News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

There is a reason people living in Vancouver are from Manitoba or are descended from people who lived in Manitoba.

Josephus

Surprised Detroit did so well.. isn't it a shithole?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 01, 2024, 04:12:18 PMSurprised Detroit did so well.. isn't it a shithole?

It's all from a "visiting hockey player" perspective.

So if it's a nice rink to play in, easy to fly in and out of, has nice hotels and amenities near to the rink, it'll do okay. 

But still - out of 177 votes, it means two players did vote for Detroit to be worst in the league.  You'll still notice no one voted for Tampa or Miami.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on February 01, 2024, 04:12:18 PMSurprised Detroit did so well.. isn't it a shithole?

The new stadium (Little Caesars Arena) is the theater district, about midway between downtown and midtown.  That whole stretch of the city has really taken off in the post-bankruptcy world.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 31, 2024, 09:45:06 PMThe Canadian tire centre is surrounded by car dealerships. I get that players don't find that interesting.
No Ferrari dealers, unfortunately. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

QuoteLow attendance at Winnipeg Jets games 'not going to work over the long haul,' chairman says

Winnipeg Jets chairman Mark Chipman says the NHL team's future could be in jeopardy if attendance doesn't improve.

In an interview with The Athletic, Chipman said the Jets need to get back to a season ticket base of 13,000, and current attendance numbers are "not going to work over the long haul."

The Jets are struggling to draw fans to Canada Life Centre, the NHL's smallest permanent arena with a capacity of 15,225 for hockey games.

Despite icing a competitive team led by star goaltender Connor Hellebuyck, the Jets have the second-lowest average attendance at 13,098. Only the Arizona Coyotes, who are temporarily playing at 4,600-seat Mullett Arena in Tempe, draw fewer fans.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/low-attendance-mark-chipman-athletic-interview-1.7123843

Beeb, how worried are you?

Grey Fox

They could reduce the prices if only raw attendance numbers count.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 24, 2024, 08:13:00 PMThey could reduce the prices if only raw attendance numbers count.
The problem is with the season tickets.  Not enough corporations to buy season tickets around the arena.

I hope they can find a solution.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 25, 2024, 02:34:46 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 24, 2024, 08:13:00 PMThey could reduce the prices if only raw attendance numbers count.
The problem is with the season tickets.  Not enough corporations to buy season tickets around the arena.

I hope they can find a solution.

That and their arena has limited capacity so they can't really make up the price drop in volume sales.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2024, 08:00:37 PMBeeb, how worried are you?

Like a 2 out of 10.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/true-north-nhl-viability-bettman-1.7126207

QuoteWinnipeg Jets unlikely to fly away again, experts in pro sports say
Revenue sharing, public subsidies, wealthy ownership and downtown investment all play roles in retaining NHL

Bartley Kives · CBC News · Posted: Feb 27, 2024 3:00 AM MST | Last Updated: February 27
Hockey players in dark blue uniforms group together in celebration
Winnipeg Jets winger Kyle Connor celebrates his winning goal against the Arizona Coyotes on Sunday. The Jets are having one of the strongest seasons ever this year, on the ice. Average attendance, however, is the lowest for Winnipeg since the NHL returned to the city, not counting seasons in which pandemic restrictions were in place. (Fred Greenslade/The Canadian Press)
Social Sharing
Facebook
X
Email
Reddit
LinkedIn

comments
There's little danger of Winnipeg losing a National Hockey League franchise a second time, experts in the business of professional sports say in the wake of comments about low ticket sales from Jets co-owner Mark Chipman.

After selling out almost every game for the first nine seasons after the NHL returned to Winnipeg, average attendance at home games this season is 13,140 fans, which works out to 86 per cent of the hockey seating capacity at Canada Life Centre.

Some of the tickets the Jets are selling are discounted, such as $29 seats the club has offered to university students via text message for Tuesday night's game against the St. Louis Blues.

Gross ticket revenue for all events at Canada Life Centre — including the Jets, Manitoba Moose and concerts — appears to be down almost 20 per cent since 2019, according to entertainment-funding tax estimates included in City of Winnipeg budget documents.

The most concerning stat is season ticket sales, which were capped at 13,500 when the NHL returned to Winnipeg in 2011. Those season tickets now number approximately 9,500, The Athletic reported on Friday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/nhl-commissioner-gary-bettman-winnipeg-jets-1.7127200

QuoteWinnipeg Jets not in 'crisis' despite low ticket sales: NHL commissioner
'Get over your anxiety and come to games,' Gary Bettman urges Jets fans

Ozten Shebahkeget · CBC News · Posted: Feb 27, 2024 12:49 PM MST | Last Updated: February 27
Two men are pictured answering questions in a press conference with a Winnipeg Jets logo in the background.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman answer questions from reporters in Winnipeg on Tuesday. (Jeff Stapleton/CBC)
Social Sharing
Facebook
X
Email
Reddit
LinkedIn

comments
The man who granted Winnipeg a National Hockey League franchise 13 years ago says he believes that the Jets will overcome struggles to keep fans in the seats.

"This is a place — Winnipeg — where hockey matters," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said at a 5 p.m. CT Tuesday press conference before the Jets' home game against the St. Louis Blues.

"I believe that this is a strong NHL market. I believe that ownership has made extraordinary commitments to the Jets, to this arena, to the downtown area, involving hundreds of millions of dollars," he said.

"I'm not sure why people are now speculating that somehow they're not going to be here."

[full articles at each link]

The team had a sell-out streak for years and years - and now they don't.  So something is going on.  But the idea of the team relocating seems incredibly small.  Unlike in the 1990 the team owns its own arena, has multiple revenue streams, has an incredibly well-capitalized ownership group, the league has a salary cap and revenue sharing...

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2024, 04:05:23 PMThe team had a sell-out streak for years and years - and now they don't.  So something is going on.  But the idea of the team relocating seems incredibly small.  Unlike in the 1990 the team owns its own arena, has multiple revenue streams, has an incredibly well-capitalized ownership group, the league has a salary cap and revenue sharing...
Yeah, I also get the feeling its overblown, even from far away.

viper37

QuoteWhen the rest of the league hears "It only costs $5000 to cross check Brad Marchand in the face.
QuoteCredit to Mike Hoover for the meme

Valmy

Oh but the Pens get to check Brad Marchand in the face for free. Typical.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

AI art is so weird.

I mean I recognize the Pens jersey, but not any of the other unis.  Or whats up with the name brands on the gear?

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2024, 04:03:19 PMAI art is so weird.

I mean I recognize the Pens jersey, but not any of the other unis.  Or whats up with the name brands on the gear?
Black Hawks, Bruins, Minnesota, St-Louis
Can't recognize everyone.
What name brands?  CCM?