Interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41937689/ns/health-pregnancy/
QuoteSimple blood test can reveal Down syndrome in pregnancy
Screening test could hit market within a year

Advertise | AdChoices
By MALCOLM RITTER
The Associated Press
updated 3/6/2011 1:44:01 PM ET 2011-03-06T18:44:01

NEW YORK — Scientists in Europe report they were able to diagnose Down syndrome prenatally by giving a simple blood test to pregnant women, an approach that might one day help them avoid the more extensive procedure used now to detect the condition.

The preliminary report published online Sunday in the journal Nature Medicine is the latest of several recent studies that suggest scientists can spot Down syndrome through fetal DNA that has been shed into the mother's bloodstream.

Health highlights
            Image: Hiking
            Getty Images stock
            Healthy to-do: Take in the view

Resting your eyes on nature — whether a gorgeous vista or even a simple houseplant — can lower your blood pressure and help suppress your stress.
         2. E. coli found on 50 percent of shopping carts
         3. Sniff test: Living without a sense of smell
         4. Botox for your bits? Shot may smooth over sex problems
         5. FDA defends actions on tainted wipes

Down syndrome, which results in cognitive delays, is caused by having an extra copy of a particular chromosome. Currently, pregnant women get blood tests and ultrasound to find out if the fetus is at risk for Down syndrome. For a firm diagnosis, doctors take a sample of amniotic fluid or the placenta.

Those sampling procedures involve a small risk of miscarriage. A reliable diagnostic blood test also could give an answer earlier than the standard tests.

Several research teams have published studies suggesting that analyzing the mother's blood can detect Down syndrome in a fetus. There's no commercial test available yet, but at least one company hopes to introduce one in the U.S. within about a year.

In the latest report, scientists in Cyprus, Greece and England said that in a blind test, they correctly identified 14 Down syndrome cases and 26 normal fetuses.

They said a bigger study is needed to confirm the usefulness of their approach.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Neil

Good.  Abortions for damaged babies is a wise policy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Abortions for some, miniature Canadian flags for others. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Brazen

Slargos

Caliga

I was expecting the first "Languishites as retards" joke to be about Tim, since he did (of course) start the thread. :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2011, 09:12:49 AM
I was expecting the first "Languishites as retards" joke to be about Tim, since he did (of course) start the thread. :huh:

I was going to go in the general direction of all Languishites but the implications about myself worried me.  :sleep:

Eddie Teach

I'd say there are some pretty worrisome implications about yourself from grumbler having Downs...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

We did the blood test + ultrasound thing for both and it always bugged me that the tests only gave a relatively vague probability %.  Would be nice to have something more conclusive.  We wouldn't have aborted in any case, but I'd definitely prefer to know in advance.

My wife's youngest sister has Down's but IIRC it was due to her mom being well into her 40s when she had her.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 07, 2011, 03:26:08 PM
Speiss probably disapproves of Rose's gambling.  ;)

Absolutely, though I'm with the yokels here who think it shouldn't keep him out of Cooperstown.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

I've never seen anything but white babies be mongoloids. In fact, my stepfather's nephew, or my step-cousin I guess you might say, has down syndrome.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach