News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 16, 2011, 11:05:46 AM
Manitoba Short Time Loaners cause even if they get a team they won't stay long lol

Well I guess this is progress - the eartern know-nothings have gone from "Winnipeg will never get a team" to "well you won't be able to keep it". :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2011, 11:09:25 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 16, 2011, 11:05:46 AM
Manitoba Short Time Loaners cause even if they get a team they won't stay long lol

Well I guess this is progress - the eartern know-nothings have gone from "Winnipeg will never get a team" to "well you won't be able to keep it". :rolleyes:
i still say they'll never have a team, but right now i just wast to hurt you because you're the marti of hockey lol.

Actually, did i say never, or that Quebec city will have one first? i can't recall now. Long term i don't know if they can support a team without being sandbags a la the southern teams, which really what's the point of having that when other canadian markets can sustain a team.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

and i don't represent all eastern know-nothings, i just represent one eastern know-nothing :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 16, 2011, 11:18:12 AM
i still say they'll never have a team, but right now i just wast to hurt you because you're the marti of hockey lol.

What did I ever do to you to deserve such harsh words? :cry:

Actually, did i say never, or that Quebec city will have one first? i can't recall now. Long term i don't know if they can support a team without being sandbags a la the southern teams, which really what's the point of having that when other canadian markets can sustain a team.

You should look at some of those southern teams.  Hell look at Phoenix.  As of right now they're in 5th place in the west.  They played the Flames last night and handled them pretty nicely.  (I watched much of the game and couldn't help myself - I was pulling for the Yotes over the Flames. :o)

The market is there.

Jacob

Maybe the "Manitoba Crown Prosecutors"?  The "Manitoba Maple Leafs" has a nice ring to it, as well. Or maybe the "Manitoba Flatlanders"?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2011, 11:59:22 AM
Maybe the "Manitoba Crown Prosecutors"?  The "Manitoba Maple Leafs" has a nice ring to it, as well. Or maybe the "Manitoba Flatlanders"?

The rumour going around is that Mark Chipman feels he has "built up the brand" of the current AHL team, the Manitoba Moose, and that all of that work and effort would go to waste if the new NHL team had a different name.

It makes some sense, but really (if the rumour is true) sounds more like it's Chipman's ego.  The NHL is a very different animal than the AHL (with very differenr ticket prices to match).  Why you would want to associate your new NHL team with minor league hockey is beyond me - as is why you would want to give up the international brand recognition that is the Winnipeg Jets.

Anyways, I'm hoping he wants to attract an audience beyond the perimeter bby naming it Manitoba, but otherwise keeps the Jets moniker.

Barrister

And the TSN Jets Meter increases a single notch today.

The March 17 reading:

Barrister

And showing how Winnipeg can afford the NHL:

Quote102 million reasons to get CoyotesProjected revenue would put 'Peg in top half of all NHL franchisesBy: Tim Campbell
Posted: 03/17/2011 1:00 AM | Comments: 11
Print E–mail   7Share0Share7Report Error 
DAVID LIPNOWSKI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS ARCHIVES Enlarge Image

True North and the MTS Centre generate revenues from concerts and other events, in addition to Manitoba Moose games.
BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Revenue and fans appear to be scarce in more markets than Phoenix, where the financially troubled Coyotes continue to struggle along without a settled future.

If the NHL is looking or plans to look at other options, the one waiting on that side table with Winnipeg's True North Sports and Entertainment will be a lot more solid than the league's skeptics think.

TNSE owns the MTS Centre and the AHL's Manitoba Moose and its interest in an NHL franchise is well-known to the league.

That interest is legitimate, and so are its revenue projections.

Sources, including one from Winnipeg, have confirmed that the $102-million annual revenue number for potential Winnipeg NHL franchise run up the flagpole by Hockey Night in Canada's Scott Oake last Saturday is a realistic scenario.

It's higher than some hockey people might have expected but a nine-digit number isn't far-fetched.

And if it would be realized, $102 million per season would today put a Winnipeg franchise in the top half of annual NHL team revenue.

In his report, Oake cited $45 million in annual ticket revenue from an average per-ticket price of $75, $19 million in broadcast revenue, $15 million in in-arena revenue, $10 million from luxury boxes and $13 million (the maximum) in NHL revenue sharing.

Sources have said that the overall number is no dream, nor is it any kind of reach, though the report's ticket price is on the high side.

If the ticket revenue number is actually lower, however, it would easily be offset by True North's concert and event revenue outside of hockey, which is believed to be considerable.

At this week's general managers' meetings, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman made it clear -- as he did last Tuesday in Glendale, Ariz. -- that he is not near declaring a deadline for a resolution of the Coyotes matter.

He also indicated that the time frame for that resolution continues to dwindle because the league is eager to set its lineup for next season.

Beyond that, Bettman remains highly reluctant to talk at all about Winnipeg because he's deeply concerned about raising expectations.

He does answer the odd question at press conferences about the subject but basically says the same thing every time -- that he doesn't think it's fair to raise expectations and that he's aware of TNSE's interest in acquiring a franchise. It's a given Bettman and most of his board of governors are aware of those hypothetical Winnipeg revenue numbers.

But presently, they run away from the subject not because they can't bear the thought of a team returning to the Manitoba capital, but because they have no other choice but to support the Coyotes deal.

It's their obligation. The Coyotes are not only owned by the NHL (from bankruptcy) but they are a member club and as such, are entitled to the full support of their partners.

When Bettman's and the NHL's options run out in the desert, they have a pretty good idea about where to turn.

And Winnipeg revenue numbers like the ones cited are no grand secret, and they will make the decision pretty easy.

