The Great Union-Busting Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Strix on March 14, 2011, 01:29:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2011, 12:30:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2011, 10:38:35 AM
They do?

With state & federal budgets the way they are, voters are starting to pay more attention to government expenditures.

I'd say the voters anger is being misdirected. The various governments are running a great campaign of bait and switch. They have everyone starting to focus on public sector employees as the cause of all the woe and taxes when the reality is that public sector employees make up a small percentage of most budgets.

Education (not salaries) and Welfare are out of control. The government has done a masterful job of defocusing people from the real budget issue.

:yeahright:

You got any proof of that?  I think you're wrong on all counts - public sector salaries are a significant portion of government spending, AND education (excluding salaries) and even more so welfare are not out of control.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

They've got to be... the main expense for nearly every company I'm familiar with is payroll, so I'm not sure why state government wouldn't also have a huge payroll burden.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Strix

Quote from: Caliga on March 14, 2011, 02:15:27 PM
They've got to be... the main expense for nearly every company I'm familiar with is payroll, so I'm not sure why state government wouldn't also have a huge payroll burden.

How many companies are you familiar with that provide free medical insurance, housing, heating, food, spending money, and other associated costs?

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2011, 01:33:01 PM
Quote from: Strix on March 14, 2011, 01:29:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2011, 12:30:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 14, 2011, 10:38:35 AM
They do?

With state & federal budgets the way they are, voters are starting to pay more attention to government expenditures.

I'd say the voters anger is being misdirected. The various governments are running a great campaign of bait and switch. They have everyone starting to focus on public sector employees as the cause of all the woe and taxes when the reality is that public sector employees make up a small percentage of most budgets.

Education (not salaries) and Welfare are out of control. The government has done a masterful job of defocusing people from the real budget issue.

:yeahright:

You got any proof of that?  I think you're wrong on all counts - public sector salaries are a significant portion of government spending, AND education (excluding salaries) and even more so welfare are not out of control.

Well, you can check out this website for starters http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/piechart_2011_NY_statelocal!

The cost for General Government was $6.2 Billion and $22.1 Billion for Protection (prisons, courts, police, etc).

The cost for Education was $66 Billion and $23.4 Billion for Welfare. Tack on the health costs associated with Medicaid for Welfare and that is another $34.8 Billion.

You do the math.  :bowler:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

The Brain

Public union members only cost 23.4 bn? :yeahright:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on March 14, 2011, 03:51:01 PM
Well, you can check out this website for starters http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/piechart_2011_NY_statelocal!

The cost for General Government was $6.2 Billion and $22.1 Billion for Protection (prisons, courts, police, etc).

The cost for Education was $66 Billion and $23.4 Billion for Welfare. Tack on the health costs associated with Medicaid for Welfare and that is another $34.8 Billion.

Is education and protection done by robots in New York?

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on March 14, 2011, 04:08:24 PM

Can you read?

Strix

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on March 14, 2011, 04:25:01 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 14, 2011, 04:08:24 PM

Can you read?
Words, yes.  Minds, no.  Can you state your point more clearly, rather than throwing out the numbers without explaining them?

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on March 14, 2011, 04:31:29 PM
Words, yes.  Minds, no.  Can you state your point more clearly, rather than throwing out the numbers without explaining them?

I understand your problem. When you ape the behaviors and beliefs of others it can be difficult to think for yourself.

It's why we love you, Monkey Rider!! :punk:

Habbaku

:lol: Give up now, DG.  You can't debate that which cannot be debated.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2011, 04:36:21 PM

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Quote from: Habbaku on March 14, 2011, 04:36:21 PM

Do you drink the kool-aid straight from the cup? Or do you get enough swallowing Berkut's load?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

I'll see if I can get some results with slightly better manners.

Don't you think the "Education" number is primarily teachers' salaries?