And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: katmai on May 07, 2012, 11:43:41 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2012, 11:39:33 PM
Sure, I'm from Grande Prairie, but not Edmonton.  You're not taking into account my player-hating.
How could you hate the Great Oneā„¢
It's not so much that I hated the players.  Rather, I resented the Edmonton media trying to tell me that I should like the team.  My natural reaction was 'You can't tell me what to do!  I'll show you!'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2012, 09:18:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2012, 04:28:22 PM
How did either of those knock out the oppositions best players.
he did incapacitate an ennemy player.  There are multiple videos of this.

What is your definition of "incapacitate?

You are missing my point.  Hockey is a sport where players purposefully hit the best players in the game with the intent of knocking them out of the game.  "A good clean hit" that does such a thing is much desired.

To some extent Football has the same problem but it is nowhere near as common as in hockey.

Grey Fox

So, your problem with Hockey is because it's well Hockey?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 08, 2012, 11:56:27 AM

No.  My problem is that it isnt hockey.  It is a brutal game masquerading as a real sport.

The day you dont have idiots scrumming after a whistle, trying to take the best players out of the game etc then you might be able to call this a sport.  until then it has more in common with mixed martial arts then sport.

But then again some people think MMA is a sport....

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2012, 11:59:32 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 08, 2012, 11:56:27 AM

No.  My problem is that it isnt hockey.  It is a brutal game masquerading as a real sport.

The day you dont have idiots scrumming after a whistle, trying to take the best players out of the game etc then you might be able to call this a sport.  until then it has more in common with mixed martial arts then sport.

But then again some people think MMA is a sport....

But that's Hockey. Hockey is a game of intimidation not a game of skill. The wild era of the 80s has you confounded.

Ever since they allowed the forward pass, it has been like that.

Now, I understand why you like BBall so much.

Neil

CC is just in whine-mode because his cheapshot Canucks got shown the door in the first round.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 08, 2012, 12:18:16 PM
But that's Hockey. Hockey is a game of intimidation not a game of skill.

Yeah, you nailed the problem exactly.  When it does become a game of skill (which it has great potential to be) then it could become a great sport.  But until that happens it is just a goon league.

Grey Fox

Barrister

I'm with CC that I hate the whole "hockey is a game of intimidation" culture.  I love Don Cherry, but I hate his influence on the game.

But I'm not with CC on his loce for basketball. :yucky:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valdemar

Denmark has 6 NHL players.

If Phoenix makes the final it will be two years in a row Denmark has a player in the Stanley cup finals  :wacko:

Now THAT is weird :D

V

Jaron

Crapitals prolong their agony.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

1 win away from best season in 14 years  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Viper needs to update his results but so far only Zoupa & I, have a point in the 2nd round of the pool

We suck. :lol:

CountDeMoney

I don't watch much hockey, but I'm going to watch Game 7, because I want to feel Valmy's chokepain in realtime.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 11, 2012, 12:34:16 PM
I don't watch much hockey, but I'm going to watch Game 7, because I want to feel Valmy's chokepain in realtime.

You mean the Caps moment of glorious triumph? :w00t:

CONFERENCE FINALS!!!!111
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."