News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Apparently there's some brouhaha about Fleury wearing a mask honouring Native American heritage. It's a nice looking mask too.

It doesn't make the NHL look particularly good, I don't think.

Grey Fox

It does not. Stupid league.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 25, 2023, 01:16:41 AMApparently there's some brouhaha about Fleury wearing a mask honouring Native American heritage. It's a nice looking mask too.

It doesn't make the NHL look particularly good, I don't think.
Marc-André Fleury native american heritage night

His wife is of Abenaki and Mi'kmaq descent.  Fleury opted to pay the fine, the NHL said they would slap the team with a more significant fine if he put the mask on.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 28, 2023, 09:16:06 AMChicago Blackhawks locker room in shambles

https://twitter.com/theicebb/status/1729298211498602635

That's such a weird rumour.

For those that don't know, long-time NHLer Corey Perry has "stepped away from the Chicago Blackhawks to attend to personal matters".   The team, and Perry, haven't commented any further than that as to why.

So of course the internet has gone wild.

The Chicago Blackhawks won the NHL draft lottery back in the spring, and as a result they got the first overall draft pick and selected 18 year old phenom Connor Bedard.  Bedard has been playing very well so far this season with 10 goals and 7 assists in 19 games (as an 18 year old rookie).

But anyways, the rumour is that on a recent "Moms trip" (where the team flies everyone's mom out on the road) that Corey Perry (age 38) hooked up with Connor Bedard's mom.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

And the NHL deserve all those insane rumours that we start left & right. Be transparent about absences and injuries, ffs.

Good on whoevers mom got to bang CP.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 28, 2023, 11:57:04 AMAnd the NHL deserve all those insane rumours that we start left & right. Be transparent about absences and injuries, ffs.

Good on whoevers mom got to bang CP.

Melanie Bedard is not a bad looking woman.

That being said whenever it's an unexplained absence like this it's almost invariably drugs, alcohol or mental health issue.

Grey Fox

Jacob

If true, it seems like incredibly poor judgement to bang your son's team mate in a sport that has as much toxic misogyny as hockey does. Bedard is going to hear about this every day for years - and probably for the rest of his career. That's potentially pretty tough for an 18-year old trying to prove himself.

Barrister

Corey Perry is placed on waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract.

QuoteAfter an internal investigation, the Chicago Blackhawks have determined that Corey Perry has engaged in conduct that is unacceptable, and in violation of both the terms of his Standard Player's Contract and the Blackhawks' internal policies intended to promote professional and safe work environments,

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/corey-perry-on-waivers-blackhawks-to-terminate-his-contract/

So this story is getting pretty wild.  The "Perry bangs Bedard's mom" rumour is EVERYWHERE on hockey-related social media (and I use the cruder phrasing just because that's how it's being discussed).  If it wasn't true you'd think either the Blackhawks, or Bedard's agent, or someone would put a flat denial on the record.  Even though I have no idea what the source of the rumour is, or what it is based on, or anything - it's so widespread it has to be commented on.

Barrister

So, here's a story going around from my kids minor hockey.  Not his team, but he knows all the kids involved.  As I've heard it 3rd hand I can not vouch for it's truth.

So anyways, the kids involved are 13-14 years old.

Anyways, the report is that two kids were showering after a game.  First kid apparently pissed on the second kid in the shower.  Second kid in response called first kid the n-word (first kid is indeed black)

What we do know is the first kid was suspended for a game.  Second kid was suspended for the season.

Is this a fair outcome?  I'm not sure what to think.  Part of me thinks that urinating on someone should be worse than merely saying a word, no matter how ugly.  But part of me thinks "come on - you know that in 2023 that word is so ugly we can't even type it".

Barrister

Blackhawks GM says firing Perry has nothing to do with other players or their families, and says the internet rumours are "frankly disgusting".

They do not otherwise give a reason beyond saying it was a "workplace issue".

I consider the rumour debunked.  Won't stop speculation however.

Grey Fox

Just say it. Stupid league.

Pissing on someone in the shower is not loaded with centuries of systemic exploitation and racism.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2023, 05:10:44 PMBlackhawks GM says firing Perry has nothing to do with other players or their families, and says the internet rumours are "frankly disgusting".

They do not otherwise give a reason beyond saying it was a "workplace issue".

I consider the rumour debunked.  Won't stop speculation however.
I mean, they got to say that whether it's true or not, don't they?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

I'm not so annoyed that the second kid got a harsh sentence, it is what it is and the kid should have known better. Pee-er only getting one day is what is shocking. Hope parents are going for assault/battery charges.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.