Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2016, 05:52:31 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2016, 05:49:06 PM
I hate that movie.

I liked "Victory" better. 

Stupid Europeans.

Congratulations, you achieved butt hurt status!

Here are some European titles for you.

À nous la victoire

Fuga para a Vitória

Maladict

What's with the butt hurt obsession Duque?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on July 13, 2016, 03:18:26 AM
What's with the butt hurt obsession Duque?

You tell me, you are one of the leading experts on the topic. :)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 13, 2016, 02:55:15 AM

À nous la victoire

Fuga para a Vitória

lol, eggplant words. Thanksa lotta, greaseball!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2016, 06:01:16 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 13, 2016, 02:55:15 AM

À nous la victoire

Fuga para a Vitória

lol, eggplant words. Thanksa lotta, greaseball!

À nous la victoire eggplant? Keep going Comte de Largent!  :lmfao:

FunkMonk

Who doesn't enjoy hurting a good butt now and then?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Savonarola

Amos and Andy: Check and Double Check (1930)

Wholesome family entertainment straight from Jim Crow America.  This movie resembles a (((Marx Brother's))) movie more than anything in that there's the world inhabited by (white) upper crust society (with a pair of star crossed lovers); and there's the world inhabited by Amos and Andy where the funny stuff happens.  The two worlds only intersect tangentially.

Even ignoring all the offensive stereotypes in the film (Amos and Andy have to spend the night in a haunted house, imagine the laughs!); this one has problems.  It features the stars of the Amos and Andy show (Freemen Gosden and Charles Correll) who were both white men, so they play there roles in black face.  Also Gosden and Correll played multiple roles in the radio show; they could only do one here.  They did get another actor to play the Kingfish, but all the other characters had to be cut out; so much of the film is Amos and Andy doing their routine with only them on the screen.

The film is worth seeing to hear "Three Little Words" as sung by the Rhythm Boys (featuring Bing Crosby), seeing the street scenes of 1930 Harlem and seeing Duke Ellington perform with the Cotton Club Orchestra.  (This might be the only film appearance of the Cotton Club Orchestra with Duke Ellington; Cab Calloway would take over leadership in 1931.)

Two of the lighter skinned members of the Cotton Club had to put on black face, lest anyone think that the Cotton Club Orchestra was integrated.  At the time every state, and many cities had their own censorship board; so a mistake like that could well have stopped the film from being shown in the south.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Watched an episode and a half of Blunt Talk, Patrick Stewart's retirement paycheck.  He plays the host of an interview show.  Great fun if you like endless jokes about Poms getting aroused by being spanked, otherwise not.  I pass.

Josephus

Anyone watch new HBO crime show?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Love & Mercy - the life and madness of Brian Wilson. Pretty decent, particularly the 60s scenes with Paul Dano - some of those trying to reproduce how he went about creating music are particularly great. The 1980s storyline about him getting rid of his Svengali-esque shrink is a bit more trite.

Maladict

Rewatched Adams Æbler, still funny as fuck. Mads Mikkelsen ftw.

Savonarola

Song O' My Heart (1930)

Of course Hollywood of the 1930s was open minded about their stereotypes.  In this picture, your friends and mine from the Emerald Isle, Pat and Mike, entertain us with their gab and Blarney.

Most of the film is singing by the great Irish tenor, John McCormack.  There's a plot about a woman who John has always loved, but married another man for money at her aunt's bidding and then there's Irish character actors, doing Irish things all Irishy; but most of these are set ups for songs.  McCormack was a gifted singer, and the late 20s and early 30s were a time when male tenors were all the rage; he does a mix of opera and traditional Irish songs throughout the film.

In addition to John McCormack, the film is notable for being Maureen O'Sullivan's (Jane from the Johnny Wiessmuller Tarzan films) screen debut.

The film was shot for sound, but there's a "Jazz Singer" type version where everything but the singing is silent; but since it was acted out as a talkie the silent version is unwatchable.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock