News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sengoku

Started by garbon, March 06, 2011, 11:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Because blood primogeniture does not apply in Feudal Japan.

Josquius

I`ve had a play on the demo and...hmm....I am sort of dissapointed I must say. It all feels rather like the Game of Thrones CK mod. Everyone is always at war with everyone and there`s little room for diplomacy to really come into play.
I chose the local boys, the Takadas, but somehow halfway through the game I was also the lord of another `duke` out in the west of Japan. For no apparent reason.
The way everything is just a grab as much land as you can thing is rather messy. My ally takes two provinces of a kuni whilst I take the other two...of two kunis. Couldn`t we swap so we both get an extra duchy? Nah, sorry. No can do.
Plots...no clue how they work and how you get people onside. Nor how you get people to like you/you to like them.
And just how many wives can you have anyway?
Upgrading provinces seems to just have the downside of less taxes in that province. Which is kinda cool. But...doesn`t it mean you can then build up a poor province into an awesome one really quickly if you don`t care about its taxes for a while?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I chose the Shoni and saw perpetual peace. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Demo was fun, but this is definitely MP material.  I can see SP being incredibly boring.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Richard Hakluyt

Agree with Habbaku, SP is pretty monotonous......take out an enemy, stabilise situation and prepare for next attack......

However, that simplicity could lead to great entertainment in MP.

Incidentally, had lots of bsods and freezes until I installed the very latest graphics driver. Since then it has worked fine.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 15, 2011, 01:40:35 AM
Agree with Habbaku, SP is pretty monotonous......take out an enemy, stabilise situation and prepare for next attack......

However, that simplicity could lead to great entertainment in MP.

Incidentally, had lots of bsods and freezes until I installed the very latest graphics driver. Since then it has worked fine.

Yes, but the EU games are also like that.

I am up for MPing, however.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 15, 2011, 01:48:38 AM
Yes, but the EU games are also like that.

I think for me, not knowing many of the principle characters triggers my lack of interest and then the game does nothing to inspire me to want to learn more.  Opposite with CK and EU1/2.  Not sure why that is as I did have a period of time where I enjoyed learning about the Sengoku period.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

What certainly should be tried for MP, is all players starting as the vassals of a single clan. :menace:

Drakken

Drakken

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2011, 07:44:28 AM
I think for me, not knowing many of the principle characters triggers my lack of interest and then the game does nothing to inspire me to want to learn more.  Opposite with CK and EU1/2.  Not sure why that is as I did have a period of time where I enjoyed learning about the Sengoku period.

It's a little put off, I admit. Usually most people who take interest in the Sengoku period concentrate on the Azuchi-Momoyama period, i.e. when Nobunaga was trouncing everyone and was burning monastaries to the ground with everyone inside, then Hideyoshi and Ieyasu take over and finish the job.

No one except scholars give a hoot about the Onin War, it's basically treated like a  local Colombian soccer riot (with swords) that ripples through Japan as civil servants take sides.

Ed Anger

I played the demo and was actually interested in the game but then remembered Paradox has burned me too much.

I'll wait for the inevitable 75% sale in a month. Full price my ass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

It is decided.
In conclusion the total war all wars are to the death, grab provinces while you can, minimal diplomacy options thing sucks.
Could work for folks who are into the whole mp thing but sp....nah.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 19, 2011, 04:45:59 PM
I'll wait for the inevitable 75% sale in a month. Full price my ass.

Yep.  When it goes way down in price, I will be interested enough to try for an MP game.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

garbon

Did anyone end up getting into this? This is one of the p'dox games that I've heard the least about.