News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

It's fair. Gotta celebrate beating Goliath once in a while.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

That's kind of hilarious  :lol:

Jacob

Denmark beat Sweden as well, for the first time ever in the World Cup.

saskganesh

Always love for the Lettish. Wonderful baltic burn there.

Happy about the Jets, who have not beaten the Oilers in the playoffs since 1979.
humans were created in their own image

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2021, 10:03:42 AM
Denmark beat Sweden as well, for the first time ever in the World Cup.

World Cup is always kinda off the radar because it coincides with the NHL playoffs and the best players are often not participating.

But it's losing an important game in the olympics to an unknown entity that sucks.  I'm not sure Sweden has yet gotten over their loss against Belarus in the Salt Lake City olympics so many years ago ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on May 22, 2021, 04:21:28 PM
World Cup is always kinda off the radar because it coincides with the NHL playoffs and the best players are often not participating.

But it's losing an important game in the olympics to an unknown entity that sucks.  I'm not sure Sweden has yet gotten over their loss against Belarus in the Salt Lake City olympics so many years ago ;)

Oh Sweden knows Denmark alright. And they know they're better than us :D

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on May 22, 2021, 03:41:10 PM
Always love for the Lettish. Wonderful baltic burn there.

Happy about the Jets, who have not beaten the Oilers in the playoffs since 1979.

They haven't beaten them yet! :ph34r:

Edit: The last time the Jets and Oilers played in the playoffs was 1990.  Jets eventually led the series 3 games to 1 after a double-OT thriller in game 4.

Oilers went on to win the next three straight and then won the Stanley Cup.

This thing 'aint over till it's over.  2 games to zero is nothing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Disaster is striking in Edmonton, except in the BBs household were it's celebration all around.

Go Jets!

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 23, 2021, 09:48:28 PM
Disaster is striking in Edmonton, except in the BBs household were it's celebration all around.

Go Jets!

That. Was. Epic!!!!!11111

I mean I still had the game on but had mostly written the Jets off tonight.  But then they come back from 4-1 with 10 minutes left, score 3 goals in 3 minutes, then score again in OT to take a 3-0 series win.  Holy shit - that was one of the best hockey games I've ever watched in my life.

Edit: celebrating with my son Tim was everything I hoped being a dad would be like.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2021, 12:10:42 AM
Edit: celebrating with my son Tim was everything I hoped being a dad would be like.

Yeah I took my kids to watch Texas beat West Virginia and win the Big 12 Baseball title last Saturday. That was everything I hoped it would be when I dreamed of taking my kids to sporting events :P

Anyway the Caps have reverted to an even more pathetic and chokier version of their past selves since 2018. This is brutal man, they barely even put up a fight anymore. Three straight first round exits, each one more uninspired than the last. I did not even watch the last two games man. Ah well, at least they had a 2018 that can last me a few decades.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Okay, so Oilers-Jets went into 3 OTs before a winner was decided.

I have to admit - I tapped out at midnight after 2 OTs (100 minutes of hockey, or just over 4 hours since puck drop).  I had an 8:30 pre-trial and went to bed.

Of course now this morning I learn that the Jets Kyle Connor did score to win the game late in the 3rd OT to give he Jets the win, and to sweep the series 4 wins to 0. :punk:

Listening to Edmonton sports talk radio on my drive in this morning was a hoot.   :menace:

Grey Fox

#FreeMcDavid.

I'll never understand how McD thought signing an 8 year contract with that organization was a good idea. He owned them nothing.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 25, 2021, 09:47:57 AM
#FreeMcDavid.

I'll never understand how McD thought signing an 8 year contract with that organization was a good idea. He owned them nothing.

He wanted to be the next Gretzky.  He wanted to not only win championships, but take a sad-sack team and lead them to greatness.

Easy to want, hard to do.

Oilers really need more depth to win anything though.  In particular in Winnipeg when the Jets had last change, they just put the checking line of Lowry-Copp-Appleton on McDavid's line every time and were fairly successful in shutting them down.

Grey Fox

Even Gretzky wasn't successful at that.

Barrister

Whats McDavid going to do anyways?

He carries a $12.5 mil salary cap hit for the next five years.  While every tea, would want McDavid, in a flat cap world it would be extremely hard for the Oilers to trade him.  And McDavid values his squeaky-clean, good-Canadian-boy image so he'd never go public in any kind of trade request.

Oilers have him under salary for 5 years.  If they don't do something in that time he can sign as a free agent at age 28 and make all the money in the world with any team he wants.