News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great Union-Busting Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2011, 06:05:19 PM
You guys can bitch and moan all you want about how useless unions are all you want...after all, if they're gone, we all know we can trust Big Bidness, Wall Street and the Republicans to always do the right thing when it comes to workers, right?

Unions are the last bulwark against exploitation in our capitalist society.  It sure as shit ain't the courts, it sure as shit ain't the government, and it sure as shit ain't shareholder-driven employers.

You guys kills me.  The totality of every fucking union in this country doesn't even touch the damage Wall Street does to our society.  But that's OK, you keep backing the wealthy, the Republicans and the 1% Masters of The Universe that would fucking hate you if they knew you.  Suckers.
It does not necessarily follow, IMO, that you have to love Wall Street just because you aren't a big fan of organized labor.  I also concede that there are probably some unions that are well-run and do more good than harm, but based on my personal experiences the AFL-CIO, HUCTW, and SEIU are not among them.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2011, 06:08:45 PM
Actually, they do.  Unions cannot survive if they're not in some way protected form being fired wholesale and replaced with non-union workers.
Sure they can.  If they manage to organize all skilled workers in a given area, management has no choice but to deal with them.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on March 10, 2011, 06:09:06 PMIt does not necessarily follow, IMO, that you have to love Wall Street just because you aren't a big fan of organized labor.  I also concede that there are probably some unions that are well-run and do more good than harm, but based on my personal experiences the AFL-CIO, HUCTW, and SEIU are not among them.

Based on my personal experience, you're a conservative assmonkey.  Enjoy your future unappealable reduction-in-force action, Teabagger. *middulfinger* :P :P :P

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2011, 06:00:07 PM
Just because requirements can be excessive for certain positions doesn't mean that the only other alternative is to have no job requirements.  It also doesn't mean that requirements would be the same for jobs with wildly different responsibilities and expectations.

According to your drivel, yes, yes it does. I don't hold you to it though. You are the Monkey Rider of Languish. Always aping what others say without any understanding on your part. Watching you argue is like watching a monkey ride a bike. Yes, it can be done but it never looks natural and isn't funny beyond the initial chuckle.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2011, 06:08:45 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 10, 2011, 05:57:18 PM
I don't think unions should be made illegal, but I would love it if the NLRA was ever repealed.  Unions don't need unfair advantages enforced by federal law when it comes to organizing battles.
Actually, they do.  Unions cannot survive if they're not in some way protected form being fired wholesale and replaced with non-union workers.

I'll give you an example of a good "union".

At my new job I will be represented by the Alberta Crown Attorney's Association.  Now, it technically is not a union, but it is a voluntary organization whose membership is open to all Alberta Crown Attorneys.  Membership is voluntary, so they work hard to give value for your membership fees, and they do get most people to sign up.  They do advocate with the government for their membership.  While it is not collective bargaining, they have successfully made the case for their membership such that they were given a substantial raise.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

You guys can bitch and moan all you want about how useless unions are all you want...after all, if they're gone, we all know we can trust Big Bidness, Wall Street and the Republicans to always do the right thing when it comes to workers, right?
This, in a nutshell, sums up competely the difference between the populist left and the free market right.

I don't expect, and I don't need, Big Bidness et al to "do right by me."  I need the laws of supply and demand to operate so that an employer can hire me if he thinks he can generate more profit by doing so.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2011, 06:26:59 PM
This, in a nutshell, sums up competely the difference between the populist left and the free market right.

I don't expect, and I don't need, Big Bidness et al to "do right by me."  I need the laws of supply and demand to operate so that an employer can hire me if he thinks he can generate more profit by doing so.

That would explain the number of years you were out of a job then. *bothmiddulfingers*

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on March 10, 2011, 06:16:06 PM
Just because requirements can be excessive for certain positions doesn't mean that the only other alternative is to have no job requirements.  It also doesn't mean that requirements would be the same for jobs with wildly different responsibilities and expectations.

According to your drivel, yes, yes it does. I don't hold you to it though. You are the Monkey Rider of Languish. Always aping what others say without any understanding on your part. Watching you argue is like watching a monkey ride a bike. Yes, it can be done but it never looks natural and isn't funny beyond the initial chuckle.
Here is a word of advice.  If you want to insult, scalpel works better than an axe.  It also works better if there is a hint of truth in an insult.  This is Languish, not a kindergarten playground, people expect you to work on your insults here, not just piece together half a dozen random nasty things.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2011, 06:34:18 PM
That would explain the number of years you were out of a job then. *bothmiddulfingers*
What Guller said to Strix.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2011, 06:38:13 PM
Quote from: Strix on March 10, 2011, 06:16:06 PM

Here is a word of advice.  If you want to insult, scalpel works better than an axe.  It also works better if there is a hint of truth in an insult.  This is Languish, not a kindergarten playground, people expect you to work on your insults here, not just piece together half a dozen random nasty things.

Slav.

There.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2011, 06:26:59 PM

Why, that is just crazy talk right there.

I love seeing Strix and Seedy on the same side though. Warms my heart.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on March 10, 2011, 06:42:59 PMI love seeing Strix and Seedy on the same side though. Warms my heart.

Only until September.