News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rome

Started by Sheilbh, April 11, 2009, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I think most of us did like it...the only ones that didn't were the history grognards who demanded that it doesn't stray from any historical fact; and that there weren't enough battles. But, and it has been a while since I've seen it; there were some nice lesbian scenes in Season Two.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Galrion

Enjoyed it alot.  Keeping in mind that it was a historical drama, not history helps.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on April 12, 2009, 07:49:21 AM
I think most of us did like it...the only ones that didn't were the history grognards who demanded that it doesn't stray from any historical fact; and that there weren't enough battles. But, and it has been a while since I've seen it; there were some nice lesbian scenes in Season Two.

I fell into the "not enough cool battles" camp. Too much jaw-jaw, not enough Legions.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2009, 10:05:29 AM

I fell into the "not enough cool battles" camp. Too much jaw-jaw, not enough Legions.

Plenty of nekkid women though.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2009, 10:06:45 AM

Plenty of nekkid women though.

Even that gets old. And the giant wang didn't help.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

I'm a fan of I, Claudius which couldn't even afford more than 4 sets so the lack of battles and lots of talking isn't an issue for me :lol:

Over halfway on the first season.  Brutus is growing on me, I like the sense that he's weighed down by his family name.  I love Pompey.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

giant wang or no giant wang, not to mention lack of battles, awesome series.

I also liked Brutus and Pompey, and in general I think all the major actors were successful in giving you a sense of the characters motives. I could not really name any which was a real disappointment.

Martinus

Like Sheilbh, I am a big fan of I, Claudius, so also don't need a lot of bells and whistles to be happy. One thing though that annoys me in today's historical series (see: Tudors) is that some of them adopt a sort of "modern people in historical costume" approach, where everyone has perfect hair, perfect teeth, perfect skin etc. How does "Rome" address this?

Sheilbh

That doesn't hugely bother me.  But, for what it's worth the characters here seem to look right as far as I can tell.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 12, 2009, 10:17:30 AM
Like Sheilbh, I am a big fan of I, Claudius, so also don't need a lot of bells and whistles to be happy. One thing though that annoys me in today's historical series (see: Tudors) is that some of them adopt a sort of "modern people in historical costume" approach, where everyone has perfect hair, perfect teeth, perfect skin etc. How does "Rome" address this?
Like today's historical series, and yesterday's, the characters have perfect teeth, skin, hair, etc.  This doesn't annoy me, though.  That's the way things have been done since acting became as much about looks as skill; i.e. since "Hollywood" began.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

where everyone has perfect hair, perfect teeth, perfect skin etc. How does "Rome" address this?

Not a problem, most of the cast are British.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

I enjoyed Rome after a while. It took me some time, though. First couple of episodes, I was really more interested in Polly Walker (Atia) and her boobs than the plot.

The casting was perfect, the plot better than average and I for one did not miss seeing lots and lots of battles just for the sake of it. The driving forces and development of the story was better served by keeping it somewhat low-key. And by that I don't mean the series were low-key, because it must have cost a fortune.

Also, Cicero isn't portrayed very flattering.

Josephus

Maybe. But the majority of people will probably not watch a tv series where the people were short, bald, and ugly with saggy tits and brown teeth.
The people need to be good looking, or the naked bits would be wasted. I mean really, when I see Octavia naked, I don't want to see underarm, leg hair and pubes that come up to her navel....

...but arguably, that's just me.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Indeed, I don't want to see ugly people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Do you mean just in the way they look or in the way they think and act? Because for the latter, IMO Rome does quite well, reflecting the totally different morality and way of life.