News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

QuoteThe Thrashers have struggled with attendance most of their history.

"I expect the atmosphere in Winnipeg to be a lot better than it was in Atlanta," White said. "It was pretty quiet, modest crowds in Atlanta, unfortunately. It's too bad to see teams relocate like that -- there's a lot of die-hard fans who fall in love with their team -- but business is such that it happens."

Tambellini said playing games in Atlanta wasn't fun.

"It's tough to go to a building where there is two good teams going at it, and there is no one in the building. There's no atmosphere, no buzz," Tambellini said. "That, we know, is something that in Canadian cities, you'll never see.

"We should be putting our markets in the best places to have success. Winnipeg's a place with a great fan base. They deserve a fan base."

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/8276/players-support-winnipeg-getting-thrashers
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Last time the Habs were in Atlanta. The RDS play by play guy was struggling in keeping up the interest to actually describe the game.

Next game was in Sunrise against the Panthers, sure that's also an empty building but not against the Habs it's full of Habs fans, was very very exciting on his part.

Attendance, it also affects the play by play guys.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

The Canucks will soon be crushed, and the Bruins are floundering.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Yet again it takes Jets talk to bring this thread to page 1. :rolleyes:

Your TSN Jets Meter from May 23, 2011:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2011, 06:04:47 PM
The Canucks will soon be crushed

The Sharks have them right where they want them!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on May 23, 2011, 01:42:49 PM
Yet again it takes Jets talk to bring this thread to page 1. :rolleyes:
Well, the interesting part of the playoffs is over.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

It's hard to see Winnipeg as a winning move

A journalist questions the viability of the newest Canadian franchise saying it will fail as soon as the Jets starts losing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on May 23, 2011, 04:30:26 PM

A journalist questions the viability of the newest Canadian franchise saying it will fail as soon as the Jets starts losing.
And since they're the Thrashers, they'll start losing immediately.

Zoupa

Quote from: Neil on May 23, 2011, 04:44:46 PM

Yup. It'll take years to mold that sorry bunch into a deep-run or even regular playoff team. Good luck making money till then, in the smallest arena in the league...

Neil

Quote from: Zoupa on May 23, 2011, 09:09:40 PM
Yup. It'll take years to mold that sorry bunch into a deep-run or even regular playoff team. Good luck making money till then, in the smallest arena in the league...
If they can make money with the Oilers losing every game in sight, Winnipeg should have a chance, especially while everybody is enthused by the novelty.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on May 23, 2011, 09:09:40 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 23, 2011, 04:44:46 PM

I'll enjoying proving you wrong...

alfred russel

Winnipeg has 700k or so people--who aren't especially wealthy. If Winnipeg loses, it is going to lose money. If it wins, it is taking wins and excitement from other teams (such as Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, New York) with only a base of 700k to capitalize on the winning.

So basically the question is, what does a sports commissioner have to do to lose his job?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sophie Scholl

Because as we all know, the only fans of a team are the people in the city it plays in.  No one else is allowed to buy merchandise or come into the city to watch games or anything that supports the teams.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Zoupa

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 23, 2011, 10:28:02 PM
Because as we all know, the only fans of a team are the people in the city it plays in.  No one else is allowed to buy merchandise or come into the city to watch games or anything that supports the teams.

I'm sure the arena will be filled every night, but it IS the smallest number of seats. Tv revenues also will be small. Although the owner would be that billionaire that doesnt seem to mind if he loses money on it, so who cares.

The more canadian teams in the league the better. Nobody gives a shit in Atlanta, just like nobody gave a shit when then tried to have a NASCAR race in Montreal.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2011, 10:10:54 PM
Winnipeg has 700k or so people--who aren't especially wealthy. If Winnipeg loses, it is going to lose money. If it wins, it is taking wins and excitement from other teams (such as Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, New York) with only a base of 700k to capitalize on the winning.

So basically the question is, what does a sports commissioner have to do to lose his job?

Edmonton has lost a lot the past few years - and continues to sell out every game.  Toronto has always lost for as long as I've been alive - and they do just fine.  In a solid hockey market you don't "have" to win to do well.