News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2018, 11:27:26 PM
Caps win game 1. :ph34r:

Tonight we're going to party like its 199...8!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2018, 12:56:11 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2018, 11:27:26 PM
Caps win game 1. :ph34r:

Tonight we're going to party like its 199...8!

You do realize that the Winnipeg comparables go back to the 1970s, right?  It's funny - this weekend has a re-union of the 1978 AVCO championship winning Jets, complete with a Bobby Hull appearance.  Apparently they have re-scheduled the dinner over to a lunch, so that everyone can watch the game tonight.

So I'm just guessing, but there should be a fun TV commercial time-out with a huge cheer to the Hot Line of Hull - Hedberg - Nilsson.

#WHAforevah

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2018, 01:48:10 AM
You do realize that the Winnipeg comparables go back to the 1970s, right?

I don't think the Caps have any league championships to compare that to :hmm:

Winnipeg has three.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2018, 05:26:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2018, 01:48:10 AM
You do realize that the Winnipeg comparables go back to the 1970s, right?

I don't think the Caps have any league championships to compare that to :hmm:

Winnipeg has three.

Thank you for recognizing Winnipeg has three professional league championships to it's name. :hug:

What an awesome game tonight.  My boys just dominated Vegas. :ph34r:

I of course expect a big push-back on Monday.

Jaron

Hoping the Jets can put the Knights to sleep quickly and painfully. I have a co worker who is gloating CONSTANTLY about the GK defeating the Sharks and I need to see him get his comeuppance.  :ph34r:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2018, 09:19:03 PM
What an awesome game tonight.  My boys just dominated Vegas. :ph34r:

The Caps crushed the Lightning tonight...starting to get excited. Your crazy prediction might come true.

Jaron

Jets couldn't do it today, but that's okay. I'm confident they'll still take down these meddlesome knights.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jacob

Beeb, do you have an opinion on the "True North" controversy (such as it is)?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2018, 01:16:40 AM
Beeb, do you have an opinion on the "True North" controversy (such as it is)?

I have no idea what you mean.

I'm not saying there is no controversy - it is always possible I live deep within a Jets fandom bubble - but I just can't even conceive what you're talking about.

Barrister

So last night was the first one of the playoffs where I absolutely couldn't sit down to watch even a portion of the game live.  It was an early start and I had to coach Andrew's soccer team.  But oh well - all through the regular season I would just watch the games after the boys went to bed.  I just avoid social media and have score notifications turned off.

So I sit down last night after the boys are in bed, turn on the NHL App on my Apple TV - and some how score notifications are "on".  I immediately see the score - and the Jets lost. :(

Grey Fox

I don't know of any True North controversy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

While True North claims to have a bearing purely north their bearing actually veers slightly to the Northwest!

Jacob

I guess it's not much of a controversy if none of you have heard of it  :lol:

So - according to my Facebook feed - Winnipeg Jets fans (a few/ some/ many?) have taken to shout out "True North" during the national anthem (to support the company that brought back the Jets/ because they think it's cool?).

The "controversy", such as it is, is whether it's just a harmless display of exuberance by enthusiastic fans or an offensive display of disrespect for the national anthem belittling the sacrifice of those who have fought and died...etc.

... though on a quick google it appears the story is actually from 2017... so... uh... I guess it's resolved one way or the other?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2018, 02:12:12 PM
I guess it's not much of a controversy if none of you have heard of it  :lol:

So - according to my Facebook feed - Winnipeg Jets fans (a few/ some/ many?) have taken to shout out "True North" during the national anthem (to support the company that brought back the Jets/ because they think it's cool?).

The "controversy", such as it is, is whether it's just a harmless display of exuberance by enthusiastic fans or an offensive display of disrespect for the national anthem belittling the sacrifice of those who have fought and died...etc.

... though on a quick google it appears the story is actually from 2017... so... uh... I guess it's resolved one way or the other?

So, I hung out for several years on a "Return of the Jets" forum on the internet.  Why do you think I was so adamant about the topic back then?  It of course hit it's peak in the summer of 2011 when the Jets came back.  The city was beside itself with excitement.  Anyways, one poster on that web forum (not me) posted a suggestion that "to say thanks to Chipman and his company, True North Sports and Entertainment, we should shout the words "True North" during the anthem".  A bunch of people thought that was a good idea, so at the very first pre-season game somewhere from a few dozen to a couple hundred people did just that.  It rapidly grew from there to the point that just a few weeks later, at the regular season opener, most of the audience did it.

And they've been doing it ever since.  A fun game for those watching Jets games on the road is to listen for the "True North" chant, to see how many fans they have in the arena.

It's been almost universally supported.  But yes, there's always someone who has to be contrarian.  Yes, some say it's disrepectful to the anthem and the country.  Although various US franchises fan bases will do the same, for example shouting out the word "red" in "rockets red glare".  And specific to Winnipeg, some complain about showing loyalty not to the team, but to the corporate owners.

But for all that, the fans keep doing it.

Here's a G&M story about the whole thing if you want (though they get the start of it wrong - they missed that internet-driven origin I retold you):

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/when-sports-fans-alter-national-anthems/article4201533/