in the Big East. :unsure:

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 12, 2011, 10:41:20 AM

They are I think he means UCF.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 12, 2011, 10:41:20 AM

:unsure:  They are...

QuoteThey are I think he means UCF.

Nope, USF.  The Bulls.

Fake edit:  Oh I see what the problem might be.  That attendance thing isn't for the WAC or whatever, despite where I put it in the post there.  It's just the record for "modern" startups in general.  USF started as a 1AA program in 1997.  The Knights (UCF) have been around since the 70s.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Valmy

This whole 'A&M bolting to the SEC maybe' thing has me starting to hope again for Texas to the PAC 12+.  We will see.

MadImmortalMan

Texas should join the Mountain West and watch the Okies go apeshit.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 12, 2011, 01:16:21 PM
Texas should join the Mountain West and watch the Okies go apeshit.

Do we dare to dream of making the Texas-Wyoming rivalry permanent?

Eddie Teach

Texas should join the Sun Belt.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 12, 2011, 01:19:57 PM
Texas should join the Sun Belt.

Then Texas would have nobody to play in OOC games.