News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2024, 02:06:20 PMThe Caps have been just painful to watch this year. They suck and look really bad when they lose...well at least when it comes to scoring. But they have been able to consistently win the close games so somehow have a winning record at the halfway mark. It is smoke and mirrors though, they are going to fall apart soon and I am not looking forward to it.

The Caps have a -26 goal differential, which is very not good and perhaps indicates the Caps have just been lucky.

(Jets are +44, Canucks are +54, but Jets are lower in both Goals For and Goals Against)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2024, 02:09:16 PMThe Caps have a -26 goal differential, which is very not good and perhaps indicates the Caps have just been lucky.

Oh yeah. It seems like they either lose 6-0 and look like total garbage, or squeak out a defensive slogfest 3-2.

Once they start losing those one goal games it is all over.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Two hugs news stories dropped in NHL world today.

First - owners of the NBA's Utah Jazz announce they are requesting the NHL open an expansion process.  NHL responds with favourable interest.

Second - police in London, Ontario announce they have requested 5 players from the 2018 World Junior Team Canada to turn themselves in on charges of sexual assault.  A handful of NHL players have been announced to be given "leaves of absence" from their teams (and who were also on the 2018 Team Canada) so people are connecting the dots.  Most prominent is probably Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers.

Also some speculation that it's not an accident that both stories came out on the same day.

Grey Fox

Hopefully, they won't expand again into Atlanta.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 24, 2024, 02:05:52 PMHopefully, they won't expand again into Atlanta.

Don't look now, but there's been talk of it...

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2024, 02:06:32 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 24, 2024, 02:05:52 PMHopefully, they won't expand again into Atlanta.

In the NHL everything that seems stupid to happen will 100% happen. I expect that the Thrashers will live again.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 24, 2024, 02:10:02 PM

In the NHL everything that seems stupid to happen will 100% happen. I expect that the Thrashers will live again.

Atlanta is still a major US marketplace, and an NHL Atlanta franchise is no stupider then one in Tampa Bay or Nashville - both of which are pretty successful franchises.

HVC

There's still some desert states they haven't expanded into. New Mexico Vaqueros?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2024, 02:13:41 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 24, 2024, 02:10:02 PM

Atlanta is still a major US marketplace, and an NHL Atlanta franchise is no stupider then one in Tampa Bay or Nashville - both of which are pretty successful franchises.

Yes it is. They failed there twice already!

viper37

41% of active NHL players say Winnipeg is their least-favorite road city to play in according to The Athletic's annual anonymous player poll

https://imgur.com/58b54d0b-1258-449f-a626-60163c2260d7

It's a freakin' paywall, but here's the full link:
https://theathletic.com/5239046/2024/01/31/nhl-player-poll-2024/

I don't suppose CC is subscribed the this one? :P

Edit:
This might work for y'all:
NHL player poll

Unsurprisingly, Vegas is their favorite city to play in.

Edit #2:
About the top choice of worst place to play:

"It's always so cold," one player said of Winnipeg. "I don't have anything against the people or the city."

"Cold. Grey. Not much to do," another said.

"Nothing to do," echoed a third.

The complaints about Ottawa were similar, though many players said it's the rink location, not the city.

"I've heard the downtown is actually good," one player said. "But where the rink is ... nothing there."

"We always stay by the rink, and it's kind of out in the middle of nowhere," another said.

Buffalo? Same deal.

"It just seems gloomy when you get there," one player said.

"There's not much in Buffalo," another added.

I don't know anything about Edmonton.  But I know a lot about Ottawa.   And I know they picked a stupid location for the ice rink, totally in the middle of nowhere.  It's a cool arena, well built, but there's nothing around and a lack of transportation, save for you car, jammed in traffic, far away from the city, to get there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

The don't like the two season Winnipeg has? Mosquito and winter seems like two seasons that would be a blast :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

They do this survey every year.  It's always Winnipeg.  #1 is it's just cold of course.  Arena is fine but nothing special, downtown kind of sucks, not a lot to do around there.

Edmonton is often another top choice, but not so much this year.

viper37

My image was shortly deleted, sorry.  Does unpaywalled link work for you guys?

The whole survey can be interesting for the gossip.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

The Canadian tire centre is surrounded by car dealerships. I get that players don't find that interesting.

PRC

For BB, poll of current NHL Players least favourite city to play in: