And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Drakken on July 02, 2016, 10:05:08 AM
Quote from: frunk on June 28, 2016, 01:57:53 PM
Kurt Russell is far too affable a personality to be menacing.  Before the end of act 1 reveal I didn't find him menacing at all.  Even after he's revealed as a crazed killer I was like "what a nice guy".

Kurt Russell, too affable? :huh: Escape from New York? Tombstone? Escape from LA?

Kurt is not affable??!?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: Malthus on July 02, 2016, 10:25:49 AM
Quote from: Liep on July 02, 2016, 03:31:34 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2016, 03:28:11 AM
Sopranos all wrapped up, back onto Band of Brothers.  Eindhoven episode.

Question for the western Euros: after liberation, when chicks who banged Krauts were pissed on, is that generally considered a really cool thing, or not such a cool thing?

Not a cool thing. My granddad who was in the resistance once said that those girls were abused by posers who just slapped on a resistance band after the war.

1. Passively collaborate with Nazis/keep head down under Nazi rule

2. The instant Nazis lose, loudly proclaim allegiance to Resistance

3. Cement reputation as active Resistance member by loudly and publicly heaping abuse on women who slept with Germans - lead the jeering crowds

4. Gain heroic reputation without the slightest risk

;)

Not saying it was a bad strategy, but still not cool. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on July 02, 2016, 10:46:56 AM
Not saying it was a bad strategy, but still not cool. :P

You mean to tell me self-righteous bullying and abuse of easy targets helpless to respond, without the slightest risk, simply to make oneself more popular, is now a bad thing?  :hmm:

Take that, Internet!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Robin Hardy, director of The Wicker Man, has died :(

More for the Brits, very sad news about Caroline Aherne (Mrs Merton, Scorchio! and the Royale Family) dying at 52 :(
Let's bomb Russia!

frunk

Kurt Russell, too affable? :huh: Escape from New York? Tombstone? Escape from LA?

I just want to ruffle his hair and go "oh you!"

Tonitrus

Quote from: frunk on June 28, 2016, 01:57:53 PM
Kurt Russell is far too affable a personality to be menacing.  Before the end of act 1 reveal I didn't find him menacing at all.  Even after he's revealed as a crazed killer I was like "what a nice guy".

EFNY is a good, campy movie...but Snake Pliskin doesn't really come off as terribly menacing.  And EFLA just takes the campiness and dunks into into more, deep fried campiness.

CountDeMoney

I guess even after Big Trouble in Little China, The Thing, Dark Blue or dozen other action flicks, maybe Frunk never got past Kurt Russell's years at Disney.

The Brain

He isn't the monster in The Thing. Or is he?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

His most menacing character was Captain Ron.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2016, 04:14:40 PM
I guess even after Big Trouble in Little China, The Thing, Dark Blue or dozen other action flicks, maybe Frunk never got past Kurt Russell's years at Disney.

did he have a tragic vegetable chopping accident?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on July 02, 2016, 04:21:15 PM

You just weren't paying attention to the 1970s, were you?

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on July 02, 2016, 09:11:38 AM
I haven't watched the 4th season so I don't know if that one's good, but I have always dug the "cynical version of West Wing" angle of House of Cards once he gets to the top.

It doesn't help with getting overtly/blatantly preachy with its plot devices (e.g. gun control and NSA/phone tapping).  And the "zomg, this Google-esque search engine basically controls votes, human free will means nothing!" malarky.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2016, 04:27:18 PM

Couldn't blame him if he wasn't.

HVC

... I wasn't alive in the 70s :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on July 02, 2016, 04:28:26 PM

... I wasn't alive in the 70s :unsure:

:secret:  That argument will only make him angrier.