And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2011, 10:01:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2011, 09:58:21 AM
Seriously.  I don't know how much hockey media you get in Texas Valmy, but the big topic up here has been: with all the emphasis on protecting players and reducing/eliminating hits to the head, the question is been 'so why are hits to the head so completely dangerous, but the league seems to be fine with repeated punches to the head'?

No I agree it has to be eliminated.  For some reason I find the pure over-the-top absurdity of the 1970s Flyers hilarious.  I mean how was that ever allowed to happen?

As for how much Hockey Media I get in Texas well...if ESPN doesn't report it I don't see it.  The Stars could win the Cup (and they have) and it might warrant a backpage mention in a Texas paper or a few minutes on Texas sports radio.

I give the 70s Flyers a pass because they were led by the Pride of Flin Flon, Bobby Clarke. :wub:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Actually even when they do mention Hockey in Texas it mostly just serves to annoy me.  They always assume you know nothing about Hockey (see the Stanley Cup was named for Lord Stanley...and they hit this thing called a 'puck'.  It is really fun you should check it our sometime) and do things like mention the Montreal 'Canadians'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2011, 10:03:25 AM
I give the 70s Flyers a pass because they were led by the Pride of Flin Flon, Bobby Clarke. :wub:

Well he did slash the fuck out of that Soviet guy.   A true NATO hero.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

What we need to remember about the NHL is that for a very long time it was a 6 team league & after that a 12 team league. Basically, a niche sport.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 14, 2011, 10:09:35 AM
What we need to remember about the NHL is that for a very long time it was a 6 team league & after that a 12 team league. Basically, a niche sport.

Yeah but that was decades ago.  There has been a big time NHL franchise in Texas for 20 years now.

Grey Fox

I was answering the "Why were the Flyers allowed to do that" question. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 14, 2011, 10:27:06 AM
I was answering the "Why were the Flyers allowed to do that" question. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Ah ok.  That does make sense in that context.  They did get the NHL on the front pages.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2011, 09:52:22 AM
And I say fighting should be banned in hockey.
And I tend to agree.  I never liked the fighting, it's the reason I stayed away from the minor local league and its staged fights.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on October 14, 2011, 09:52:22 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 14, 2011, 08:50:48 AM
They say it's class less & shamefull. I say it's awesome. Hockey is a game of intimidation.
And I say fighting should be banned in hockey.
Might as well.  Even though the hockey fight is still the most credible form of discipline in the NHL, it's still pretty shit.  I mean, I don't give a fuck abuot the lifespans of the enforcers and the goons (and neither do the antifighting zealots) and there was an honesty to the fight, at least before the instigator rule.  Still, there's not much point to it in the modern game.  It's essentially a sideshow.  Let the ineffective refs manage the game, and the corrupt, incompetant and completely ineffective league office handle supplementary discipline.  Sure, eventually they'll ban bodychecks altogether and turn it into a total flopfest, a kind of basketball on ice, but at least it'll be more honest in the break that has been made with the NHL of years past.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Winnipeg Jets are the only team in the NHL to not get a single point in the standings to date.

I still don't care.  Go Jets Go.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

QuoteColumbus   0   4   1   1

I'm glad I didn't buy those season tickets.  <_<
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2011, 11:14:54 PM
Winnipeg Jets are the only team in the NHL to not get a single point in the standings to date.

I still don't care.  Go Jets Go.   :cool:

4 games.  4 wins.  And they got to beat up the Pens.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 17, 2011, 07:37:01 AM
QuoteColumbus   0   4   1   1

I'm glad I didn't buy those season tickets.  <_<

The Shananahammer has really hurt the Blue Jackets for the start of the Season.

Josephus

Leafs are 3-0.

Wonder what I should wear to the Stanley Cup Parade. Oh dear, I do hope the Occupy-Thing protesters are gone by then.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011