News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great Union-Busting Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: HVC on June 05, 2011, 05:08:17 PM
Postal workers are on rotating strikes here. I wonder how many peopel are really affected? Most of the mail i get no adays are junk mail. i go paperless for alomst everything.
Well, the parcel service still seems some use by private citizens, although courier ground services are usually better for late scale users.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've been on strike for almost a decade.  Nobody has even noticed. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Wisky SC just just in favor of Walker's bill over the prior ruling striking it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 05, 2011, 06:35:27 PM
I've been on strike for almost a decade.  Nobody has even noticed. :(

From the bagel shop?  I heard the new minimum wage finally raised their hourly wage to what you guys were demanding back then, so you can go back to work now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Strix

Berkut should be happy. Lay-off notices are starting to go out, and soon Cuomo the Great's Union Busting Plan will be in full effect. Watch for it coming to a White House near you soon.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Barrister

This thread seems as good a one as any:

Canada Post has had a series of rotating strikes for a few weeks.  Today Canada Post announced it is loosing too much money trying to operate this way, so they're instituting a full lockout.

This should be interesting. :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

and the union is bitching say the postal service is trying to get ottawa to legislae them back to work.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

I used to have some sympathy for public service unions complaining about the state legislating the terms of their contract, often even over-turning negotiatited positions.

Until I read about how the NYS teachers union had a law passed barring the state from using the results of standardized tests as a metric in tenure decisions. You can argue whether that is a good metric or not, but there was no doubt that the union contract allowed it's use. Right up until the union went to the legislature and got their pet legislators to slap an amendment on a bill making it illegal.

So screw them. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Strix

Quote from: HVC on June 15, 2011, 01:58:16 PM
and the union is bitching say the postal service is trying to get ottawa to legislae them back to work.

I am not sure of the exact details but if it's similar to what happens in NY I don't blame the Union for bitching. If NY has a lockout of it's workers e.g. a governmental shutdown than I still have to work but I don't get paid. I get the money back at the back end of my government service, so basically I have to work without pay for my bills or quit.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

DGuller

The only sympathy I have for public service unions is from the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" perspective.  It concerns me that initiatives such as in Wisconsin were initiated by the oligarchs who think that the Gilded Age is the right model for America.  Them defeating the unions just removes one destructive influence with a far more destructive influence.  That's not the case with Cuomo, though, so fuck the unions.

Berkut

Quote from: Strix on June 15, 2011, 02:18:26 PM

I am not sure of the exact details but since I am union democlone I don't blame the Union for bitching.

FYP.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on June 15, 2011, 02:20:32 PM
The only sympathy I have for public service unions is from the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" perspective.  It concerns me that initiatives such as in Wisconsin were initiated by the oligarchs who think that the Gilded Age is the right model for America.  Them defeating the unions just removes one destructive influence with a far more destructive influence.  That's not the case with Cuomo, though, so fuck the unions.

But it is the case with Cuomo, just further demonstrates your inability to think or add any insight to a discussion.

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on June 15, 2011, 02:24:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 15, 2011, 02:20:32 PM

But it is the case with Cuomo, just further demonstrates your inability to think or add any insight to a discussion.
:jaron:

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2011, 02:22:14 PM

I am not sure of the exact details but since I am union democlone I don't blame the Union for bitching.

FYP.

So, now I am a Democrat? Or, perhaps a Republocrat?

Barrister

I am not sure of the exact details but if it's similar to what happens in NY I don't blame the Union for bitching. If NY has a lockout of it's workers e.g. a governmental shutdown than I still have to work but I don't get paid. I get the money back at the back end of my government service, so basically I have to work without pay for my bills or quit.

That doesn't make any sense - the point of a lockout is that people can not continue to work.

I would imagine that if you are an essential service I would think you'd be paid as normal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.