News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 11, 2021, 12:44:14 PM
Quite crazy how back then the league almost didn't want their expansion team to succeed.

Well to be fair neither did the Senators.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

My favorite part was the hilarious skating Romans for their opening game. :lmfao:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zoupa

Any of you guys watch match 3 of the Habs-Vegas series? Am I crazy or was that the worst officiating I've ever seen?

Grey Fox

Wasn't the worst but wasn't good either. Nothing surprising Chris Lee was there.

Valmy

Fucking Lightning. Nothing makes the NHL worse and more boring and bland than the team with no fans in the state that gives no fucks being good. I really want to hate them but I just can't bring myself to care that much.

It is like if they put the best NFL team in Spain or something.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 07, 2021, 10:22:46 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 04, 2021, 01:45:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2021, 01:38:45 PM
Which all supports my point that the NHL has a real problem with dealing with violence in the sport, when it can be so easily equated to the considerations in criminal sentencing.

:huh:

What we do in court is not some arcane mystery - we're just trying to apply principles of fundamental justice.  Sentence should be proportional to the seriousness of the offence and moral culpability of the offender.

Just as another example, Habs player Corey Perry knocked out Toronto captain John Tavares in game 1 of that series.  Despite Perry being a repeat offender, and despite it being a very serous consequence (again a concussion, and Tavares didn't play for the rest of the series) Perry received no suspension, as it was assessed to be an accident i.e. no moral culpability.

What you do in court is deal with people accused of criminal offences.  The fact the NHL still tolerates behaviour that would constitute a criminal offence is the point.
all sports leagues more or less tolerate bad stuff meaning they don't turn it over to courts.
With hockey, it starts from the youngest age and it includes coaches and parents behaviour. 

it's not as bad as it used to be in the NHL, but it's still not where I'd like to see it, as in, most of the olympic's rules.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Congrats to Habs fans.  <sigh>
And they said 2020 was bad.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Josephus

They're going to win aren't they? Parade down Ste.-Catharine?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

By Hod and the Virgin Gary I hope we get a Isles-Habs Stanley Cup Finals.

But either way congrats Habs. I have long wished to see the Habs fans destroy their downtown again.

Valmy

I watched the OT and man, crazy. The Knights came out on fire and had some great shots and then BOOM Montreal wins. Great moment.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on June 25, 2021, 06:59:32 AM
They're going to win aren't they? Parade down Ste.-Catharine?
Yes.  I'd go, but I no longer have my Nordiques' jersey. :(

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2021, 08:18:06 AM
But either way congrats Habs. I have long wished to see the Habs fans destroy their downtown again.
No danger of this happening in Tampa, or Seattle in a few years :P

Valmy

Everybody ready for the Stanley Cup Finals?

The Habs have no forum spirits to help them like in 1993. I am not optimistic but will be checking it out.