News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Caught the season 2 openers for Killjoys and Dark Matter - both were solid and I am looking forward to how these seasons progress.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Liep on July 07, 2016, 03:52:40 PM
Something tells me Clarkson's new show will trump Top Gear

I hope that's a hellcat.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2016, 02:03:53 PM
Caught the season 2 openers for Killjoys and Dark Matter - both were solid and I am looking forward to how these seasons progress.
Dark Matter has evolved nicely.  Killjoys is still very, very good.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Minions, why did I miss this last year? Good Sunday afternoon relax fun.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 11, 2016, 08:35:52 AM
Minions, why did I miss this last year? Good Sunday afternoon relax fun.
the 1st one is fantastic, the second one a little less, the 3rd one is kinda boring for an adult.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2016, 09:09:36 AM
There's only 1, viper.

I guess he's including the Despicable me ones.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on July 11, 2016, 09:22:14 AM
There's only 1, viper.

I guess he's including the Despicable me ones.

Despicable 1 and 2 somehow manage to feel like Minions sequels even though they came before it  :lol:

viper37

There's only 1, viper.
Despicable me.  The little yellow things that all kids love.  Doesn't matter the title, they're all Minions to me. ;)

Valmy

My kids don't love them. They are neither Pokemon nor do they have wheels. It might also help them if they were dinosaurs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

The Pay Off (1930)

John Waters once said something to the effect that there's no such thing as a bad movie, if  you get bored with the story, look at the lamps.  This film is one for the lamp watchers.  The sets are fantastic art deco pieces the story is neither fantastic nor art deco.

Lowell Sherman (both the director and the star) is a gentleman bandit who runs the mob in New York.  He insists on no killing; but his underling, Rocky, chafes under these orders.  Rocky has stolen Lowell's moll and now he's gunning to take over the gang.  Also there's two young kids Lowell has taken under his wing.  In any event in the end we learn a valuable lesson; that crime does not pay.1.

The acting is hammy, the direction is so incompetent that Lowell has his eyes shut throughout many of the dialogue scenes.

1.)  Message not valid in the state of Louisiana, state of Illinois or city of Detroit.  Void where prohibited.  You must be 18 in order to receive the message.  Ask your physician if going on the straight and narrow is right for you.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2016, 10:13:19 AM
My kids don't love them. They are neither Pokemon nor do they have wheels. It might also help them if they were dinosaurs.
allright.  the yellow things lots of kids do like, as evidenced by my nieces who went totally cracy when I gave them #1,#2 and 3 over the space of 3 months for their anniversaries and Christmas.
Satisfied, now, nitpickers? :D

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 11, 2016, 01:31:42 PM
allright.  the yellow things lots of kids do like, as evidenced by my nieces who went totally cracy when I gave them #1,#2 and 3 over the space of 3 months for their anniversaries and Christmas.
Satisfied, now, nitpickers? :D

It wasn't a criticism :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

A little chaos
Louis XIV chief architect makes the bold decision of hiring a woman to design a particular part of the garden, some kind of vegetal greek theater.
He hires her because she does not believe in "order", the main design influence prevailing in landscape design at the time, apparently.

Loves ensue between the main protagonists.  Louis XIV gets confused for a minor noble at some point which is probably the best sequence of the movie as he's played by Alan Rickman, proving he can do non bad guys just as well too.
Otherwise, it's pretty boring and predictable.  The camera often pans to reveal the beauty of the landscape, but it's often wasted as it will immediatly focus on a single flower or fruit.  Only the end shot, as the camera slowly zooms out of the project to reveal the entire Versailles garden, and you see how miniscule the part really is, despite being the focus of so many workers and so much drama.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on July 11, 2016, 01:36:59 PM
A little chaos
Louis XIV chief architect makes the bold decision of hiring a woman to design a particular part of the garden, some kind of vegetal greek theater.
He hires her because she does not believe in "order", the main design influence prevailing in landscape design at the time, apparently.

Loves ensue between the main protagonists.  Louis XIV gets confused for a minor noble at some point which is probably the best sequence of the movie as he's played by Alan Rickman, proving he can do non bad guys just as well too.
Otherwise, it's pretty boring and predictable.  The camera often pans to reveal the beauty of the landscape, but it's often wasted as it will immediatly focus on a single flower or fruit.  Only the end shot, as the camera slowly zooms out of the project to reveal the entire Versailles garden, and you see how miniscule the part really is, despite being the focus of so many workers and so much drama.

I thought it was a light hearted way to pass the time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.