News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

First place until at least Wednesday!

I think we can start planning the route of the Stanley Cup victory parade through DC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I wonder what Byfuglien did to earn himself a double minor there?  I didn't see anything to earn it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on November 18, 2013, 10:04:46 PM
I wonder what Byfuglien did to earn himself a double minor there?  I didn't see anything to earn it.

I hate to say it (and won't blame the loss on it) but some brutal reffing that game.  The double minor on Buf at the end of the 2nd, missing the blatant interference on Buf that led to the Flames goal, the 10 minute misconduct on Little (?!? he's one of the least penalized players on the Jets) which took our top shooter out of the shootout...

But still - you have to beat the still very bad Flames team.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Big Blockbuster this morning has Rogers steals national hockey rights from TSN.

Even bigger in the French world where RDS loses it's exclusivity to TVA.

It sucks, Rogers has too many channels to subscribe too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

I'll have to check my packages carefully.

I wonder if Peladeau tried to outbid Bell because he's pissed off at not getting the Nordiques?  "Give me a team or I'll steal your tv revenues" ?  :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 26, 2013, 10:18:41 AM
I'll have to check my packages carefully.

I wonder if Peladeau tried to outbid Bell because he's pissed off at not getting the Nordiques?  "Give me a team or I'll steal your tv revenues" ?  :)

Peladeau didn't do anything, he has an ongoing partnership with Rogers.

Rogers outbid Bell, badly.

Reports are that TSN paid 40 millions a year for the rights & wasn't willing to go much above. With CBC giving 200 millions for the Saturday games, it leavess a ~250 millions/year from Rogers.

Barrister

Wow.

So digging into the details, the NHL gave Rogers everything.  Wednesday night games, Saturday games, Sunday games.  They also give Rogers the right to operate Centre Ice and Game Centre Live.  Rogers signed a side deal with CBC to give CBC some Saturday night games, but that deal is only for 4 years, and it looks like Rogers gets all of the playoffs.

I really question whether that's the best strategy.  Would it not be better to follow the NFL model and have multiple broadcasters involved?  Sure, the NHL gets a big payday now, but in 12 years will Bell (TSN/CTV) or CBC be interested any longer?

PLus I'm a little disappointed - I much prefer watching TSN games to Sportsnet ones (albeit those are regional games) or even CBC HNIC.

Grey Fox

Habs fans are NOT happy but we can expect TVA/Sportsnet to hire new talent for their shows. Like I read on twitter, you don't buy a case of lobster & serve it on paper plates.*

*except in the South, in that case you do.

Barrister

Apparently CBC pays no licensing rights for hockey, and will receive zero revenue.

Rogers assumes full editorial control over HNIC broadcasts on CBC.  The only thing CBC gets is the ability to promote some of its own shows during HNIC broadcasts.  Plus the deal is only for four years.

Grey Fox

CBC had no pay to the amount the NHL wanted.

Rest of Canada will survive without hockey on the CBC, Quebec is doing A-ok without any SRC hockey. We'll be doing even better now that it'll be on OTA TVA.

Josephus

So does this signal the end for TSN? Discuss.  I guess we'll be seeing more poker and darts in winter.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

So does this signal the end for TSN? Discuss.  I guess we'll be seeing more poker and darts in winter.
No, not the end of TSN.  TSN2 might shutdown, TSN will be in deep shit, but it will stay.  Same with RDS, btw.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

I guess we'll see what happens.  I'm sure this will go pretty badly for the NHL, as most of their decisions since Bettman showed up have turned out to be bad.  But we'll see.

I get the feeling that the CBC's deal is more of a phasing-out of HNIC.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on November 26, 2013, 05:54:14 PM
They still have their regional deals.

Josephus

What about CBC? Not sure what they gain by running HNIC on Saturday nights for four more years. From what I've read Sportsnet will produce the shows and CBC doesn't make any revenue. So why even bother?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011