[email protected]

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 17, 2011 C3

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/nhl/102-million-reasons-to-get-coyotes-118154169.html

The only problem with Scott Oake's number is that with revenue in the top half of the league you wouldn't actually get revenue sharing.  But then, as the Free Press article mentions, this doesn't cover all of the concert and other revenue generated by True North.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2011, 12:05:25 PMIt makes some sense, but really (if the rumour is true) sounds more like it's Chipman's ego.  The NHL is a very different animal than the AHL (with very differenr ticket prices to match).  Why you would want to associate your new NHL team with minor league hockey is beyond me - as is why you would want to give up the international brand recognition that is the Winnipeg Jets.

I agree that any attachment to the "Manitoba Moose" is about someone's ego more than any real brand-value. As for "the international brand recognition that is the Winnipeg Jets"  :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

That's not to say there's no value in the local nostalgia, you're a prime example of it, but that's not the same as "international brand recognition".

Valmy

Well NHL fans across the world might at least remember the Winnipeg Jets.  The Manitoba Moose sounds like a joke.

But then this the league that once had the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 17, 2011, 02:05:28 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2011, 12:05:25 PMIt makes some sense, but really (if the rumour is true) sounds more like it's Chipman's ego.  The NHL is a very different animal than the AHL (with very differenr ticket prices to match).  Why you would want to associate your new NHL team with minor league hockey is beyond me - as is why you would want to give up the international brand recognition that is the Winnipeg Jets.

I agree that any attachment to the "Manitoba Moose" is about someone's ego more than any real brand-value. As for "the international brand recognition that is the Winnipeg Jets"  :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

That's not to say there's no value in the local nostalgia, you're a prime example of it, but that's not the same as "international brand recognition".

I'm quite serious.

Now obviously "Winnipeg Jets" is not akin to Coca Cola or anything.

But to hockey fans around the world - they know the name Winnipeg Jets.  I'll wear my Jets hat or Jets shirt out in public and get comments on it.  Hockey fans in Europe know of the team (and the Jets were the first team to start bringing Euros over to play).  That's not true of the Moose.

Jacob

:hmm:

Well, okay, maybe you're right.

But it still sounds funny when you say it.

Barrister

Just when you thought things couldn't get any stupider in Glendale:

Goldwater Institute robocall urges opposition to Glendale's Phoenix Coyotes deal
26 commentsby Rebekah L. Sanders - Mar. 17, 2011 11:49 AM
The Arizona Republic

Just as Glendale has summoned support for its Phoenix Coyotes deal, the Goldwater Institute is galvanizing opposition.

The watchdog group recently put out a robocall and e-mail urging Arizonans to oppose the city's agreement with team buyer Matthew Hulsizer.

The automated call Monday night went to registered voters across the state who engaged in a live discussion with Goldwater officials on the group's concerns. Goldwater President Darcy Olsen said 14,925 people tuned in at some point during the nearly hourlong call and left about 100 messages afterward with the group.

The e-mail, sent last week, asked recipients to visit the group's website and contact Glendale City Council members.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Stein said the robocall resulted in a few dozen calls to the city, mostly opposed to the deal. Only five of the callers were Glendale residents, she said.

But most Glendale residents voicing opinions to the city in recent months, Stein said, have been "overwhelmingly supportive of keeping the Coyotes in Glendale."

Goldwater said Tuesday that it would sue to block the deal once it is completed.

Goldwater argues that the city would put taxpayers at risk and illegally subsidize the private team by borrowing money that would help Hulsizer buy the Coyotes. Goldwater said Hulsizer should put more of his own money into buying the team.

Glendale contends it would get more benefit than it would pay for the deal, which keeps the team at Jobing.com Arena until 2041. Mayor Elaine Scruggs said the city would lose about $500 million in economic impact if the team left.

The city is trying to sell bonds to pay Hulsizer $100 million, which Hulsizer would use to buy the team from the National Hockey League for about $210 million. In return, Glendale could charge parking fees during arena events to help pay back the bond debt.

Other elements of the deal include the city paying Hulsizer for arena management and Hulsizer paying the city fees such as arena rent and purchasing the arena at the end of the lease.

Goldwater's other efforts to reach out to supporters have drawn fire from Glendale.

Goldwater litigation Director Clint Bolick and his wife, Shawnna Bolick, joined a Facebook group called "Support the Goldwater Institute, bring home the Jets." The group's title refers to the Winnipeg Jets, the team that became the Coyotes when it moved to the Valley and may return to Winnipeg if the Glendale deal doesn't close.

Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni said the Bolicks' participation shows the institute wants the team to leave.

"For members of the institute to be a part of a group that supports the Coyotes' move to Canada is completely inappropriate," Frisoni said. "(It) removes any guise of impartiality the institute may have in evaluating this agreement."

Bolick said he joined the group because it supports Goldwater and is a source of news on the deal.

"The Glendale staffers who are spending their time perusing Facebook apparently overlooked my profile picture," said Bolick, who wears a Coyotes shirt in the photo and said he enjoys going to games. "All of this of course is irrelevant to the constitutionality and merits of the deal."

Some have speculated that Canadians eager to see the team return have donated to Goldwater. Olsen said the institute will not release records of donors without their consent due to privacy law. But she said the institute searched its donation database "high and low" and found one $100 gift from a Canadian.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/03/17/20110317phoenix-glendale-goldwater-institute-robocall-coyotes-deal.html#ixzz1GtOauKqM

ZOMG they joined a Facebook group!  Clearly Goldwater is being funded by Jets fans in a nefarious plot to get out team back!!!!11111

katmai

Of course, anyone who supports a move to Canada is a moron and downright evil.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2011, 04:24:42 PM
Of course, anyone who supports a move to Canada is a moron and downright evil.

Hey! Get your own arguments. Those are ours when teams move to the US.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.